Definitive Technology C/L/R 2300 Center Channels

4.79/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $599.00

Center speaker with two 4 1/2 mirange, one tweeter, and one 8" 150 watt RMS sub

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
I upgraded to Definitive Technology from a Polk Audio setup. I was initially concerned about the diminutive 4.5 inch drivers in the CLR2300, wondering how they would compare for dialog to the 6.5 inch drivers in my Polk center. That proved to be a non-issue as the dynamics of the 8 inch powered subwoofer kicks in. When an explosion happens in a movie, you feel it in the center. The tweeter sounds much sweeter compared to my Polks. The dynamic sound, low profile and gorgeous looks make this an easy reccomendation. This baby rocks for home theater and music.

Submitted by agentsarge a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
Never thought to write a review on the CLR2300 after doing so for the BP2006TLs. Please look for my review on the BP2006TLs for all the details.

I have now owned my Definitive Technology speakers for 4 months now. I still sit there in my chair with my mouth hanging hide open and eyes blinking! The speakers are just awesome! The speakers are way past the break in period of 60 hours. The sound has improved just like the manual says! By no means was the sound bad to begin with.

The CLR2300 is a great speaker! The feature that attracted me to the speaker was it's 8" powered sub. The speaker produces such big sound, totally filling the sound stage with highs and lows evenly. I have a Sony DA2ES receiver and have the low cut at 40Hz (what a great feature to have I must add) for the center channel. Wow! The sounds from The Matrix, Saving Private Ryan, Star Wars and so many more make you feel is if you are part of the action! The CLR2300s bass just makes other CC speakers sound small. Note: I have all the speakers in the front L/C/R sub-woofers cotrols set at 1 and 2 o'clock just like the manual says and the db is flat as well.

As for music, just pop in Eric Clapton's "One more car one more rider" DVD and you will find the sound from the CLR2300 outstanding! Direct Stream - 5.1, you will be sold on them!

My setup:

Receiver - Sony STR-DA2ES
DVD - Sony DVP-S300
TV - Sony 27" WAGA

Speaker / Bass setup:

Front LR - Small w/80Hz low cut off, running both Monster Z1 speaker cable and Monster sub-woofer cable off a Y.
Center - Small w/40Hz low cut off - let's take advantage of the nice 8" in the 2300, Monster Z1 CC speaker cable only.
Surround - Small w/80Hz low cut off
Subwoofer - Yes with 80Hz high cut

Purchased At:   Gramophone in MD

Submitted by Brian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
While I dont consider myself an Audiophile since I dont have and cant afford a 50k+ system, I do consider myself knowledgeable about good sound and audiophile quality products....that being said...

The CLR2300 is one of the best centers I've heard for the money - period. If you want even better response, look into the 2500 and/or 3000 model. My folks have a CLR1000b that we placed side by side with this one on the TV and did a comparison with BP2006tl fronts and BP6B rears (DT of course).

The results are mixed in my opinion... both speakers sound great, but the 2300 sounds a little better. The only times you'll REALLY notice this is on scenes like 'lobby shootout' in the "matrix" and scenes from great action movies like "Star Wars", etc.... If you like to watch your system cranked up to a good level (like I do), then you'll definantly like the 2300 better. I think vocals and effects are transmitted thru both centers well, but the 2300 adds that extra low...especially heard in guns shots, explosions, live music dvds, etc...

Now, the 'nitpicking' part, and I do mean nitpicking! The ONLY thing I can say bad about this product is it doesnt come with the feet or logo installed. This is because the center can be used vert or horizontally (and even used as left and right channels if you have two of them). To install the feet if you place it 'flat' on your tv (which 80%+ will do), then you have to 'hammer' the feet thru the grill sock on the bottom. Plus if you want the logo, you have to push it thru the front just under the tweeter. The holes are not precut and you could possibly damage your tweeter if your not careful! ....this is annoying to me so I left the logo and feet off until I become brave enough to install them.

To sum up, if your on a budget, I can recommend the CLR1000 (logo installed already, LOL). If you can swing that extra hundred or two, the CLR2300 will NOT let you down!!!!

Also, I've delt with DT customer service and I can tell you first hand they are the best in the business! You'll always get a quick email reply and/or a voice on the phone during operating hours!

Submitted by TheShape1212 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
The main reason I chose this model over Def Tech's larger models is my cabinet only has a 6" opening. Boy does it fit in perfectly and results in an understated and elegant look! As for performance, as a center speaker it is excellent. The 2300 blends it perfectly with my venerable BP20's. The 8" woofer does a good job reinforcing the low end while relieving the 4.5" mids, which sound very smooth. (just don't confuse the woofer with a full sized sub, its not!) I agree with the other poster, the only thing I didn't like about the 2300 when I first got it was installing the logo as well as the feet. It just seems cheap having to poke through the cloth to install them. However, once they are all installed, it looks perfect.

Purchased At:   Listening Room

Submitted by lex a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
Finally a speaker that matches the sound quality from my BP10s. Built in sub does add some oomph to the audio from the center channels which was lacking from other sub powered systems. It seems that you do truly get what you pay for when it comes to center speakers. Also, one sure has to take the 'star' rating with a grain of salt. How can so many speakers be rated 'far better than you imagined' and 'bargain'?

Purchased At:   The Specialists