AAD E-48 Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by Ron Chambers a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2008

Bottom Line:
Purchased from the most unprofessional seller I have met. Auditioned in a live wharehouse with no seating amongst boxes (when asked later if he had a proper auditioning room upstairs, he said he had). Knuckle rap test on box gave a poor result. Our other speakers are Tannoy HPD385a's Mission 751's and my home made units with Dynaudio drivers. We were looking to relace some $20 plastic Yamaha units in a little used room. Playing Mark Knoppfler's Golden heart with it's low frequencies at home was attrocious. Upon inspection all drivers had pressed steel chassis, crossovers were excellent (nothing wrong with quality bipolar electrolytics in some parts of a cct. polypropelene used in HF part ) and there was no cabinet damping. I immediatly installed lead in the woofer compartment, together with bitumen self adhering sheet. LF resonance reduced by 90%. Today I attack the Midrange areas.
So far sounds O.K. How can anyone manufacture a speaker cabinet with such a significant ommission / defect ?

Purchased At:   Acoustic Images Mt W

Submitted by JIm Cotter a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2007

Bottom Line:
I had previously only ever boughtBritish speakers (B&W, Tannoy, Wharfedale)
I decided to get these after hearing them in a NYC Hi-Fi store. They also received a 5 star rating (later downgraded to 4) from the UK "What HiFi" magazine. I've been please with them. I bi amped them as running them single-wired left the bass too weak for my tatses. They work great in a confines space as the side-firing woofers make the speaker cabinet very narrow.
Overall a pleasing sound. Crisp high end, detailed mids and good low end( when bi-wired) Very good value for the money.

Purchased At:   Online store