JBL S-Center Center Channels

4.72/5 (109 Reviews)

Studio series center channel. This 3-way 5-1/4" center channel loudspeaker with high-impact molded enclosure reproduces sound with unmatched clarity and power.

Submitted by Fretwater a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2017

Bottom Line:
I rescued this treasure from my local recycling dump about a year ago and used it in a zone 2 in the dinning room. It sounded great due to 3 way design and high power. It was obviously neglected for some time and I cleaned out the dead spiders and dust!

I finally decided to swap it into my main HT since my current center only hit 90 Hz when calibrated with my onkyo tx-nr818 with audessey multi eqt32. The audessey calibration and separate mic measured it good down to 60 Hz! Thus I set it to 80hz and it has been a great addition to my 9.1 HT. Just goes to show that quality stands the test of time and in my case the trash. Compactor!!!!

Submitted by JBG a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2013

Bottom Line:
Unbelievable sound from such a small speaker system. Nice and Crisp...

Submitted by mace a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2011

Bottom Line:
paid $20. replaced an older Boston 2 way center. The Tonal quality is flawless. Can't go wrong for $20!

Submitted by bleedink a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
I just purchased this for 45 bucks on Craigslist and it far surpasses all the other speakers Ive had. I am using it with a Pioneer VSX1019 and the sound is unbelievable. When I heard that the center was the most important part of the home theater I was pretty skeptical. But in practice they're spot on. It totally brings out the fullest sounds from all your speakers. The rest of my system has some solid budget speakers that received great reviews. I was getting good sound before but this last piece probably added hundreds of dollars in value to my system as a whole. Before I had a smaller tin sounding center with one tiny speaker. I had no idea the difference this would make! I have to say this was the MOST informed purchase I made. And at 45 dollars I am still in astonishment. I see more modern center channels that are tiny and have the worst sound. These probably havent been made in years which is a sad shame. This is why most people's systems that spent many hundreds or thousands more than me sound weaker than mine. It doesnt matter if you mix and match speakers with a modern AVR--you can dial individual speakers down. I got much better value mixing and matching parts depending on the need i had (ie more sound out of the front--choose floorstanding or more bass a better sub). I have 1200 worth of speakers i paid less than 400 dollars for.

Submitted by Doc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2009

Bottom Line:
What a pity they don't make these anymore!

Bought this to upgrade an older JBL home theater system. Used with a pair of S38's in the back and an old but still excellent pair of L96's in the front all with 100 watts/channel with a 15" 400 watt subwoofer that can kill small animals.

Clarity... this center is crystal clear for all uses - high - mid - bass whatever. You can set your receiver to "center-large" and not be disappointed with the response. While it's no subwoofer, it can handle down to a hundred Hz or so without issues but it really excels in the highs. Seamless fills.

Excellent value, excellent sound. Only negative is the molded plastic case, seems cheap for the old-timers.. but what the heck, it works really well and what would you make something like this out of if not plastic? Besides, it looks great and has obvious quality manufacture.