Acoustic Energy 3311 Floorstanding Speakers

3.73/5 (44 Reviews)

studio monitor

Submitted by Rick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2016

Bottom Line:
Well gentlemen same story here, 1981 Guy in a van off the mall parking lot said I have been given too many speakers to deliver . I checked them out they looked real nice I bought the set of 2 for $100 us dollars in Omaha NE the first time. Loved them many years later I knew what was up another guy in a van similar story I offered him a hundred dollars and was walking away, can't quite remember but I think I got them for around a $100 also this time a newer model they had the polypro main speakers, and with 100 watts from an old receiver they still sound perfect. Acoustic Monitors you have got to love these speakers. Some people are like you were scammed I say no I was not the speakers speak for themselves and were worth 2x what I paid for them. Are they still being sold from the back of those vans LOL .

Submitted by DaddyO! a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2016

Bottom Line:
Back in 1996 I was working mostly in the USA, but on a rare trip home to London I had to go see the Big Boss for a report on my projects, so it was 'on-with-the-3-piece-suit', and a walk to the Tube. My wallet was, for perhaps the only time in my entire life, packed with cash as I had changed up some dollars and cashed a paycheck.
I was walking down the main street, in a fairly salubrious part of west London, not far from Heathrow, when a white van pulled up beside me and 2 guys got out and started jabbering about these amazing speakers they had in the van.
I was laughing at their bare-faced nerve, and challenged them to prove these speakers had not 'fallen off the back of a cargo flight'. A few minutes later we were all in the van, pulling up in front of my house and they came inside and set up these speakers. (I was in my early twenties, and yes it was pretty stupid to let them into my house!), but when they cranked up those bad boys the entire house shook. The floors, the windows, my lungs and my brain! We all three stood grinning at each other like Cheshire Cats.
I believe they wanted £250 and I gave them £150 - the biggest single purchase of my life to that point! I would have paid £500 for them. I still have them, and use them, and after 20 years (gulp!) they are just as sharp and awesome as that first time..... And you never forget your first time.

Submitted by Stephan Pestalozzi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2016

Bottom Line:
After reading all this, I have to write this down: I almost falling apart from laughing my A... off. Now listen, here ist my story. I't bin about 20 years. On a parking lot in the eastern part of Switzerland!!! Yes you reading this right... Switzerland! A guy in a delivery van offered my these speakers. I bought them for 200 swiss francs (about 200 USD). I don't remember, if the van was white, but I think, this is a pretty awesome and funny story to sell these speakers worldwide out of the back of a van...
I alway wondered how much money these speakers would really be worth. Did I give to much or was this an awesome deal. The years passed by and I graduated from Berklee College of Music with a degree in Producing. I now run my own music studio first in Los Angeles and now in Zurich, Switzerland. After all these years the stand in my mastering room as reference speakers. I have testet them and I have to say. I have speakers here for several thousand dollars and these ACOUSTICS SERIES 3311 sound absolutely great. I have them powered by a professional tube amplifier and they're sound is crystal clear - simply an amazing sound! So they're definitely worth the money. Considering the qualitiy of theses speakers, I would be willing to pay about 1000 USD for such a product... so just enjoy it, if you're one of the lucky guy who met one of these white van guys a couple of years ago... funny, don't you think? greetings from the swiss snowy mountains;-)

Submitted by Mario a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2015

Bottom Line:
This is amazing to know that most people got these acoustic studio monitor 3311 the same way from two guys in a white van, I also got mines from a guy in a white van, this happened as I was walking to my car on the parking lot at Glendale community college and the approached me and offered me the two speakers for $300 and I first declined the offer due to the price and then he dropped the price for $180, the guy actually fallowed me all the way to second and San Pedro in down town la to the ATM machine to get the money, At one point as everyone else here I thought I had been ripped off but after reading these reviews I got a deal, all these happened back in 1998 and I the speakers still sound amazing,

Submitted by Liam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2015

Bottom Line:
I have no idea what year these were manufactured, but they're amazing. I'm running a 75watt per channel Denon Receiver (AVR 13-12) and its not enough to handle the low end! But the high and mid range's are impeccable.. I have a subwoofer I'm going to add soon, which will help, but it's not the same as a having 125+ Watt power source for these bass drivers.

And I got them for 30 bucks!!!! At the GOODWILL in Beaverton Oregon xD!!

I'm quite sure some Intel engineer, or Nike 'employee' dropped 'em off. One speaker had definitely been dropped, from some hight. The outside wood side enclosure had separated at the top seam due to the impact, and 2 of the 4 plastic pegs that hold on the 'cover' were broken off due to the fall. So I completly sealed it back up with caulking (no wood glue in my apt to be found), and the remaning two plastic pegs hold the black front cover just fine. :)

They sound perfect, just wish i had more watts for the bass, leaves me thinking about a new reciever... NEED MORE POWER!