Polk Audio CS1 Center Channels

3.6/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $200.00

• Video-shielded
  • Bass-reflex design
  • Frequency response 65-24,000 Hz (-3dB)
  • 8-ohm impedance
  • Sensitivity 89 dB
  • Handles up to 125 watts
  • 5-way binding post terminals
  • 18"W x 7"H x 9-5/8"D

Submitted by gcook67 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2005

Bottom Line:
I recently returned a Bose VCS-10 center channel speaker for the Polk CS1. I thought the Bose would blend well with my other Bose speakers, but it didn't. Movie dialogue was too muffled. The Polk sounds Crisp, Clean, Accurate and blends in well with the sound of my Bose speakers. Even though the enclosure is pretty large for a center channel speaker I think it looks great.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by RickKlages a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2005

Bottom Line:
Sounds very balanced with Polk Moniter 50 mains. Good deal. easy to understand movie dialog. Strong highs and mids. Blends well with Polk subwoofer (PSW250). Used with Sony electronics.

Purchased At:   PC Richard

Submitted by masanz1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2005

Bottom Line:
After reading the review of the person giving this product a 1 I felt I should give a honest review. First off, it is not a good idea to mix and match components in a home theatre, of course it is going to sound bad if you are not matched, especially up front. The center sounds great with my R50's in movies. I do not find the center boomy, I do have everything set to small with a 80hz cutoff so I do not feed all signals to it, I find it precise with voices but the mids slightly flat.

Purchased At:   Video Only

Submitted by Oldowan Man a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
I'm not exactly a "Polk Basher" owning a small pair of 1986 Monitor 7s. Maybe, I'm just spoiled by my Klipsch. I found this Polk CS1 to be booming and too much colorization! It had a "standing in a cave" colorization to it next to my Klipsch RF-3s, this center speaker just wasn't going to cut the mustard at all. Also, the highs were muffled, and it just plain had a cheaper sound to it in my experience, so I returned it for an Infinity Beta C250BK being that I can't afford to try out or keep a Polk LSi series for $800! The additional $70 though was well worth it folks! I know the CS1 isn't Polk's finest, and maybe it's just a matter of class, but for a little more, the Beta kicks it's booty "real bad"! The Beta is very compact and highly dense as opposed to the larger, boxier Polk. The Beta is a sealed design and it uses better materials in it's drivers. The grill is even a high density (low resonance) metal, very heavy when removed. The screw terminals and nuts are both gold plated and both metal! The Infinity Beta proves to yield a much tighter and cleaner sound. The details in the voice are much more accurate and distinct. Construction materials, tolerances, and overall quality is readily apparent as soon as one opens the box and removes the packaging materials. This speaker more accurately rivals the sound quality I've become accustomed to in my RF-3s. I think it's a keeper! :)

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by richman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2004

Bottom Line:
In the Polk sound room I checked all the center channels. I didn't hear much difference between the CS1 and other more expensive models. With 2 pair of monitor 30's and a PSW202 I get an awesome sound stage at a great price.

Purchased At:   Frys

thiel CS1.6

I'm planning to buy a new system: what I have in mind is an Ayre CX-7 CD player with Ayre V-5XE and K-5XE amp/pre-amp, and Thiel CS1.6 speakers. However, a local shop advised that the Thiels - although they're a good match for the Ayres - need a lot more space around them than is available in my liv ... Read More »

Quad 22L, Monitor Audio Silver RS8, Thiel Cs1.6 ??

Hello everyone, been listening to lots of great speakers and have come up with a few favorites in my price range ($2000US): the 22L, RS8, and CS1.6. These have been the best to my ear for soundstage and clarity. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to handle rock/metal recordings - especially at louder v ... Read More »