PSB Speakers Stratus C6 Center Channels

4.9/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $700.00

This center channel speaker includes 2 X 1" (25mm) Treated Textile Dome Tweeters with Ferrofluid and 2 x 6.5" (165mm Polypropylene Cone Woofers with Rubber Surround.

Submitted by Titus Tolson a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
I originally had the PSB C6. After purchasing a pair of Goldi speakers, I decided to purchase the updated C6i with the metal tweeters so the front end would match. I also didn't like the C6 because it didn't seem to be all that detailed and clear plus it had a "boxey" sound. To achieve the sound I wanted, I had to resort to running an equalizer on the center channel. I hate eq's and really didn't want to degrade the signal and sound by going through an eq.
After living with the C6i for about six months, I've noticed more clarity and detail in the center channel. The metal tweeters seem to do the job. I took things a little further by adding a PSB Subsonic 5 (10" powered sub) to the mix. I'm going straight from the amp to the subsonic 5 to the C6i. I have the sub crossed over at about 110. What this does is take some of the bass out of the C6i to help to perform better. Now the center doesn't sound as "boxey" as it did with the C6. The sound is much more open and and has more of a full range sound that works well with the Goldi. I used the open of "Austin Powers- The Spy Who Shagged Me" and "New York Minute" from The Eagels' "Hell Freezes Over" DTS DVD to see the difference with the addition of the sub with the center. On "Austin Powers" the voice that reads the "story line" during the opening theme is much more dynamic and has more power and majesty than it did without the sub. On the "New York Minute" track the drums and bass are more dynamic and has more weight. The bass licks are more detailed than before and Don Henley doesn't sound like he has a cold or is singing through a rolled up newspaper. The kick drum has resonance and a killer "thud" sound. If you're a drummer like me, you will definitely appreciate having a sub on you center. My ht system sounds so much better with the addition of the C6i and subsonuc 5 combo.

Components:

PS Audio 300
Phillips CD Burner
Sony JE520 Minidisc Recorder
TMC Yellow, White, and Gold Label
PS Audio Lab Cable (on PM 1000)
Harmonic Tech Pro AC 11 (on C333)

Purchased At:   Cinemation BRS

Submitted by Wesley Creekmore a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I liked the Center Channel Plus very much but when I upgraded to PSB Goldi and the Denon 4800, the center took on a decided boxy, hollow sound with voice that was just not accetable. After trying all modes and considerable experimentation, I cut the center and played in stereo. That sounded the best. After the addition of the C6i, I am back to THX, Dolby Digital, or 5 Channel Stereo. I like 5 Channel Stereo on most music and THX on most DVDs. The Golds and the C6i have made me very happy. If you can do better, jump on it. I now own the best system I have ever heard

Purchased At:   All home theater

Submitted by Manuel Furtado a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent center channel. I'm pumping 140w into it and it can and handle more. It can fill a large room with clean sound. Dialoge with male and female voices is excellent and it leaves nothing out of the soundtrack. All the little details can be heard and you won't have to strain to hear it. Dynamics are first rate. You can run the speaker full range and it will belt out chaos and explosions without any complaints. This speaker blends perfectly with the PSB Status Series. My front stage is seamless, there are no holes or gaps. Have I heard better, not from a horizontal speaker at this price.

This is an exceptional center in everyway. I would highly recommend it. 5 stars all the way.

Purchased At:   Truetone Electronics

Submitted by Bruce Abar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
It is about time, the matching center is here for the Stratus line. If you have the C-5 or C-6, now is the time to trade them in for the new metal dome tweeter to match your current Stratus speakers. I found a huge difference in this speaker compared to the C-5. Your 5 channel mode will also benifit greatly. You can contact me for a direct # to a Canadian supplyer who will ship anywhere( I guess everyone knows now, Len Gerling)giving my name will get you a good deal, so please do email me for the proper phone #.

Purchased At:   email me for price

Submitted by Roy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
This review is for PSB’s updated C-6i center channel. This speaker uses metal dome tweeters similar to those in the Stratus Gold’s, or at least they appear to be to be physically similar domes. I replaced the C-5 with this speaker and have been very pleased. The Lexicon Music Logic and Music Surround modes are very much better with the C-6i than with the C-5. The biggest difference is in the high end, where the sound is open and airy. My system is used for both music and video, as I assume it true for most people. If you use surround speakers in your music reproduction, I recommend that you audition this speaker, it deserves a listen. The Stratus Gold speakers have a very clean and open sound, which is closely matched by the C-6i.

Front Speakers – PSB Stratus Gold
Rear Speakers – PSB Alpha
Amplifier – Bryston 9B THX
Processor – Lexicon MC-1
Sound – Outstanding

I purchased this speaker from Len Gerling at 604-859-4200 for a very good price!

Purchased At:   A&B Sound