Energy Speaker Systems AC-300

Submitted by SKMP123 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a very high quality, high performance small speaker, and like most people, I wanted it for a reasonable price. Well, these energy speakers may not be the cheapest small speaker you can buy, but considering the engineering, build quality and performance, I think they are a very good value. I drive them with a ati 1505 channel set-up. Most use is with 2-channel CD's via Dolby Pro Logic II Music mode, but they do also see quite a bit of use with video. (sat TV and DVD) I would characterize their performance as accurate. They are not a speaker designed to sound one way or another, or to work best with one kind of music or another. They are simply designed to faithfully reproduce what is fed into them. And they do this very well. In fact, they are rated So any serious deviations from neutrality you are likely to hear, you can blame on the room or something else; not the energy ac-300 Of course, low bass is rolled off. These are quite compact speakers, after all. But if carefully placed near room boundaries, their acoustic suspension design will surprise you with their smooth, usable bass down to about 50Hz. But still, they are best used with a good sub or two. This will let you "have it all": Outstanding imaging AND solid, deep bass. I highly recommend these speakers to anyone who wants better than average quality and performance in a small package with an affordable price.

Submitted by mfinny77 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2009

Bottom Line:
I purchased this center, along with two pair of C-2 bookshelf speakers, in 1999 while working at goodguys!. Well, that company may be gone, but these speakers still sound great! I have always loved the sound from the center, and wished that I had taken the advice of a co-worker who told me to buy 5 AC-300's for my surround setup. I paid about $240 at discount, we charged $399 to regular customers. What strikes me about these is how clear and efficient they are, without sounding over the top, like some of the klipsch speakers we carried. Not a tremendous amount of bass, but considering the size it's pretty good. Dialogue leaps off the screen, and sound effects sound transparent. The woofers are paper thin, and every now and then sound a little unnatural, kind of 'boxy', but still I am completely satisfied with them .I remember when I first got them ten years ago and first hooked up the system, how clear the shell casing's falling to the ground in move 'the matrix' were. In fact I have been scouring ebay trying to find a few more .The C-2's are good match, but are a bit lifeless and restrained sounding in comparison. The drivers are similar, but not quite the same. I found some A5+2's which I now have setup with it, and it just rocks! I believe those have identical tweeters, to the AC-300, so its a better match. If I can find a couple AC-300's for the rears, my 5 speaker system will be complete.

Submitted by zoomin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2007

Bottom Line:
nothing can beat these..like it more then infinity.have infinity 50ils front .bose 201 back.play it loud and they handle it better and claerer. wish i had five of them.they are loud and clearrrrrr. had them three years still cranks for me

Submitted by mmike1053 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
These speakers are awesome. I have 5 of them for Surround Sound. I bought 3 of these and loved them so much I ordered the other 2.

The sound from these speakers will astound you. Very clear, crisp, and detailed. Your source will have something to do with that as well, but these speakers are a real kockout.

I got them on closeout and they were a real steal. I upgraded from entry level Energy to these. I also run a couple hundred feet of biwired Kimber to all speakers for a great sound.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by Joseph a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
Magnificent speakers. I bought two for two channel use only. Stereophile class A rating well deserved. A steal

Purchased At:   audio advisor