Sound Dynamics RTS-C2 Center Channels

4.86/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $300.00

Center Channel Speaker

Submitted by John a

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
Was leary about buying from Costco, however found this speaker to be impressive, the weight is high, however the quality in sound and construction is also there, highly recomend for anyone who is looking for good quality, great sound for a fair price, don't be foole dinto buying a name, this speaker out performs many 800-1200 center speakers out there, at least goes toe to toe with them.

Submitted by Kerry Hull a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I picked this unit up at a recovery sales outlet for a great price and decided to check it out sound unheard. I could tell just by the weight of the center that it was no run of the mill center and was built like a brick *hit house. I took it home and hooked it up displacing my jamo unit. Right away I could notice some measurable highs that were not present with my previous center, much more texture detail and no harsh noises at higher volumes, all in all a great center for the price. I would like to find a retailer who sells their surround setup so I could demo them as well.

Purchased At:   Recovery Sales Outlet

Submitted by James a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
Recently got these from Ebay since they were only $5.00!!
I outbid the first bidder and I got it for 5.24!!! Shipping was 25 bucks though so total came in to $30.24.

Well, the reason why it was so cheap was because it was a damaged item. The back of the speaker had a chip on the bottom corner, there were some very small bumps on the edges, and the most major one was a very small split on one of the woofer's surrounds.

I have experience of making loudspeaker cabinets which made me confident about fixing damaged speakers. Since the split on the surround was small, I taped it with electrical tape. I tested its linearity by pushing the woofer in. I also did it to the good woofer to compare. Seems okay and the surrounds don't show any wrikles when I push them in.

My friend also had the Sound Dynamics C-2 and we did a comparison. I couldn't tell a difference between the two. We even tortured it with the Matrix DVD at high levels. It passed with flying colors.

I am very pleased with the performance of the C2, even for $300, it is a very good center channel. They can play very loud without compression, The tweeter never sounds harsh since it isn't a metal dome, the voices are clear and understandable.

My only gripe was some cabinet resonances and the off axis response. But I was expecting too much. This is only a $300 center channel. I was actually looking forward to buy this speaker for $250 until I saw it for $5 on EBAY. I also did some tweaking, which was to stuff the ports with socks. This improved the dialogue and smoothed out the mid to upper bass response.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Robert Holmes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 14, 1999

Bottom Line:
When I first received this speaker in addition to my RTS-9 fronts, I was not blown away. I found the sound easy to listen to and enjoyed every movie I watched, but it didn't come out and grab me. As time moved on, I realized that to be a blessing. This speaker is never annoying, and always clear.

I took it to my local dealer and direct compared it against some other known, good center speakers just so see how well it fared. I did an A/B switch between a PSB Stratus C5 center, a speaker that has won awards in the past. My C-2 center helds its own against the PSB at less than half it's price, and depending on your taste in sound, I would even say it could be better. The bass was distinct; the mids and highs were clear and not overdone.

I recommend this center and the whole Sound Dynamics series to whomever is looking for a great speaker at a stellar price.

Submitted by Jerry Farber a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 11, 1999

Bottom Line:
I haven't heard very many center channel speakers, but for the money ($280.00 to $350.00 price range). I don't think you can go wrong with this speaker. I understand that they are comming out with an updated model this year, but I can't see how they could possibly out-preform the RTS-C2.