JBL HLS Center
Description: HLS series Center Channel Speaker

Submitted by Al a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
I agree, with the 90 degree rotation of the tweeter, since I have small room, and had to sit in front of it at about 7 feet, and before I had to sit right in front of it to hear the action, and now when I sit 3 feet away from the center I hear everything very clear. This makes it a 5 for value and overall rating.

Purchased At:   EBAY

Submitted by Rob Babcock a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is not a review of the JLS Center: rather, I'm writing to point out an alternative to the JBL center for those who don't like it for whatever reason.

I'm a really big fan of the HLS 610, and I own 2 pairs. I think at the size/price catagory they're awfully tough to beat, especially at the $125/pair I paid. They do more right than they should at the price, and any music lover on a budget should try to dig a pair up.

Monitor Audio of England is my current favorite speaker company. I was playing around with a pair of Bronze 3s normally used in one of the upstairs bedrooms one day when I decided to see how bad they kill my old HLS 610s. I placed the JBLs on top of the floor standing Bronze 3; since they both use banana plugs it's relatively quick and easy to swap the cable between them. This speaker cable is fed from a high-passed THX-certified amp, with a pair of subs providing the bass. This way, the speakers produce only material above 80hz, levelling the playing field.

To my surprise, the Monitors DIDN'T wreck the JBLs. On the contrary, I was surprised at how similarly they are voiced. Granted, I've listened to both of them extensively without a sub, and there the Bronze is definately superior.

Therefore, I recommend the Monitor Audio Bronze Center as an excellent match for the JBL HLS Series. I can attest that in my listening test with the JBLs and the Bronze center (from the aforementioned bedroom system) that the sound was impressively seamless. Can't say I've ever heard the JBL HLS Center, but by the posts it seems to have very poor dispersion. However, the Bronze has excellent dispersion.

Hope this helps any prospective JBL HLS buyers.

Submitted by Matthew Goff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
Don't believe the bad rap! The imaging is perfect with this speaker (without rotating the horn). Vocals sound really good and the speaker is at its best during an action or shoot-out scene on DVD.

The accuracy of this unit is great although it does lack some midbass punch during explosions.

Perfect match for other HLS series speakers!!!

Couldn't find this speaker anywhere locally and picked it up on Ebay for $140. A bit expensive for a discontinued speaker, but it matches my other 4 HLS speakers...

Submitted by steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
for the money its hard to beat good sound even at higher voulumes and music dvd's like eagle's hell freezes over in dts i would recommend it to some one in the 180.00 and under price range

Submitted by Royce a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
Other then the small sweet spot, I have been more then satisfied with the HLS Center. After reading about rotating the horn 90 degrees I gave it a try. The horn has no screws holding it in, just some double-sided tape. It is easily rotated and placed back in. The grill fits back on just like it did. The only thing is that you don't see JBL anymore, and you may have to remove some of the tape that will stick out form under the horn. Once completed it is truly a five star speaker and if you don't like it you can always change it back. I'm happy now because I'm getting the sound I paid for. I'm giving it 3 stars because I had to do the work JBL should have.