Definitive Technology C/L/R 2500 Center Channels

Reference Center/Left/Right Shielded Audio/Video Loudspeaker w/ built-in powered 150 watt Subwoofer

Submitted by horrorfan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought this speaker to complete my definitive technology set up. I was using a beloved Boston Acoustics VR12 for my center for about five years . I didn't think that the subwoofer built into the center would make much of a difference . Well I was wrong real wrong . The effortless sound produced by this speaker hass to heard to be beleived . When low bass info is sent to the center it really rocks the house. Male voices sound approriately deep and resonant without sounding chesty. You can make it sound chesty if thats what you like ..but I prefer a clean deep bass . This speaker really is a steal at the price they want for it . I am a true definitive fan . They simply cannot be touched in this price range .

Purchased At:   Clark music Latham N

Submitted by DeF_TecH_FreaK a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
I recently sold my well-loved Def tech CLR2000 center to a friend because his JBL(one I sold him as well)center was useless. I was left with nothing so I was deciding between the 2500 and the 3000. Because I'll be going 7.1 soon, I decided to get the 2500 for now, and a few months down the road, I'll get another one and move them to the back of the room for the rear surrounds, and get the 3000.

This thing, no offense to clr2000 owners, kills it. The 8" sub makes a world of difference. Listen to movies will Mel Gibson, Sean Connery, and a host of others, and you can feel their breath. It is like they are in the room. Having decent cables help too, I use BetterCables Premium's and they are awesome.

I used my trusty SoundCheck CD and ontop of my Pioneer HDTV, in the middle of the room, 5 feet high, this center channel at 25 Hz, put enough energy into the room to make it temble slightly. At 31.5 Hz, it blew all my friends away. They got up to see if My Def Tech Supercube was On, it wasn't. Infact, at 31.5 Hz, my TV still wasn't vibrating at all. Amazing!

I can't even imagine how good the clr3000 is! Where ever there is gun shots, and deep voices in a soundtrack, this center will make your $800.00 possibly the best 800.00 you will ever spend, period! Def Tech has done it again! Now if I can only figure out how they managed to get their Supercubes to pound the foundation..they are so tiny!

Purchased At:   Audio Craft (mayfiel

Submitted by Brent a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
First, let me say that I am extrmemely happy that I decided to purchase this center channel for my system. I had been using a somewhat sub-standard center channel for the past few years and I finally decided it was time to get a high-end cc to improve the sound of my HT. I auditioned several other center speakers(B&W, Martin Logan, Paradigm, Infinity, etc), but the CLR 2500 just seemed like the best overall choice for me in the end. Not taking anything away from those other brands because they were all very good and I probably would have been happy with any one of them. The Definitive just had a special quality to it that won me over and after a few months I'm still amazed by the clarity and quality this speaker delivers. I can see why Definitive Technology wins awards and gets great reviews--they really make excellent an excellent product and I couldn't give this center channel a higher recommendation. If you get a chance, go listen to one for yourself and you'll see(I mean hear) what I'm talking about

Purchased At:   Q Audio and Video

Submitted by Eric a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great clear sound. I bought a CLR 2300 and returned it, then tried the 2500. Night and day difference for clarity and detail. I am using the 2002tl's for fronts and bp8b's for rear surround.

Purchased At:   Ca store

Submitted by Darren a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
First, let me apologize for not getting back sooner. I've been on the video side of the fence lately. Purchased a 65" Mits HDTV...sweet!!! Anyway, I have had the 2500 for some time now, and it improves each time I fire it up. I have recently up graded my low-level input cable again; what a difference. The level of frequency information that is missed from "regular" center channels is overwhelming. Watch "THE PATRIOT"...the Mel Gibson one, not the Steven Segal...., and you will see what I mean. Mel's voice is low growl which gives his character an added dimension of power and conviction. On a conventional center this part of the character is missed; not that Mr. Gibson needs any help, but hey it don't hurt:-). Not to mention the gun blasts and cannon ball fire...the added bass energy the 2500 brought to the room was significant. I have my 2500 set to large, and my Velodyne HGS-15 subwoofer crossed-over at around 65-70hz. I have my Definitive BP-30s crossed-over at 40hz. I have found this combination to provide me with the fullest and cleanest sounding combination. I have not experienced any cancellation; each speaker seems to pick up where the other leaves off. Well I suppose that's it. There is not much else I can gloat about this product. Audition one and you will see what you've been missing!!

System:
Lexicon DC-1 v4 DTS,DD,THX EX
Rotel 200x5, 200x2 amps
Pioneer DVD
Mitsubishi 65" HDTV
CAL ICONmkII CD player
Definitive Technology...BP30s, 2500, BPXs
NHT Super Zero (rear surrounds)
MIT Terminator 2000 and Reference interconnects, speaker, and component video cables