Energy Speaker Systems AC-300 Center Channels

4.83/5 (53 Reviews) MSRP : $450.00

Submitted by Jessie a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2014

Bottom Line:
I purchased these AC300 speakers L/C/R + RVSS rears. when they first came on the market . They are perfect for cinema. You really need to spend big $$ to get equal sounding speakers for cinema.

Strengths are in the mid range band . Vocals are amazing. Sound stage is big for a small speaker. You really get the feeling you are there in the movie. Every sound , every detail is reproduced with pin point accuracy. Unbelievable really when you consider the size of these .

They almost fee like electrostatics , as far as sound stage goes.
Imaging is excellent but not perfect . ( they don't go as deep as models that use 8" drivers)
If your listening to classical music you will be pleasantly surprised on how they perform.
Rock music - Excellent if you have good source . You can hear the guitarist plucking stings.
RnB very sweet as the bass is tight and deep .
These speakers are considered to have a flat frequency response. Both woofer x (2) are polycone with injection molded baskets. and tweeters are 25mm metal dome, hence the detail in the upper register. Both are good quality and magnetically shielded so you can put them near the old TV's .
Cabinets are made of 25mm MDF and build very solid. Two rear firing Bass reflex ports tuned to roughly 35hz that's why they have such good bass.

The Surrounds RVSS surrounds are amazing also. There really reproduce the surround affect without taking your attention away from the front sound stage.

Give the AC300's a good quality amp , sit back and enjoy . If you get a chance to buy a pair do not hesitate. If you only get a chance to buy one your just teasing yourself. But still buy it cos you might get another chance to buy another single unit. You will be smiling I can assure you.

I audition many brands of speakers and find it difficult to match anything to these. You have to start going into +$5K AUD range for an overall comparison. Sound stage, imaging , clarity , response, balance. Even then its hit and miss .

Till this day I still use these AC300 for home cinema & Scanspeak Transmission Line towers I built myself for Stereo listening.. But Scan-speak drivers are another class altogether.

I would give them 5 Starts on value for money. You really cannot buy a better speaker for the price. After you listen to these don't waste your time looking at speakers under $5K AUD . I would compare these to be similar to the Even the dynaudio reference bookshelf models don't have the overall balance. In my opinion that's what makes a truly great speaker. Good balance of attributes.

Submitted by SKMP123 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a very high quality, high performance small speaker, and like most people, I wanted it for a reasonable price. Well, these energy speakers may not be the cheapest small speaker you can buy, but considering the engineering, build quality and performance, I think they are a very good value. I drive them with a ati 1505 channel set-up. Most use is with 2-channel CD's via Dolby Pro Logic II Music mode, but they do also see quite a bit of use with video. (sat TV and DVD) I would characterize their performance as accurate. They are not a speaker designed to sound one way or another, or to work best with one kind of music or another. They are simply designed to faithfully reproduce what is fed into them. And they do this very well. In fact, they are rated So any serious deviations from neutrality you are likely to hear, you can blame on the room or something else; not the energy ac-300 Of course, low bass is rolled off. These are quite compact speakers, after all. But if carefully placed near room boundaries, their acoustic suspension design will surprise you with their smooth, usable bass down to about 50Hz. But still, they are best used with a good sub or two. This will let you "have it all": Outstanding imaging AND solid, deep bass. I highly recommend these speakers to anyone who wants better than average quality and performance in a small package with an affordable price.

Submitted by mfinny77 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2009

Bottom Line:
I purchased this center, along with two pair of C-2 bookshelf speakers, in 1999 while working at goodguys!. Well, that company may be gone, but these speakers still sound great! I have always loved the sound from the center, and wished that I had taken the advice of a co-worker who told me to buy 5 AC-300's for my surround setup. I paid about $240 at discount, we charged $399 to regular customers. What strikes me about these is how clear and efficient they are, without sounding over the top, like some of the klipsch speakers we carried. Not a tremendous amount of bass, but considering the size it's pretty good. Dialogue leaps off the screen, and sound effects sound transparent. The woofers are paper thin, and every now and then sound a little unnatural, kind of 'boxy', but still I am completely satisfied with them .I remember when I first got them ten years ago and first hooked up the system, how clear the shell casing's falling to the ground in move 'the matrix' were. In fact I have been scouring ebay trying to find a few more .The C-2's are good match, but are a bit lifeless and restrained sounding in comparison. The drivers are similar, but not quite the same. I found some A5+2's which I now have setup with it, and it just rocks! I believe those have identical tweeters, to the AC-300, so its a better match. If I can find a couple AC-300's for the rears, my 5 speaker system will be complete.

Submitted by zoomin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2007

Bottom Line:
nothing can beat these..like it more then infinity.have infinity 50ils front .bose 201 back.play it loud and they handle it better and claerer. wish i had five of them.they are loud and clearrrrrr. had them three years still cranks for me

Submitted by mmike1053 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
These speakers are awesome. I have 5 of them for Surround Sound. I bought 3 of these and loved them so much I ordered the other 2.

The sound from these speakers will astound you. Very clear, crisp, and detailed. Your source will have something to do with that as well, but these speakers are a real kockout.

I got them on closeout and they were a real steal. I upgraded from entry level Energy to these. I also run a couple hundred feet of biwired Kimber to all speakers for a great sound.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor