Acoustic Research Edge Floorstanding Speakers

4.42/5 (26 Reviews)

Weather-resistant and video-shielded, AR's Edge is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. Each molded-polymer, ported enclosure houses a 1" polycarbonate dome tweeter and a 5-1/4" driver mounted on a flared front baffle.

Submitted by Beeker a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2012

Bottom Line:
I am running a full acoustic research 5 channel theater/stereo on a harman kardon 5ch preamp with an HK 5x80 amplifier. Using ar20's with matching ar center with the ar edge at surround. The easy mounting takes the cake. Comparing products i own of same characteristics size/quality etc... B&K, Paradighm, Klipsch, Boston acoustics, Jbl etc...the acoustic research edge keeps up with all very well hands down. Even with a pair spening $800+tax I prefer these in this system above all. I now run/own 4 different home theater sytems atm in my home(out of more than 30 iv had(none were ht in a box) in the past 15 years) this AR being 1 of them The Edges do their job very well

Submitted by Bahn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I had a Cambridge Center Channel Plus that meshed badly with my AR Edge Sequel speakers. You need to crank up the volume to adequately here the voices in that muffled box. After having this lousy set up of mine for nearly a year, I decided to look for a center speaker that will go with the Sequels perfectly. And then I remembered that HC1, HC2 packages from AR. They used the same satellite speaker as the center. So here it is 150 Watts, of AR Edge with good mid-range and highs. The bass is similar to the Sequel but with more life into it since it uses a bass reflex design. And remember, what our satellite speakers can't achieve, that's where those muscled subwoofers work on.
The binding post terminal is also good since the more seriously designed centers do use binding posts.
I got it as a single piece speaker instead of a pair from Vanns.com which is quite convenient since I really just needed one.

Purchased At:   Vanns.com

Submitted by Yards a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased a pair of AR Edge for use outdoors. After they arrived I took the opportunity to take one of my Polk front speakers to be repaired and hooked these up indoors as my mains, with a powered subwoofer. I was impressed, sounded almost as good as my Polks. I installed them outdoors 2 years ago and they still sound great. I really like the flexibility that the unique mounting brackes offer. I have mine mounted about 17 feet apart, 7 feet high, angled down and slightly inward. After hearing them 2 of my friends also purchased these for their patio areas. My sister also loved these speakers, I just purchased her a paid for christmas(for $58.00 a pair on Ubid)and she'll love them. These compare well with Klipsch SB1.1's and Wharfedale Anniversary 7.2's.

Purchased At:   J&R

Submitted by skyhawk182 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
Fine speaker for outdoor use, or as rear surronnds. Bass is limited, but for rears, they are perfect.

Purchased At:   soundpros.com

Submitted by Brian B a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
Received my speakers 2-3 days ago and have had a some time to test these speakers a-b with my other speakers as well as with different amplifiers. I am writing this review based on the the fact that Acoustic Research has a list price of $350.00/pr and Crutchfield sells them as $199.00/pr speakers. Only fair to first compare them in there league where AR is marketing them pricewise and then touch on the fact that I paid only $68.00 for them.

I first hooked up the AR's to my Denon AVR1700 receiver and played some acoustic guitar music. My first impression was that the higher strings had an incredible realism to them. In fact there were some subtle sounds that I heard from the guitar strings that I had previously not heard on my Paradigms. As I auditioned more songs I felt that there was kind of a tubby or over exagerated lower mid-bass coming from the speaker. I also felt that even for a small speaker the bass was just not there. When I got around to doing A-B comparisons b/w the AR's and the Paradigm Titans ($220.00/pr) there was a very large difference. Where the Paradigms had bass and seemed to disappear when I closed my eyes. The AR's had little bass and what bass they did have had kind of a bloated sound. Also, the AR's did not disappear when I closed my eyes and had a less smooth overall sound. The sountstage from side to side that the speakers produced was fantastic, however, the depth was not there.

I next hooked up the AR's to my Luxman LV-112 integrated amp. All the aspects of what I previously wrote were all true yet but less so. There was more bass and less tubby mid-bass.

Overall, in the $150.00 to 200.00 there are better sounding speakers to be had for sheer sound quality. But for the the $68.00 I paid I think they are a great deal. After all is said and done these speakers do still produce descent sound, they look great, and they are very versatile.

After auditioning the AR's in my living room these speakers have found their home in my daughters room with the Luxman. She has no complaints...she's only 14 months old.

Purchased At:   ubid

Over the Edge

Still a great piece of work -- listened to this more than any Yes record, that's for sure. Aggro, rollicking-- aggro, rollicking. Greg Sage could play guitar so well..............it was 1983. Next month will mark the 30th year of my life...............I'm still younger than most of y'all. ~RaeRead More »

Close To The Edge

Still a great piece of work -- listened to this coming into town this morning. Tension, resolve -- tension, resolve. They could write that so well..............it was 1972. Next year will mark the 40th year of this stuff...............I'm old.Read More »

How's this for cutting edge tube technology?

[url]http://esoteric.teac.com/amplifiers_&_preamps/a-100/[/url] Let's hope the sound is unbelievable, the power rating is fairly low and I can't believe it's too overly under estimated with just four KT-88's, another link I found showed a price of only $19k [url]http://www.soundstage.com/reveq ... Read More »

How can I adjust the tone arm so it does not miss the edge of the record?

I recently purchased a Garrard 440M record changer turntable. I want to play stacks of 33 1/3 and 45 rpm records. I have the long spindle and a 45 automatic adaptor, so I can stack either kind of record. Here's my problem. No matter which way I turn the adjustment screw at the base of the tone arm, ... Read More »

New Edge Question

I just put one of those new foam surrounds on my Marantz's. My question is, how long does the glue need to cure before I can try them out? I don't want to ruin the work I did.Read More »