Acoustic Energy 3311 Floorstanding Speakers

3.61/5 (38 Reviews)

studio monitor

Submitted by Trey a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2015

Bottom Line:
1998 Southern California san bernandino is only one guy in a white van sold me this sticker I just broke them out now finally got my house and everything I mean like 75 bucks sitting in the garage all this time and I'm broke amount they look brand new and I love these things.

Submitted by Rick S. a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2015

Bottom Line:
Ready for this? I got mime (Acoustic Studio Monitor Series 3311) from the back of a guy's pick-up truck in a parking lot off of Route 4 in Paramus New Jersey in... 1977!! No B-S! I think I gave the guy $40 - and I thought I was getting ripped off. But amortized over 35 years, it's not such a bad deal. I brought them out with me to Los Angeles in 1978 and they still sound crisp and clean. Definitely the best 'hot' merchandise I ever bought. Maybe my guy in the pick-up is the father of the guy's in the white van!! I only came across these reviews because I was trying to find out how much they are worth. These speakers have some history.

Submitted by Calzee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2015

Bottom Line:
This is fantastic!... I can't believe it. So many people got their 3311's the same way I did, from a couple of guys in a white van on a petrol station forecourt, from memory, somewhere near High Wycombe, Bucks, way back in 97. The same scam, product overstock, here's the paperwork, washing these out cheap, bla, bla, bla. Think I paid around £100 quid for them. After all this time, I can honestly say, that was one of the best £100 quids I ever spent. Absolutely superb sound performance, quality bass, good mid and top end range and I'm sure, could quite happily compete alongside any of today's equivalent sized modern day speakers at 4 or 5 times the price. Very happy with them. I only have one regret. I didn't buy a second pair. Even if I had the extra cash back then, I didn't have the space at home or a big enough car to take them home with. Today, I wouldn't advise you buy anything like that from a white van unless you've researched it and know exactly what you are buying. Though, from the stories of other peoples experiences, I'm glad I was'nt the only one and that in most cases, the outcome was a good one.

Submitted by don rich a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought these in 1993 from 2 guys in a white van. It was an anniversary present and a good deal for the times. This pair has been my front L/R speakers since that day and have always had a Denon pushing them. I have never been disappointed with my purchase and they still rock today although I am beginning to lose one of them so I am looking to replace them. Still, over 20 years and they still sound great in my Theatre watching movies! I will be upgrading this time as I earn more money now but these have more than paid for themselves.

Submitted by Tim W a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2013

Bottom Line:
I am bemused by these speakers and the story behind them. I was a full time recording engineer and had recently moved into working in audio duplication and mastering when I was approached by two guys with a van who appeared at my office in England (way in the country) with some of these speakers. This has to be at least 15 years ago. Long story short I bought a pair, seemed good value if they were half decent. All these years later they are still my main home stereo pair of big speakers and they have always sounded great. I have never been able to find out who made/makes them or where they are made so it is all very odd - still I am happy. These speakers are really good in an average (non acoustically treated) room but you need some space, they are not small. I would thoroughly recommend them with a decent power amp, my 100 watt per channel Denon handles them really well (woah, don't need to turn it up too loud!)