Acoustic Research AR9 Floorstanding Speakers

4.58/5 (57 Reviews) MSRP : $1300.00

Submitted by Takis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2013

Bottom Line:
I was never happy with my sound system back in the early 70s then spoken to Dan Logins who was working for CBS Europe in London Luckily he told me he was getting a ew pair of speakers from America n I could bought his if I wanted to, after going to his office I was faced with a white pine n white cloth speakers I was not impressed till he put on Santana on the T/T I knew then I was buying them my first pair of ARs the AR4s, B4 ARs came to Britain then moved on to a brand new pair of AR5s that I still have I started buying AR speakers from Ebay as I love them I had pair of AR 48s a pair of AR 14s only two drivers But excellent sound then saw a pair of AR9s the 42inches high 55 Kilos weight drove 350 miles round trip n bought them as I Always wanted them but could not afford them when they where new mine are not the ones with 2 X12 inch drivers one side firing but a 12 inch forward n a 10 inch down firing speaker but through lack of space I gave the AR14s n the AR 48s to couple of friends my amp is a JVC M3030 (20 Kilos) n the pre amp P3030 with MC input stage too the sound of the AR9s for my taste is about the best I heard even few days ago I hooked up my AR5s n they gave a good account of themselves next to the AR9s my AR9s Frequency response is 28 Hertz to 25KHertz very flat Shure Cardridge of course, my AR9s have 5 units in them, the 12 n 10 an 8 inch mid range n two tweeters I always loved the sound of AR speakers over all other speakers I know of, my amp on 4 OHMS load AR9 are 4 OHMS o my mates osiloscope if I remember right was around 150 watts RMS only drove them once MAX n the sound volume was HIGH but still NO distortion I usually drive them about half to 3/4 volume on the amp usually for me the Best speakers on earth

Submitted by Richard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2013

Bottom Line:
I've had these speakers for about 10 years now. I've upgraded my amps and receivers through out the years. Even tho they need some fine turning, they are some great speakers. About 3 years ago I've purchased a thousand dollar pair of Klipsch to replace my AR9's and was surprisingly disappointed with the the Klipsch! They sounded good in the sound room! However, I ended up selling them and put my AR9's back up.. I swear the older these speakers get and more these speakers are played the better they sound! IF you find them, then get them!. They are a rare find!

Submitted by born2hammr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have read the reviews of the AR9 made in the 1980's and have come to the conclusion that those not satisfied do not have adequate amplifier. These speakers need a lot of power to work. I would say that an older vintage amp with AT LEAST 120 WPC would get you close. Something like a vintage Pioneer SX 1250, 1280 or really an SX 1980 would be best. The power of a 1250 is 160 WPC, a 1980 is 270 WPC. FYI to those who are running a moder surround sound Home Theater reciver rated at 1,2 or even 300 WPC those are not the same. The comparison in laymens terms is saying my Turbo Toyota 4 cylinder has 225 HP and my Dodge Ram 360 V*8 has 225 HP. The difference between old high quality amps as mentioned and new ones is the same as these engines-Torque. New recievers, unless you are willing to spend in the thousands have no torque. They are designed to be used with a self powered subwoofer to get those deep low's. The AR9 needs torque. If you don't have it they will not perform. They are a Bass Reflex, meaning sealed cabinet speaker that loves power. As I stated very few but the most powerful and expensive amps will drive them. A circa late 70's SX 1980 in todays dollars would cost around 4 or 5 thousand dollars.

Submitted by Rob Chapman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have been reading a lot of reviews of these speakers and have come to one conclusion when it comes to why people are not satisfied with the circa 1980 speakers. They do not have an amplifier with enought power. These speakers harken from the day when almost all very high end speakers were of the bass reflex design, in other words a sealed cabinet, unless you are talking about Bose 901's which are different story. They require at least a 150 watt amp. Not a 150 watt surrond sound 7.watever either. I am talking about something like a sansui g33000 or a Pioneer SX1250, 1280 or better yet 1980. Unless you spend 3,4,500 dollars on a modern amplifier your 120 watt two year old Pioneer will not do it. They will have little depth in terms of bass and none at low volumes. On person was complaining about them and then proceeded say they were using a 100 watt Pioneer VSX-D812-S reciever. That unit is does not have half what these speakers need in terms of power. FYI most modern amplifiers are designed to be accomplanied by a SELF POWERED SUBWOOFER! That is why these days you get much more bang for the buck. Properly powered it would be hard not to spend less than 3 or 4 thousand dollars on a speaker that can achieve what an AR9 can.

Submitted by gknutson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2008

Bottom Line:
I purchased these speakers around 1978 or 9. I had heard a Double Advent system a few years before at an audiophile store, Commercial Electronics in Vancouver, BC, Canada, and was impressed. The AR9 was, basically, a pair of AR11's in the same cabinet. I had also listened to other AR's and had been impressed, and fantisized of getting a pair of some. I read a review in High Fidelity magazine and was convinced to give them a listen. I found them in Vancouver, and was really impressed! The Vancouver price was $2000 Cdn EACH though at that time when they first came out.

One idea down in flames.

I mantioned it to the owner of a stereo store in town here, and he did some research. He said he could get them for $1750, tax included. Needless to say, I jumped at it. Took a loan out at the bank and they were mine.

At the time I was using a small Yamaha R600 receiver. Underpowered for high volume, but fine at low levels. Shortly after I got the Luxman R1120 receiver. It drove the AR's well, but again did not quite have the oomph that they needed, since it was only rated at 120 watts per channel. Still, the rest of the range was impressing. They sounded, basically, as clear as the B&W DM4's that I was using before the ARs, but had a LOT more bass. But I knew it would do better.

I paid off the loans in a couple of months and looked around again. I found a store going out of business in Coquitlam, BC, that had what I wanted.... the Luxman M4000 power amp and the C1010 preamp, and got a good deal, I felt.

The new system made the AR9's come more alive. The highs were Luxman smooth, the midrange was totally believable and the bass made the windows rattle. A year later I bought a second Luxman M4000... the last in Canada!... and that really improved everything, with bi-amping.

The system lasted me about 10 years. The Luxman amps probably were overworked, and died around 1992. No one has been able to repair them.... lack of parts. I have the AR9s operating with a Luxman R1120 again. My needs are no longer for high volume, which the ARs could provide. Maybe it is maturity... :)

They are presently in storage awaiting our acquisition of a new home.

Purchased At:   Ritchies in Chilliwa

Hey Skep, ever biamp your AR9's ?

I biamped mine as of yesterday and the difference is like night and day. The dynamics and bass are much better than before and absolutely no clipping. With one amp, when I would go for the near concert level, I'd get popping which worried me. The guys at arsenal said biamping would cure it and they ... Read More »

Teledyne AR9's

Well, I got my AR9's home and gave them a good workout. I am quite pleased with their overall sound. They seem quite accurate from top to bottom, certainly more so than my old speaker systems. They are more directional than what I am used to and to me have what I would consider to be a rather narro ... Read More »