Advent Legacy III

Submitted by Lonny a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2014

Bottom Line:
I went to Nobody Beats The Wiz with my dad back in '95 to do some stereo shopping...I was picking out items for him because he always knew my knowledge of all mid line stereo equipment was as good as any pro....He called me over to listen to a pair of the Advent Legacy IIIs and I told him that they sounded phenomenal....We quickly learned that as 2 way speakers, they weren't very expensive either(about $500 for the pair) Over the past 19 years, he's only used them about 20 odd times or so...Their current condition is perfect....They were parked then and never moved to this day......At the time, I had incredible speakers and thought nothing of owning another pair because I had 2 perfect pairs that honestly were just slightly better than these...I bought my 1990 3 way Infinity's at Goodwill...I paid $75 for the pair...I looked around and found out that they costed around $900 brand new....They were slightly smaller than the legacy IIIs but supported 200 watts and I knew I bumped into a steal....Aside from a moth hole the size of a small nail head on 1 of the grills, these too were perfect entirely......Here we are now and those Infinity's are long gone along with the other pair.....I'm looking forward to claiming these soon because my dad no longer listens to music from a rack system....On a scale of 1-10 they are a perfect 10 and are approaching their 20th birthday soon..The build quality compares to every expensive speaker I ever owned....These are paper cones and nowadays paper cone speakers are practically non existent.....With their low mileage and having never been played very loud they are certain to hold easily for many more years ....I wish I could show a picture of them right now....Everybody would drool at their flawless condition.......Of course, I'd consider selling them but If they were bought at $500 then, I'd have to ask for at least around twice that much now because they are all original and perfect through and through......Yep , I'm missing the boxes, those were thrown away at the time.......BTW, you should see this Yamaha KX-W952 fully pro logic cassette deck that was purchased on that same day,,perhaps the most expensive cassette deck I've ever seen and it's only been used twice in 19 years,,,LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2013

Bottom Line:
takes good clean power to drive these babes, quite simply these are the best speakers i ever heard, so natural sounding you can hear everything with no coloration

Submitted by music nut a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2012

Bottom Line:
There is nothing that compares to these awesome vintage speakers. I bought a brand new pair of Infinity towers and they sound good but do not compare to the great sound of the famous Advents. What a shame they don't exist anymore. I need a refoam on the woofers,so I called up Simply Speakers.com and asked him if I should refoam or replace the woofers. He said what ever you do, DO NOT replace those speakers. He couldn't believe I was even suggesting it. Advent speakers at the time were the best speakers around. If you can find a pair of these speakers snag'em ,no matter what condition they're in. You can always fix them. I've heard a lot of speakers in my time and its hard to beat Advent Legacy 3's.

Submitted by ToyCannon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
Appoximately one year ago I was looking to purchase a third set of speakers to pair with a Yamaha 65 watt amp to use in my home office/study. Just by chance I stumbled upon a pair of used Advent Legacy IIIs advertised on Craigs List. Having heard the famous Advent sound over thirty years ago while in college I was intrigued by the possibilities. Previously I'd owned Bose as well as JBL speakers. To make a long story short. I decided to go for it and purchased a pair of these gems for the outragious price of $75.00 cash. The cabinets were in great shape and when I got these babies home and connected them with the Yamaha amp,,,,it was music made in heaven. I could not believe sound quality that came from these speakers. Well balance tonal quality, very nice lows as well as highs, and over all just a natural awsome sounding speaker.
I feel like I need to go into the witness protection program for purchasing these great speakers at the price that I got them for. I still like my Bose and the JBLs are still fantastic, but my new old Advents complete the Tremendous Trio....................

Submitted by BROOKLYN a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2010

Bottom Line:
WOW!! WHAT A GREAT SOUNDING SPEEKER!!!! I PURCHASED MY FIRST SET OF SPEEKERS FROM A STORE CALLED "NOBODY BEATS THE WIZ" I TOOK YOU WAY BACK DIDN'T I ? LOL! ANYWAY, I STILL HAVE MY VERY FIRST PAIR AND THEY SOUND SO CLEAR. THE BASS IS LOW AND WELL FELT .THE MIDRANGE ARE SO CLEAR YOU CAN HEAR EVERY INSTRUMENT IN THE BACKGROUND. I LOVE MY ADVENT LEGACY III SPEEKERS. I CAN'T BELEVE THEY LAST THIS LONG. BEFORE I PURCHASHED THESE ADVENT LEGACY III . I OWN A SET OF BOSE 501 . I THOUGHT THESE WHERE THE BEST SPEEKER I EVER HEARD IN MY LIFE. BUT, SAD TO SAY MY BOSE 501 DID NOT STAND THE TEST OF TIME. LET ME TELL YOU WHAT HAD HAPPEN! I WAS JAMMING ON MY BIRTHDAY WITH SOME FRIEND'S AND THE UNEXPECTED THING HAPPEN...THE BOSE 501 STOP WORKING. THAT'S RIGHT !!! IT JUST STOP WORKING . NO SOUND NO SMOKE OR FIRE. THAT'S RIGHT YOU GUEST IT!!!! PARTY IS OVER. I WAS SO HEATED!!!! SO, ON THE NEXT DAY I CALLED BOSE CO. TO TELL THEM WHAT HAD HAPPEN. YOU WILL NOT BELEVE WHAT THE BOSE REP TOLD ME!! THIS MOTHER SAID WITH A LAID BACK REPLY AND SAID THE SPEEKER ONLY HAVE A LIFE SPAN OF 90DAYS AFTER PURCHASHED SIR. WHATA! WHATA!! MANN!! THEN I SAID , SO HOW MUCH WILL IT COST TO FIX IT ? THEN HE SAID , IT WILL COST ME $385.54 TO FIX IT. I'M SAD TO SAY I HAD TO LAY MY BOSE 501 SPEEKERS TO REST THAT DAY. ON THE NEXT I WENT TO THE WIZ TO SEE WHAT KIND OF SPEEKERS THEY HAD.AND THAT DAY I FELLED IN LOVE WITH THE SWEET SEXY SOUNDING ADVENT LEGACY III SPEEKERS!!!! I WENT TWO DAYS WITHOUT SOUNDS IN MY HOUSE.NOW! IT'S A PARTY EVERY DAY SENCE AUGUST 15 1994 TILL NOW! DON'T STOP THE MUSIC!!!!!! THERE ARE SPEEKERS OUT THERE THAT COST THOUSAND OF DOLLARS THAT SOUND JUST AS GOOD OR BETTER. BUT, WILL THEY LAST 16 YEARS AND COUNTING? AND STILL SOUND GREAT! MAYBE I HAVE A GOOD EAR FOR QAULITY OR MAYBE I JUST AT THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME!! I THINK I AM ONE OF THE LUCKY ONE'S THAT PURCHASHED A REALY GOOD PRODUCT.
FRANK C. FROM BROOKLY,NY 2/2010.