ACI Jaguar II Floorstanding Speakers

2 way monitor

Submitted by Bob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
What can I say but......if you have some woodworking skills and your listening room is 15 ft by 16 ft by 10 ft or bigger, just buy them. You will not be dissapointed. They are the best speaker I have heard to date. They are good with any type of music, especially acoustic and classical.
Just because they are cheap, don't think that they will sound cheap. The finish is as good as you are.

Purchased At:   audioc.com

Submitted by John Desmond a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
If you're planning on spending $2000-$10,000 for speakers you Must hear em'

Submitted by Lou a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
I built the Jaguars from kits with custom made stands. After tweaking a bit, I used ACI's 65 Hz filters between my preamp and poweramp, the ports stuffed, my Titan crossed over at about 65 Hz, and the grilles removed. The grilles definitely confine the image.

I also tried the Jags with my Titan out of the system and the 65 Hz filters removed. I found the bass to be entirely adequate for music listening. Full and rich. I could definitely see the difference in draw on the meters of the power amp.

I'll tell you what I heard. I used my "standards" (Santana, Linda Ronstadt, Alan Parsons plus a few more cuts.) The soundstage is absolutely incredible.(Due, I suspect to the time-aligned drivers and sloped front baffle) The depth and clarity of midrange is hard to believe. I even heard the tape hiss from some of the older analog-mastered discs.

Some other discs of note. Erich Kunzel's "Great Fantasy Adventure Album" (Telarc 80342) has some spectacular special effects. CyberGenisis/Terminator Theme (cuts 19 & 20) feature explosions, laser battles, and heavy machinery – all mixed over the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra. The dynamic range of this piece is staggering. The Jaguars handled it with ease. Strings from the orchestra were clearly visible over the effects. My cocker started wailing – I guess the highs were there too.

So how about chamber & acoustic presentation? For that I selected "Desert Reflections" by The University of Arizona's Harp Fusion Ensemble. (Nine world class, world touring musicians). Elite Syncopations (an arrangement from Scott Joplin) and In the Mood (from the 40's swing era) feature complex arrangements, harmonies, and swift tempo. I swear I could damn near pick out the individual players! (My wife took me to one of their concerts last week so I heard these pieces live.) Another piece features a bell chorale, indeed the Jaguars were "clear" as a bell.

So how do the Jaguars match up with the ACI Emerald center on DVD? Pretty close. The Jags are definitely more "articulate". With the sloped fronts, it's a bit difficult to place the center channel in the same vertical plane as the Jaguars. The sound field simulations on my Yamaha receiver (theater, concert hall etc.) are greatly exaggerated by the Jaguars. Running the Jags as "large" definitely adds a lot of bass in the 65-90 hz range. But the Vifa tweeter in the Emerald is a very tolerable match. I think the 3 Emerald set up had a bit more coherent soundstage, but the Jaguars add quite a bit more sonic detail – particularly on the high end. Since I'm now running an old Carver power amp with the Jags (vs running the Emeralds off the receiver), this really isn't and A/B comparison.
After about a week, the initial sibilance and sizzle on the high end is gradually disappeared – just as ACI said it would . This seems to be a characteristic of ScanSpeak tweeters when new. My Emeralds greatly improved with time as well. At this point, I can truly say these are the finest speakers I have ever owned, and maybe the best I've heard.

(If you are interested in construction, there is a legthy article at http://www.audioc.com/diy/indexfr.htm in the
"DIY Showcase" section.)

For those with $700 + materials, decent woodworking skills, and a yen for top end 2 Ways, the Jaguar is hard to beat.