PSB Speakers Stratus C5 Center Center Channels

4.33/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $499.00

This center channel speaker includes 2 X 0.5" (14mm) Poly-flare Dome Tweeters with Ferrofluid and 2 x 5.25" (133mm) Polypropylene Cone Woofers with Rubber Surround.

Submitted by Sonefree a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
I sold my PSB Image 9c, to match my PSB Silveri speakers. The sound is so natural. Just like the silveri. For me it's the perfect match. PSB speakers is the best value out there.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by AdioNut a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
Wonderful laid back sound. Great bass and a seamless match with my Silveri. I initially noticed the treble but after a couple of days I realized that I was noticing detail I may be biased toward British sound kit but I am very quickly realizing that us North Americans kick ass. Just listen to a pair of Wilson Sophias driven by a Cary Audio front end WOW! The PSB's have a forgiving informative sound with no hint of the brightness many HT speakers exhibit.

Purchased At:   Great Met.

Submitted by d myers a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
My five cents here. This speaker is clearly not for everyone. Not for those looking for boom and sissle. But it is for people who want clear, natural sound from their center channel, a requirement for rendering dialogue accurately. It matches with my Bronze nicely. Now, if I can figure out what to do for the rear channel speakers. In the meantime, friends with booming systems are awe at what sound really sounds like with the PSBs.

Purchased At:   hificiti

Submitted by Vica a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
All in all, I have got to say this is a great speaker. The dual 1/2" dome tweeters realy do keep lobing to a minimum. I currently run mine full range and find the bass response good. Granted, 6" drivers would be good but these speakers go below 80HZ easily. I do question some of the reviewers misgivings when they are placed with any of the usual suspects(B&W, Tannoy,etc...) because if your fronts diverge greatly in sensitivity, tonal character, etc it could make things sound off, Especially if using fronts more efficient the speaker might sound underwhelming. I used to own a complete image suite but found them a bit bright. However, the speakers did match a bit better because the share common drivers and tweeters. I reckon if HT is your be all and end all, go IMAGE. If like me, you enjoy a little music in your coffee, the Stratuses provide a good compromise B/W HT and music.

Submitted by Thomas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have used this speaker for about 3 years now, and I am very satisfied with it's performance. I use Status Golds as the mains, and they match up very well.
Like all PSB speakers, the C5 is very neutral sounding, not overly bright like some brands. At first it took some getting used to, but after you listen to enough different source material, you appreciate that you are listening to what the films creators intended for you to hear.
In my setup, the C5's job is dialogue and it does that well. Voices are very natural sounding, with nothing added and nothing taked away.
The price of this speaker has gone up considerably since I got mine, so the value for the dollar is not as good as it once was. That's why I'm only giving it a four on value. Otherwise, I highly recommend this speaker, and the PSB Stratus series in general.

Purchased At:   Sony Store