Acoustic Energy AE5 Floorstanding Speakers

4.33/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $14995.00

4-Way Bass Reflex Speaker - (2)5.25" Woofers, (2) 5.25" Mid-Bass, (2) 5.25" Mid, 1" Tweeter

Submitted by Spinoza a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2011

Bottom Line:
Bought AE5s in 2004 and have used them ever since. They are currently connected to a dCS Puccini front end and a pair of monoblock Bel Canto power amplifiers - no preamp needed in the system. The performance of the complete combination in my view, particularly using SACD recordings, is almost as good as it gets - unless you happen to be one of those fortunate enough for whom money is no object.

The character of the AE5s has been captured by earlier reviewers. The key words that spring to my mind are "detailed sound", "fast bass response" and "sound qualkity independent of volume". The speakers are well suited to classical music - my main interest- however for the "heavy metal brigade" listener, they may feel the speaker is slightly lacking in the 20-30Hz frequency response band.

I agree with an earlier reviewer who bemoaned the fact that AE ceased production of the AE5. My understanding is that this corresponded with a strategic decision by AE to re-position themselves in the HiFi market, particular with regards to speaker manufacture. The AE5s were described as 'Reference' quality and represented the best that could be done by the British engineers at the time. In my view their achievement has stood the test of time - I have yet to hear better for similar priced designs.

Being now old in the tooth, I can't see me changing my system, however I would urge anyone who gets the chance to hear the AE5s to do so. They are not common, but if you get the opportunity indulge yourself!

Submitted by Bunty a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
I use the AE 5's with my Arcam P7 and AV 8, they are the best speakers I haver herard, and still in mint condition, I was thinking of selling the complet system but wasn't worth it because I would never get what Ithey are worth, so I will keep my system, and like James says, if you get a chance of these speakers just grab them.

Submitted by JamesDadd a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2010

Bottom Line:
Bought direct from AE in 2003 I continue to be amazed by these speakers. Since getting them the rest fo my system has been significantly upgraded, and recently I have auditioned amplifiers at dealers using alternative speakers (AE3, B&W804, Canton Vento 890DC), I have been even more impressed when I got the auditioned amps home. They may be an old design now, but they are still the most detailed speakers I have heard, and have plenty of bass for me, but it are always completely under control. I don't see me ever upgrading from these speakers, no matter what equipment I upgrade to in the rest of my system. If you find a pair for sale, give them a try, you won't be disappointed. I just don't understand why AE stopped making such a great speaker.

Submitted by brucehgc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2009

Bottom Line:
I think this is the best loudspeakers of AE history,the sound is very excellent ,It can say the AE5 is better than
B&W N801 except Bass HZ,maybe the price is a little poor,10000.00 USD is OK .
My power is Jeffroland 8TI 250W

Submitted by andrew a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
Acoustic energy is well known for there ae1 monitor.The monitors seem to maby be a little more smooth,but that might be due to the incredible dynamics of this speaker.The bass response was purley amazing,pinpoint accurate,and reflexed to the rear wich gives better depth in presentation.I listened to a number of recordings and let me tell you,there werent many that were recorded with the total precision required,as far as soundstage goes.No matter what the recording is like though,this speaker still gives a trumendous sence of air,its just the exact placment of instruments that deminishes.

The one thing missing though and i think this was due to plinius sa100 was lower end bass,the bass that was presented in low hz was incredibly sharp though,fast passed and authoritive.The speaker was driven really hard,and the clarity was still so precise that it started to prick my ears,this is why i say some lower hz and smoothness would be nice to equall this out,but i think this is greatly due to the amplification.

My over all opinion though is that this speaker is incredibly fast paced and accurate,bringing out every little sound with extream authority and sharpness.I think that alot of speakers do the same but make it easier to listen to,just a little more smoothed on each note would be better to my ears,especially at high volume.
Conclusion:The most precise speaker i have yet to here,maby a little too precise,To me it tends to become a little pricky,But driven with a maching amp should equal this out and transform this speaker into a incredibly accurate,fast,powerfull and aired transducer.