Monitor Audio Silver Center 10
Description: Two 5.5" mid-bass drivers, 1 metal tweeter

Submitted by falcondan9570 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have the Silver 5s, 10i Center, and the Fxi rears... When it comes to my ears, and impressing ME.. This is definately the ticket.. This IS BY FAR, WITHOUT A DOUBT, THE BEST SOUNDING SPEAKER SYSTEM! PERIOD!! I have listened to so many Canadian and American built systems, they all sound very similar. Drab, laid back, polite, distant, whatever you want to call it.. I wanted an IN YOUR FACE, EXCITING, loudspeaker with PRESENCE!!! I equate it to , Standing OUTSIDE the concert, then going inside!!! That's how different the sound is..I have been looking for years for a system to replace my Polk LS-70, klipsh center, paradigm sub... Within 2 minutes of hearing the Silver 5s, I was hooked.. I don't care what others may say. To me, these are the Best sounding speakers I have heard at ANY PRICE!!!Everytime I listen I am impressed.. Listening in Stereo mode the sound stage is so large, I have to get up and go to the Reciever to see if its in 5 Channel mode...At times the sound stage is so Large I hear instruments comming from the side of the room, or near the walls.. It is that good!!!The Highs are sweet, the mids are smooth and the bass is very tight. None dominate another... A perfect mix... I hope Monitor Audio WILL NEVER STOP MAKING THESE!!! If you want a Home theater that handle movies and music in fashion, that has the strongest "BANG FOR THE BUCK" value... This is it ....

Purchased At:   private sale used

Submitted by markj a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
Great little center. Sound is excellent
for the investment. Built quality is also
excellent.

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have has this speaker for over 2 years, and it sounds fantastic. I have been recently laid off so I have had plenty of time to listen to others centers at some of the finer home theater stores in the Dallas area, and this one sounds as good as any of them regardless of price. My system consists of a Pioneer DVD player, Denon AVR-3300, and the Monitor Silvers 5s for the front, and 3s for the back.

The sound is very clear, and voice reproduction is true. IMHO you can not go wrong with the Monitor Silver series for home theater, and 2 channel. If you use a mid level or higher receiver, and good cables, you can not go wrong

Purchased At:   Internet

Submitted by Paul a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
Though I liked these speakers when I first auditioned them at my local dealer, I probably wouldn't have even considered them if it wasn't for the glowing article in Home Theater Magazine. Over time (I owned them for just over a year), the speakers wore on me. I found them boxey and somewhat hollow sounding and overly bright. I wasn't thrilled that one had to do all of the tweeks just to get them to sound good (and I tilted them, toed them in, filled them with sand and of course broke them in for a week). Don't get me wrong, they are nice speakers, just not worth the price. I sold the speakers and replaced them with the M&K S150THX system - WOW whatta difference!!! I really like Dynaudio and would have chosen them over M&K if I was a little more into music (vs. home theater).

The MAs don't image as well as I would have liked in stereo mode and sound somewhat strained at reference level home theater playback (good electronics: Lexicon MC-1 & Bryston 9B). Even with gear (B&K AVR 305) and cables that are know to be "laid back sounding" I found the MAs unnaturaly bright.

Company support is mediocre at best. I received a replacement amp for my ASW 110 sub because the original one was humming (new one dodn't fix the problem BTW). The amp was very poorly packed and arrived with bent cooling fins and one edge was smashed in where the bolt hole is. MA didn't want to replace the amp because this didn't affect the sound. Give me a break! I scratched one of the (black) speakers and tried to get a little touch up paint. After getting "I don't know" answers from Monitor Audio USA, I contact the british company and still couldn't get touch up paint. Try sending an email on the web site. I got a response 3+ months after sending the message. The only person who really knows what he's talking about is Bruno and you have to call him on the telephone and be lucky enough to catch him in the office. It's little things like this that turn me off about a company, no matter how good the product. IMHO, this is a two bit operation.

Monitor Audio does seemingly nothing to protect consumers' investment in these speakers. Though I did get a decent deal at my local dealer, the used value of these speakers is driven into the ground by all of the people on Yahoo Shopping and eBay whoring theses things out for what seems to be dealer cost or below (if that's possible). I've owned other speakers and have sold them used. I fully expect to loose money in this sort of transaction but this was rediculous. I did manage to minimize minimize my loss on the sale, though.

If you decide that these speakers are for you, evaluate them very carefully a second time to be sure and then get the best rock bottom deal you can from your local dealer (for warranty support).

Purchased At:   authorized dealer who sold this over the net

Submitted by Hish a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
Again, MA has mad my jaw drop to the ground. I have always known the importance of a centre speaker, but I honestly thought there would be no difference between this and my previous Polk centre speaker. I was wrong. I am hearing things in my movies (especially the Matrix) that I didn't hear with my Polks. Along with this, dialogue is MUCH clearer (even at lower volumes) with this centre speaker. This is a perfect match to my MA 8i front speakers and MA asw 110 sub. Truly a great buy.

Purchased At:   Audio 5.1