Acoustic Energy 3311 Floorstanding Speakers

3.78/5 (46 Reviews)

studio monitor

Submitted by Andy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2017

Bottom Line:
Australia... mid 90's... Brisbane City CBD while I'm waiting at traffic lights. 2 guys jump out. One does the pitch the other does the nodding. 2 large cardboard boxes. Offered at 200.. I'm laughing walking away/. Guy says "just take a look at them 150 just take a look." Thought it couldn't hurt. Really liked the quality of what I saw no idea of the brand. Was a working musician at the time so no money to waste but had plenty of uses for them. Still i decided it seemed too dodgy off the back off a truck. walked away again guy shouts 100... 20 years later they are still in my little studio as my 'loud' speakers and they have never had a break in that whole time. They've been through intensive punishment periods.. years of it..., used in bars, clubs, and warehouse parties, weddings, outdoor private functions as a PA maybe all up a over 200 of those,and then there is my habit of playing music for hours everyday... for 20 years. They look pretty much like new & have consistently sounded big and clear. I suppose as I didn't know the brand and got them at that price 'back o' truck' style I never feared ruining them so used them often and freely without worry... have never been able to understand the experience very well. Were they worth the 100 bucks?...hmmmm... knowing what I know now I would have bought 2 sets at the first cost...

Submitted by Ledmund a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2017

Bottom Line:
I was walking through a Starvation Army store and saw two large black speakers on the floor not 15 minutes after they had been placed there. Until a few days ago I had never owned a halfway descent stereo in my life and I am fifty-seven years old. I have moved to Minneapolis, Minnesota a year ago and started a program to become a hospice chaplain after working thirty years as a brick mason. Since moving to Minneapolis I have become a convert to thrift stores and, as I was saying, a few days ago I bought a 250 watt Technics stereo Receiver that is about 20 years old. It didn't have any speakers with it so I brought it home and couldn't listen to it. Well, I bought those two black speakers and just got them home and hooked it all up. I am now listening to some West African Guitar music and the sound is so clear and beautiful I don't know what to say. I spent $25 for the speakers and $20 for the receiver. As an old guy I used to lay brick with used to say; " Right now, I wish you a feather up your ass, for then we both would be tickled".

Submitted by Rick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2016

Bottom Line:
Well gentlemen same story here, 1981 Guy in a van off the mall parking lot said I have been given too many speakers to deliver . I checked them out they looked real nice I bought the set of 2 for $100 us dollars in Omaha NE the first time. Loved them many years later I knew what was up another guy in a van similar story I offered him a hundred dollars and was walking away, can't quite remember but I think I got them for around a $100 also this time a newer model they had the polypro main speakers, and with 100 watts from an old receiver they still sound perfect. Acoustic Monitors you have got to love these speakers. Some people are like you were scammed I say no I was not the speakers speak for themselves and were worth 2x what I paid for them. Are they still being sold from the back of those vans LOL .

Submitted by DaddyO! a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2016

Bottom Line:
Back in 1996 I was working mostly in the USA, but on a rare trip home to London I had to go see the Big Boss for a report on my projects, so it was 'on-with-the-3-piece-suit', and a walk to the Tube. My wallet was, for perhaps the only time in my entire life, packed with cash as I had changed up some dollars and cashed a paycheck.
I was walking down the main street, in a fairly salubrious part of west London, not far from Heathrow, when a white van pulled up beside me and 2 guys got out and started jabbering about these amazing speakers they had in the van.
I was laughing at their bare-faced nerve, and challenged them to prove these speakers had not 'fallen off the back of a cargo flight'. A few minutes later we were all in the van, pulling up in front of my house and they came inside and set up these speakers. (I was in my early twenties, and yes it was pretty stupid to let them into my house!), but when they cranked up those bad boys the entire house shook. The floors, the windows, my lungs and my brain! We all three stood grinning at each other like Cheshire Cats.
I believe they wanted £250 and I gave them £150 - the biggest single purchase of my life to that point! I would have paid £500 for them. I still have them, and use them, and after 20 years (gulp!) they are just as sharp and awesome as that first time..... And you never forget your first time.

Submitted by Stephan Pestalozzi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2016

Bottom Line:
After reading all this, I have to write this down: I almost falling apart from laughing my A... off. Now listen, here ist my story. I't bin about 20 years. On a parking lot in the eastern part of Switzerland!!! Yes you reading this right... Switzerland! A guy in a delivery van offered my these speakers. I bought them for 200 swiss francs (about 200 USD). I don't remember, if the van was white, but I think, this is a pretty awesome and funny story to sell these speakers worldwide out of the back of a van...
I alway wondered how much money these speakers would really be worth. Did I give to much or was this an awesome deal. The years passed by and I graduated from Berklee College of Music with a degree in Producing. I now run my own music studio first in Los Angeles and now in Zurich, Switzerland. After all these years the stand in my mastering room as reference speakers. I have testet them and I have to say. I have speakers here for several thousand dollars and these ACOUSTICS SERIES 3311 sound absolutely great. I have them powered by a professional tube amplifier and they're sound is crystal clear - simply an amazing sound! So they're definitely worth the money. Considering the qualitiy of theses speakers, I would be willing to pay about 1000 USD for such a product... so just enjoy it, if you're one of the lucky guy who met one of these white van guys a couple of years ago... funny, don't you think? greetings from the swiss snowy mountains;-)