Acarian Systems Alon IV Floorstanding Speakers

4.86/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $3500.00

Submitted by Justin Heard a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2012

Bottom Line:
What $680 bucks got me?

I heard Wilson's nice bass. I heard ProAc's, you feel like the musicians have been shrunken down and are in your home. B&W's? Sound like two pair of mono speakers running right and left channels. Apogee grands sound bigger than life. Aerials sound super with the best of amps.

Alon IV remind you that making coffee with absolute pure water does not equal the best cup of coffee in the world. Alon IV make no sense at all; yet they make the most musical reproductions I have ever heard to date.

They do not need diamond tweeters, 4 individual towers nor power from 300lbs worth of amps to sound amazing. The sound like "The Back Room" in Chicago...they play music back as if there were no electronics. I have heard deeper base from other mega buck speakers, but my brother played the drums everyday and Alon IV's sound like his 8 piece Rogers bass did. Sound stage is so wide, I had to assure the speakers were in phase. I can actually point out instruments and hear set-up changes.
'

Submitted by skykomish a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2006

Bottom Line:
Bought these second hand from an Alon lover, he had 3 sets of Alons. I found them to be excellent with full range dynamics. The highs are clear and pleasing, midrange is transparent. The woofers are 12 in drivers, so there is no need for powered subs with these. In comparing these with my Martin Logans, they are superior, but the MLs have a wider soundstage.

Submitted by solo8008 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have these speakers for three months,I am using one Cinepro 3K6SE Gold six Ch. amp to power them.Alon sound very musical never harsh , mid , highs are very open and airy with big sound stage.Bass is tight never out of control. If you get them under $1600 Used, its bargain . You will love it.

Submitted by pangl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
Wow! Talk about a bargain!

First, let me first bash about the Stereophile's recommended ratings. I must be missing something. This Alon IV was rated Class B. No way! It must be Class A (same fate befall the great Aerial 10T which sounds much better than many Class A speakers I have owned or auditioned).

The differences of the sound produced using single-wire, bi-wire and tri-wire are unbelievable. You need tri-wire. And I mean shotgun tri-wire. I used 3 pairs of NBS cables (Monitor III for mid, IV for high, and Dragon Fly for bass).

The speakers are pretty inefficient (87db) - you definitely need high-quality, high powered amp. However, I do not much issue driving them using my Accuphase E203 (70W/8ohm, 90W/4ohm) to very loud level. With my hated Krell KAV300i, the Alon IV is like a detail-retreiving machine - every single detail on the source is bared in front of me.

If you see one one used market, audition or grab it by all means. You'll enjoy them as much as I do.

P.S. I plan to bi-wire this monster. The high and mid will drive by tube amp while the bass with drive by a solid state amp. Will post updates a few months later.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by craig yates a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
These are some OF THE FINAST SPEAKERS in the 5000.00 and under price range.However you must tri wire to enjoy full sound out of these speakers, also remove grills and place min 3' from rear wall and leave space between speakers unobstructed.

my set up
class 700 s amp
audio illusions 2b pre amp
oracle turntable
cal dx1 cd player
using acarian tri speaker cable