ads M-12 Floorstanding Speakers

4.67/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $2000.00

Submitted by Charles English a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2017

Bottom Line:
Two tweaks that costs nothing bi-wire them they will have more airiness in the treble and remove the flocking behind the metal grills (place heavy towle on the. driveway and hose them and scrub with a hand scrub rush you'll be able to see the drivers behind the grills,cool!

Submitted by Timber Image a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2014

Bottom Line:
I purchased mine new, back when I worked at an ADS dealer. These were a real step up in sound quality over the previous L series. They were quite a bit more money( to be fair, a bit pricey) then the L models, and the current ADS fans were a bit put off by the lack off the domed mid range which had captivated so many previously. However, once I got them to actually sit down, and do a side by side listen, they all agreed the M series were better. One funny story I like to recount, is an older customer who told me " The 1590's are too shouty ! " Love that term, "Shouty" ! Made me laugh then ,still makes me laugh now ! What he was trying to say was that the 1590's were too forward and strident in the upper midrange, especially at higher levels. A real problem for the L series. The domed mid had nice sound, (albeit on the brighter side) at moderate to low levels, but when pushed, they'd take your head off ! Even more so with grainy lower end electronics ! Not as bad with tubes, but still a tad too bright and forward even with valves. One other note, the M series were a little more demanding and benefitted from higher current amps. However, both L & M models benefit with using higher current amps. But then again, most speakers benefit from this as well. You can run these with smaller amps, but they really come into their own with proper amplification . I ran mine originally with a McIntosh MC2205, then switched to an Adcom GFA-5800, and now they are running with a Rotel RB-990. However, I did run these with a Rotel 100 wpc integrated when the Adcom first took a dump. (Zapped by a storm surge ! ) And the Rotel RA-980 did an admirable job. Played the speakers, for the most part, at their full potential.
If you get a chance to actually listen to these, you'll find they are as musical a speaker, and as beautifully built as anything under 3 grand today. And that's a conservative number ...
Too bad ADS left the Consumer Audio biz, but then again, at least they made what they did. I know I'll never part with mine ...

Submitted by Tom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
Replaced a pair of highly rated Athenas with this pair of 20yr old vintage M12s and all I can say is...aaaaaah! Wonderful range, tone, completly listenable at high levels. Just beautiful sound. Can't believe I waited this long to get a pair of true audiophile grade speakers. These are far better than anything in the price range today, even at priginal retail prices. Can't say enough about the sound. Wonderful!!!!

Submitted by Holy_Cow! a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2011

Bottom Line:
Paid $200. These speakers are great. I used to have AR speakers (various Ar3's, 4's, etc) when you could buy them cheap in years past. Always liked the accuracy of sealed design speakers and the ADS M-12's have that good tight bass. I use them as my main stereo speakers and as the front speakers for my HT setup. I have Advent Heritage towers for the surrounds. The Advents used to be my main speakers and are are a good match for the ADS M-12's. The ADS have two 8" drivers, a mid, and tweeter per cabinet while the Advents have two 8" and a tweeter per side. I use a Klipsch C-5 (two 6.5" and horn ) for the center channel. I rounded it out with a Infinity PS-12 subwoofer and have the sub turned way down due to the ADS and Advent combo giving nice movie bass as it is. Back to the ADS, this is my first pair and they are now my main speakers, work for me and they are beautiful to look at. I like the old speakers for real wood cabinet trim, not a big fan of the "plastic" look but then again I'm a little older. One thing though, these Advents and the ADS crave power, I'll need to upgrade receiver soon. I have a pair of behemoth sized (two 12", two 5" mids, and an Electrovoice horn per cabinet) RSL 6600h speakers that were made for large recordingor theater installations that will go SO LOUD but thw wife won't let those beasts into the living room, no way! They are relegated to my tiny little home recording space where it's a shame really, but they sound good for mixing. So in conclusion: if you have a chance to buy these ADS M-12's do so, they will be keepers for me.

Submitted by lieder17 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2006

Bottom Line:
These fine speakers seem to get short shrift when compared to the earlier xx90
or x10 generation. Well, IMHO, it's time to rethink that. I have owned 8 different models of ads (yes, I'm an ads fan), including the 810, 1090, 1290, and 1590. The M12 can hold their own against any of them. I did direct comparison of my L1090's and M12's, and the M12's have all the mid range and HF clarity of the 1090's, with more bass. I think the M12's are less efficient - I have to turn up the volume of my Yamaha C80/M80 combo higher to get the same volume level. The M12 compares very well with the 1090 (which some people think is the best of the xx90 family). The M12 throws a very wide soundstage, with very good detail. There is little sense you are listening to speakers, which I think is a high achievement. Fit and finish are exceptional, with bookmatched walnut veneer finish and bronze metal grills. They are big, but attractive. These speakers sound great with classical, jazz, and rock music. I think they are a great buy used, and if you can find any of the ads speakers mentioned in this review used, you won't be sorry you bought them. The M12 is one very fine speaker.

Purchased At:   craigslist