Magnepan Magneplanar MMG C
Description: Center channel, one way, 100-16khz

Submitted by StevenSurprenant a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2011

Bottom Line:
I use the MMGC in conjunction with MC1's for my mains and MMGW for my surrounds. I spent years moving the MMGC around to try to get it to sound right and kept thinking about upgrading. I only had 2 choices, above the TV and below. I would also move it at different distances from the back wall. It seemed that there was something just not right about the sound. Also my TV (52 inch) is at eye level for the center of the screen which means that the MMGC is above or below my ears. Eventually, I placed the speaker below the TV and propped it up so that it would be aimed upwards towards my ears. For such a little adjustment, it made all the difference in the world. Voices sound natural and extremely clear and it completely integrates with my mains.

If I were forced to mention any negatives, it would be that the bass is a little shy so some male voices loose a little bit and may sound a little light weight. Still, the clarity and naturalness far outweighs that small issue.

FYI, the MMGC are also about 1 foot from the back wall.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by sriedesel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2005

Bottom Line:
Let's put this review into proper context. This is a $300 speaker, repeat $300 speaker...Okay? Magnepan has more expensive offerings if you like. I use this center along with two matching pair of MMG W speakers and for $900 it is awesome! The sound is wonderful, these produce traditional Magnepan sound, the beauty is in the midrange and that's where a center speaker shines right? The highs are okay and it produces no bass (subwoofers do that), but the sound is ambient, airy and most importantly you can understand the spoken word. This speaker also allow listeners to sit a little out of the sweet spot and still be involved.

Purchased At:   Direct from Magnepan

Submitted by ace5000 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2004

Bottom Line:
I first received a pair of MMG Ws to be used as part of a 5.1 HT system. These speakers are extreemly impressive when sitting in the "sweet spot" and offer a certain kind of magic. After a couple of months of waiting for the C center channel, I can't say I have beed able to get the same openess and dynamics from this speaker. It seems to be very subdued and lacking in dynamics. Overall dissapointing as the dialog always seems pushed back as well even though the volume levels have been calibrated. It begs to be turned up louder. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it as I value a center channel as the most critical speaker in the system. Magnepan may have dropped the ball when attemping to match the MMG C to the MMGWs.

Purchased At:   Direct

Submitted by Daddy-Oh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
Read the 14 reviews on the MMG C and save me the time to repeat everything already said... except one. As this is a really big speaker I had a serious issue with the wife on placing it anywhere over the fireplace or where it could be seen for that matter. She approved of the side wall placement and fold-away bracket mounting of the MMG W Maggies that were bought as a system with the center speaker for a mere $299. But the fireplace mantle was a totally unacceptable place for a speaker. My solution? We have large oak beams that run accross the ceiling in our family room. I hung the center speaker behind the beam and firing backwards toward the brick fireplace that's about 3 feet away.

As unorthodox as this sounds, the sound was great! Imaging and clarity was not compromised whatsoever to my ears and the beheamouth is virtually invisible, well, enough so that it passes the "wife factor" test. Don't be discouraged over not having the luxury of an ideal speaker placement - that scenario is only compatible with a no-wife factor.

Purchased At:   Direct from Magnapan