PSB Speakers Alpha Center Center Channels

4.33/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $179.00

This center channel speaker has a 1/2" (14mm) Poly-flare Dome with Ferrofluid and 2 x 4 1/2" (100mm) Poly-coated Fiber Cone Woofers with Rubber Surrounds.

Submitted by Bruce Henness a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is a very special little center speaker. As I remember...this was one of the very few center channel speakers that was mentioned in (approved by) Stereophile before they quit reviewing surround equipment. I have replaced it with a far more expensive 3 way center (which is really how they SHOULD be designed) but I believe this little PSB actually sounds better to my ear.
I am not a head banger and I listen to movies at a volume level that will not cause major structural damage...so I cannot comment how far this speaker will go beyond common sense. But it will go plenty loud for me and deliver excellent sound in the process. It is not the least bit impressive to look at....but it is a real player when it comes to delivering the goods.
You can't go wrong with this little gem......
Very highly recommended!

Purchased At:   Audio Video Today

Submitted by lawr1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
Execellent clean sounding center channel!
It is the first home theatre center channel I have owned and I am extremely pleased with the sound and the clarity
Excellent entry level and a bit above that

Purchased At:   Great Metropolitan S

Submitted by Dave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
I got this centre channel along with some PSB Alpha A/Vs as surrounds for my system. I'm currently running a Yamaha RXV-596 with PSB Stratus Bronzes as fronts, without a sub - bass is run through the Bronzes.

This center channel is a real bargain. At $170 cdn, you can't go wrong with this center. I will agree that it is missing some bass and overall presence, but it does the job. I listen to much more music than HT, so I'm completely satisfied with this speaker. I was considering the PSB Image 8C, but it is much larger and the price jump was considerable.

I've watched a few concert DVDs (Santana and Sting) and listened to some DTS encoded CDs, and this speaker performs very well with the 5.1 music. It's got excellent clarity, without being harsh, and it doesn't sound boomy when you raise the volume. Overall, it sounds very balanced, although it can't compete with larger more expensive center channels.

It's worth a try.

Purchased At:   Audio Centre

Submitted by Drew a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am a proud Canadian supporter of PBS products, yet I am unhappy with this center and going to upgrade to the psb image 8c. This is far from a bad product, but it is a reminder of how important center channels are for 5.1 movies. I have learned that you shouldn't try to save on the center channel. It sounds good for music, but dialogue needs to be more clear.

I'm sorry to bugger the perfect rating, but people should know how important the center is to your system. I should note that I live in an apartment and cannot crank my system. I keep my arcam diva 5.1 amp at around 43 Db and boost my center, but it is still hard to hear quiet dialogue while everthing else in the mix is quite loud.

Purchased At:   sony store

Submitted by Duan a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was tired of my beaten Technics and looked for a good center for a good price. After listening to the Alpha, it sounded the same, if not better than the B&W ($399) and the DefTech ($299) I was checking out. There was a same priced DefTech, but it was about half the size as the Alpha (box and the speakers)

I can't say I've listened music through it, but movies sound great! I literally have heard things on the Alpha that I didn't hear on my old Technics! Outstanding!

The only weakness, the grill, doesn't affect anything. Its just the knowledge you can't take it off and just look at the speaker.

Purchased At:   Hi Tech Audio