Vandersteen VCC-1
Description: Center channel speaker

Submitted by Lou a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have the VCC-1 on top of a RPTV and it integrates very well with the main speakers and is very good with dialog and most musical passages and vocals. However, as I mentioned, I must also agree with a previous review, the speaker's weaknesses emerge when it is asked to handle a major musical load by a music DVD or a musical film DVD. I also feel that going signature on the VCC-1 is not worth the doubling of the price of the speaker.

Purchased At:   Audio Connection, Verona, NJ

Submitted by Scott Campbell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a tricky review to write, because I believe that the Vandersteen speaker line offers VERY high value (performance vs. cost), while this specific speaker does not seem to meet that standard. For information about the design concept behind the VCC-1, go to Vandersteen's Web site (www.vandersteen.com). I am using the VCC-1 Signature in conjunction with a pair of Vandersteen 3A Signature main speakers. The VCC-1 Signature ($1000) is the upgraded version of Vandersteen's home theater center channel speaker, the VCC-1 ($500). The VCC-1 Signature has the same design, appearance, and "proximity compensation switch" as its less-expensive stable mate, but features a higher-quality crossover and co-axial driver. For several months, I owned and used the standard-issue VCC-1, and was quite pleased with it. It did a commendable job reproducing the center channel sound for home theater movies, although I thought it did only an adequate job when used solely for music reproduction (in surround or full 5-channel use). After I had my Vandersteen 3A main speakers upgraded to the "Signature" version, I decided to have the VCC-1 upgraded as well. I have been using the VCC-1 Sig for about 6 weeks, and don't consider it worth twice the price of the VCC-1. In retrospect, I would not have spent the money for the upgrade to the "Signature" version. My home theater system is secondary to my main audio system, and my living room serves as both my audio room and home theater area. It is possible that someone with a good-quality, dedicated home theater room may notice the somewhat improved sound quality of the VCC-1 "Signature", but I did not discern much difference, nor do I believe that the vast majority of buyers will either. The 3-star VALUE rating reflects my opinion that the VCC-1 Signature is not a particularly good investment. If you are thinking about buying the VCC-1 Signature, be sure to audition it at home, and directly compare it to the "garden variety" VCC-1 before you buy.

Purchased At:   Vandersteen Audio

Submitted by Mr. P a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
I received my VCC-1 by UPS. The cardboard box was amazingly strong and reflected the solid no nonsense approach to speaker design used by Vandersteen. The speaker produces excellent sound at all volume levels and with my Vandersteen 1C front speakers, it created a seamless front wall of sound. Speech, sound effects, and music all sounded as if they came from the approiate direction,

We find ourselves using the VCC-1 for listening to music as well as DVD 5.1 sound. It was more expensive than the other speakers I auditioned but the sound is worth it. If it lasts as long as my 1Cs, 14 years and still going strong, it will be a bargin.

Purchased At:   Tailored Technology San Jose, CA

Submitted by Phil a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
This past spring, I set out to replace my ancient JBL tower mains and mismatched Polk CS100 center. I decided that I would first select good mains, then buy the matching center (a must for seemless pans in HT). My search led me to buy the Vandersteen 1C (see my review on this site). The VCC center is an unusual design for a center - it's coaxial - a design shared only by KEF. It is a perfect match for the 1C mains. Dialogue is clear and intelligable at all volume levels. There's no coloration, unnatural chestiness or heaviness to male or female voices. Transitions from left to right are seemless and smooth. You can adjust the frequency response of the VCC to compensate for placement on top of a TV. I like the banana plug connections of the 1C, and wish Vandersteen used the same connection on the VCC, but this is a minor inconvenience. I can't imagine a better L/C/R combo in this price range than the 1C/VCC combo for about $1200.

Purchased At:   Audio Nexus, Summit, NJ