Acoustic Energy AE120 Floorstanding Speakers

4.24/5 (21 Reviews) MSRP : $900.00

3-Way Magnetically Shielded Floor Standing - (2) 5.25" Woofers, 5.25" Mid-Range, 1" Tweeter

Submitted by Shahrul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2012

Bottom Line:
Got the speakers for 78 pound on ebay.co.uk with original packaging. The previous mission 782 I won (150 pound) failed me during collection / testing (cancelled the purchase), but I am not sad since I am now a proud owner of the AE120.

After winning the AE120 I read the reviews here which said that it needs better amplifications. I quickly looked for one and won Sony STRDB925 home cinema receiver (for 50 pound, and came with 5 speakers and active woofers by Thomson).

Paired the Sony and AE120 2 days ago. The AE120 is worth the money! I tri-wire them with quality cables - and I would like to confirm that the bass are controlled. I can listen to every details despite not cranking up the volume. By the way, I am setting up a music system - shoot me - I'm on a budget. But this setup is great even if compared to my previous setup of -

PM66KI
CD67SE
Tannoy M1
Quality Cables - I was mad - my cable(s) costed more than my previous speakers

Yes, they were mid-range setup to compare with the AE120 (at its brand new price). But if my Sony and AE120 were to be placed in a hifi store, they'll get noticed when being played by the visitors - low volume level but controlled bass with detail sounding. And currently I am using quality Pioneer DVD player to play my Tag McLaren test CD. Imagine if I am using better player.

Submitted by simon h a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
I brought the AE120s as part of a start up system and then up-graded my CD and Amp. I was never fully comfortable with the ae120s once I'd read further rviewes re difficult amp loadings and poor bass control. However, when I bought a power amp and bi-amped the ae120s I've been pleased. I've had to move them into a smaller room now and have needed to stuff the ports with sponges to keep them under control but they still sound great.

I'm toying with up-grading the speakers to a good stand mount which may perform better in a smaller room but have nothing to benchmark against - suggestions ?

Purchased At:   Sevenoaks, Birmingha

Submitted by Ralph Kuo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
Important! This speaker absolutely needs big current, I use a PSE100ill which is made in the states, and has 115W/CH. Before I use PSE100ill, I had tried Audiolab 8000B, Aura VA100 Evolution, Denon PMA2000, and quess what? the more strengh the amp is, the bass more controlled, the mid-range more transparent,no wonder many AE120 users complained about the loss-controlled bass.
though it's not that kind of sweet-sounded speaker, but still can handle most kinds of music for entry level users, some Taiwanese users also recommand the Proton power amps for these speakers, such like AA2480, AA2120. But I still very happy with the PSE100ill works with AE120.

Purchased At:   Ebay Taiwan

Submitted by Barrie Merriman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
These speakers are not only fantastic looking but also sound great espescially with home cinema.

Purchased At:   Practical hi-fi

Submitted by Demi a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
They sound dead when single wired. Tri/bi-wire them and you will be amazed!