ACOUSTAT 1 plus 1 Floorstanding Speakers

4.8/5 (15 Reviews)

Submitted by MrAcoustat a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have owned Acoustat's speakers for more than 25 years Spectra 22s - Spectra 33s - 2+2s - and finaly my favorite 3 pairs of 1+1s dollar for dollar there is'nt a better speaker out there i am including a couple of pictures you may choose the one you want mor the model number the fact that you have none available. MrAcoustat

mracoustat@videotron.ca

[IMG]http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MrAcoustat/Andr08.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MrAcoustat/Andr22.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MrAcoustat/Andr15.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MrAcoustat/Andr23.jpg[/IMG]

Submitted by atigus1953 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2005

Bottom Line:
Found these at a yard sale. Asking 500.00 but got them for 200.00. This is my 4th pair. Only reason I have sold others in the past was because of low ceiling height. These speakers seem to do most things very well. Running them with a 100 watt hybrid int-amp. In my room they image nice. Bass is nice and tight, and as other owners say, no listener fatigue. I am not sure, but this pair that I have now dont seem to have that 1 sweet spot where if you move your head approx a foot or so either way, you lose that side. (beaming) I think they call it? Anyway, I removed the grill cloth (cat attacked) and also used a hair-dryer (carefully) to tighten up the membranes. Cheap upgrades. Opened up the sound considerbly. Will try spikes to see if there are any improvements.

Purchased At:   yard sale

Submitted by stilespj a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought these "prevously owned" (used) 1+1s on ebay in Dec. of 2002 to go with my (modified) Acoustat 2+2s. They were in fair shape and easily repairable/upgradable. New black grille socks make them a good match to my 2+2s looks-wise as well as sound-wise. The 1+1s are used as the rear channels in SACD music and DVD movie playback. I am collecting Acoustat parts to make a center channel speaker.

As per the 2+2s, I updated the the capacitors, fuseholders, input terminals, high voltage bias circuit, and resistors inside the interface unit. Unlike my 2+2s, the 1+1s have the medallion transformers.

Sonically, the 1+1s have the same general qualities as the 2+2s. The horizontal dispersion is a little better, due to the relative narrowness of the 1+1s over the 2+2s. On the other hand, the 2+2s have somewhat more autority and weight due to the larger panel area of the 2+2s being able to descend lower in the bass realm.

Overall, I am very pleased with the (modified) 1+1s. As with the 2+2s, I can listen for hours and not get a headache, which is saying something.

Submitted by Paul J Stiles a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2003

Submitted by Ed Park a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have the 1+1S (with subwoofer) that I bought new in their first year of production (always thought I got them in '83, but have recently learned they weren't made until 1984). I am still using them, 17 years later.

I have always bi-amped them with Audio Research electronics as follows:

EC-21 crossover
D-60 (solid state) dedicated to the subwoofer
D-90 (tubes) dedicated to the panels

and they sound so good that I've never tried them any other way. I suspect bi-amping reveals these speakers' full capabilities, some of which are compromised using a single amplifier setup (even more so than other speakers).

I also use the Beveridge pre-amp when it's working.

You can listen all day without fatigue. I've never felt that urge to move "up" to something "better" in a speaker, or that there was more to hear in my recordings, though perhaps this reflects limits to my "audiophileness" as much as it speaks for the speakers.

Purchased At:   Audio, etc.; Jacksonville, FL

(2) SVS PC12-NSB v. (1) PC12-PLUS

Just curious which would be "better" (2) SVS PC12-NSB (approx $1050) or (1) PC12-PLUS (approx $1000) Current system: Paradigm Reference Studio 100s V2 (& their CC Center and polk audio surround) Onkyo TX-797 Receiver Behring BFD (waiting for a sub....) Room 11x14x7.5 Music 50% HT 50% ... Read More »

RG6 for Sub plus "How are you doing your 7.1?"

I'm finishing my basement for a more dedicated HT space and am looking at doing my low-voltage wiring very soon. I'm not sure where the ultimate sub location will be so I'd like to run a couple of in-wall cables to the possible locations. What is best to use for this application? I thought I rea ... Read More »