Polk Audio CS1000 Center Channels

4.89/5 (9 Reviews)

center channel

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
This center is awesome. I got it accomodation from Polk, so price was not a factor for me... I wanted to clear up that it is bi-ampable and you do not need a y-apater for the center pre-out connection that someone previously posted. If you want the specs for this unit, check out their site, but if they are in limited supply these days as they are a little older model. I got it to fit with my little older system, and it impresses me most importantly and anyone else who sees it. My system is:
Hitachi 53SWX10B Projection TV
Pioneer Elite DV-37 DVD Player
Pioneer DX-608 Receiver (To be replaced)
Polk Audio RT55's Front R/L
Polk Audio CS1000 Center
Polk Audio F/X1000 Surround R/L
No sub since I live in an apartment, probably add a Velodyne later. I use system for home theatre primarily, but it is good musically too.

Purchased At:   Polk Accomodation

Submitted by Anonymous Anonymous a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
This big unit is a must for anyone who is serious about their speakers, the sound quality is very superior. I paid $850 for this baby, which is kinda pricy, so those who are on a budget, I recommend the polk 400i center (which in performance is just a tad under the cs1000p and you'll save about $400-500 dollars, which you can use on the polk fx500's). This baby comes just a tad under 60 pounds, so get some help from your friends carrying it those stairs. The measures of this baby is 34"W x 8-5/8"H x 14"D, thats just a tad under 3 feet in width, so it won't fit "most" entertainment sets and you wont be able to place in on "most" standard television sets, which is bad because you wont be able to place it inline from the place where you are watching the movie (I had to place mines on top of my entertainment set, which is about 2.5-3.0 feet above ear level, sound quality was still good, but not as good if you can position it inline with your ears when your sitting down watching it). Another bad point is that you cant biamp these babies to your fronts, so those who are looking for this option, I suggest getting the polk 400i. There are two options for wiring on this baby, first option is to just plainly wire it to/from the speaker to the receivers center wire output. Second option is to use a RCA cable from the speaker to your receiver's pre-out (this also requires you to keep the original wiring in option 1, so you'll have to have two wires going to/from your receiver). I currently have it setup using option 1, if anyone knows it option 2 (using the RCA cables/Receivers Pre-out) is better, let me know. This unit does not come with a RCA cable, and requires you to purchase both a standard RCA cable and a Y Connector (I did'nt want to spend anymore monies than necessary so I opped for option 1). This baby is also powered by its own AC cord, which is three pronged, so that the speakers are properly grounded (for those who care).
To Sum up.

Negatives include
1) cant bi-amp

2) requires Y-cable if you choose to use your receivers pre-out.

3) To wide for a center, unable to place it inline with your ears. A little under 3 feet from left to right.

4) Heavy, unit stands at 60#'s

5) Price, would anyone pay $850 for these? NOT, I think the polk 400i is a better buy.

Positives include

1) Excellent Sound quality (however you might get the same quality with the polk 400i).

2) "Voice" quality out of these babies are superior, you wont have to say "What the hell did he say?" e.g. bose vcs10

3) Heavy, 60#'s hard (but possible) for someone to steal from your house.

4) Three pronge AC Wire for proper grounding.

5) also forgot this baby can handle up to 250 watts, I was blasting both my music and playing dvd's (not at the same time) at a pretty high level and this baby didnt even flinch. I didnt see any difference in Sound quality when playing regular cd's or listening to the radio, its only when playing dvds in 5.1 or dts when you really notice the difference.

Note: Bose sucks big time, dont be fooled. If your on a budget, go with Bose and Sony (they are made for each other, i.e. both suck). If you have money to spend and a audio freak, go with polk and denon (they are made for each other, i.e. both go hand in hand together).

Thank you for taking time to review my review.
If you have any feedback, feel free to message me on this board topic so that every can know the real truth and not the over rated hype bose and sony gets.

Purchased At:   Anonymous

Submitted by Caleb Larson a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is one massive center. Get two people to help lift it, or have it down in front. Unfortunatly, however the amp is acting like an AM tuner, so I'm getting static, and sometimes a station comes in. But, if you want unbelievable sound and power, this is by far the best I've heard.

Purchased At:   The Good Guys

Submitted by Adam J a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
This center channel is awesome. While I have heard some that sound a little cleaner and more precise (Aerial Acoustic, etc...), this sub is a great buy.

Instead of just hearing all the action, you can feel it too.

Submitted by Trey Kirkpatrick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
I don't think I can give a review about a speaker without mentioning the receiver used to drive the speaker and the other speakers used in the setup first....

My Setup:
Denon 3801 Receiver
Front: 2 Polk Audio Signature SDAs (1990)
Rear : 2 Polk Audio RT800i
Sub : 1 Polk Audio PSW250 (came free with the CS1000p)

You may notice that I'm using two of the Polk Signature Reference System speakers (these are the old ones with 8 midrange, 4 tweeters, and a 12" sub)... I bought the CS1000p to keep up with those two monsters. It has handled everything I've thrown at it flawlessly. DVD's with 5.1 channel output are when this speaker really shines. There is a surprising amount of special effects that are played on the center channel and having the dual subs in the center channel speaker will not let you miss out on anything. Voices from TV and video have a very realistic sound quality. I couldn't tell you how the speaker sounds with other receivers, but I love the warm, natural sound produced from the Denon 3801/CS1000p combo. 105w @ 8 ohms is plenty of power. (Remember there are built in powered subs so the speaker has a lot of its own power--- the speaker plugs into a wall outlet)

Polk Audio doesn't make crappy products. My SDAs that I'm using with this speaker are over 10 years old and sound better than ever. I expect the CS1000p will have a long life as well.

You would almost defiantly want a big-screen TV for this bad-boy to sit on unless you have a big wooden entertainment center that can hold the speaker. It is about 60 pounds, a yard long, and 8 inches tall! It is like a floorstaning speaker turned over on its side. I always say Bose speakers are for guys with small d*cks who say "size doesn't matter"! --This is a speaker for guys who know size DOES matter and why! (But my girlfriend doesn't think so, she hates my setup, she says it is all too big ...big speakers must be a guy thing)

It is just an intimidating speaker and sounds bigger and better than it looks! That is what I was looking for so 5 stars all the way!

E-mail me or IM me if you want to ask any questions or just to talk about stereo stuff. ---->TKirk3rd@aol.com

Purchased At:   Cruchfield (they threw in a free sub!)