Acoustic Research AR9 Floorstanding Speakers

4.59/5 (59 Reviews) MSRP : $1300.00

Submitted by Charles a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2017

Bottom Line:
This is a review of a pair of vintage 1982 Teledyne Acoustic Research AR9 Speakers. They are massive speakers weighing 130+lbs each. Once you replace the foam surrounds you're in for a real treat cause these speakers are simply amazing sounding when driven with a proper power amp. They are sealed enclosures with acoustic suspension drivers so they require a TON of power to really make them sing. I'm driving mine with a Conrad Johnson Premier 350SA. The CJ350 can produce 350W+ for 8ohm or 780W for 4ohm. The gigantic 4ohm AR9's desire a ton of current and the 350 can deliver everything the AR9's ask for. When driven with the 350, the AR9's BASS is simply out of this world articulate and dynamic. I just love listening to music that gets down into that 20-32Hz range. The AR9's can deliver all those low 20Hz signals most systems just can't reproduce. For the record the literature that comes with the AR9 speakers state their frequency range as 18Hz-20KHz +-3db. 18Hz!!! The soundstage of the AR9 is just gigantic with palpable liquid smooth 3D holographic imaging which brings that elusive engaging excitement for the listener creating goosebumps on body and permanent dumbfounded smile on shaking head & face. I've simply never heard BASS reproduced in a home setting as well as the combo of the AR9 + 350. For a preamp I'm using a vintage McIntosh MX110Z. The MX110Z + 350 + AR9 is simply the most amazing stereo combo I've owned. For the record I've owned speakers: Harbeth Monitor 40.1, B&W 800 Diamond series, Klipsch KG 4.2, '76 Cornwall, '88 LaScala, '80 Klipschorn, Tannoy Monitor Gold 15", AR4x & AR3. Other gear: McIntosh MC30, MC402, MC2105, Marantz 8b, Yamaha RX350, V660. Checkout Martin Colloms review of the Premier 350SA power amp: https://www.durob.nl/pdf/ConradJohnson/Amplifiers/PR350%20Amplifier%20-%20Martin%20Colloms%20-%20english.pdf

Submitted by Odd E. O. Dude a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2016

Bottom Line:
Original late 70's AR9's, just restored them with new surrounds. Sound absolutely great, had to bypass the crossover selector switches as they were introducing spurious static and dropouts to tweeter and upper mid drivers in one channel. These speakers truly can "send you to another place" as you get lost in the music. I ran them for years at very high volumes but put them into storage after arrival of children and "surround rot". A few hundred bills later for 6 new surrounds and now I remember why they are so special. Crossovers built like tanks, 2 nine pound woofers in each cabinet, ability to drive them to jet aircraft at takeoff SPL's (which I won't do out of respect for the speakers and my remaining hearing), able to be passively bi amped - which I am doing with 2 mid 1980's BGW Proline II 6500 amplifiers. Nothing short of spectacular and will probably last now as long as a "new" set of $5,000.00 speakers assembled in "North America with outsourced parts". Highly recommended!

Submitted by Takis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2013

Bottom Line:
I was never happy with my sound system back in the early 70s then spoken to Dan Logins who was working for CBS Europe in London Luckily he told me he was getting a ew pair of speakers from America n I could bought his if I wanted to, after going to his office I was faced with a white pine n white cloth speakers I was not impressed till he put on Santana on the T/T I knew then I was buying them my first pair of ARs the AR4s, B4 ARs came to Britain then moved on to a brand new pair of AR5s that I still have I started buying AR speakers from Ebay as I love them I had pair of AR 48s a pair of AR 14s only two drivers But excellent sound then saw a pair of AR9s the 42inches high 55 Kilos weight drove 350 miles round trip n bought them as I Always wanted them but could not afford them when they where new mine are not the ones with 2 X12 inch drivers one side firing but a 12 inch forward n a 10 inch down firing speaker but through lack of space I gave the AR14s n the AR 48s to couple of friends my amp is a JVC M3030 (20 Kilos) n the pre amp P3030 with MC input stage too the sound of the AR9s for my taste is about the best I heard even few days ago I hooked up my AR5s n they gave a good account of themselves next to the AR9s my AR9s Frequency response is 28 Hertz to 25KHertz very flat Shure Cardridge of course, my AR9s have 5 units in them, the 12 n 10 an 8 inch mid range n two tweeters I always loved the sound of AR speakers over all other speakers I know of, my amp on 4 OHMS load AR9 are 4 OHMS o my mates osiloscope if I remember right was around 150 watts RMS only drove them once MAX n the sound volume was HIGH but still NO distortion I usually drive them about half to 3/4 volume on the amp usually for me the Best speakers on earth

Submitted by Richard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2013

Bottom Line:
I've had these speakers for about 10 years now. I've upgraded my amps and receivers through out the years. Even tho they need some fine turning, they are some great speakers. About 3 years ago I've purchased a thousand dollar pair of Klipsch to replace my AR9's and was surprisingly disappointed with the the Klipsch! They sounded good in the sound room! However, I ended up selling them and put my AR9's back up.. I swear the older these speakers get and more these speakers are played the better they sound! IF you find them, then get them!. They are a rare find!

Submitted by born2hammr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have read the reviews of the AR9 made in the 1980's and have come to the conclusion that those not satisfied do not have adequate amplifier. These speakers need a lot of power to work. I would say that an older vintage amp with AT LEAST 120 WPC would get you close. Something like a vintage Pioneer SX 1250, 1280 or really an SX 1980 would be best. The power of a 1250 is 160 WPC, a 1980 is 270 WPC. FYI to those who are running a moder surround sound Home Theater reciver rated at 1,2 or even 300 WPC those are not the same. The comparison in laymens terms is saying my Turbo Toyota 4 cylinder has 225 HP and my Dodge Ram 360 V*8 has 225 HP. The difference between old high quality amps as mentioned and new ones is the same as these engines-Torque. New recievers, unless you are willing to spend in the thousands have no torque. They are designed to be used with a self powered subwoofer to get those deep low's. The AR9 needs torque. If you don't have it they will not perform. They are a Bass Reflex, meaning sealed cabinet speaker that loves power. As I stated very few but the most powerful and expensive amps will drive them. A circa late 70's SX 1980 in todays dollars would cost around 4 or 5 thousand dollars.