Definitive Technology C/L/R 3000
Description: Reference Center/Left/Right Shielded Audio/Video Loudspeaker w/ built-in powered 150W Subwoofer

Submitted by NY1PR2002 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have to say that the more I use Definitive Technology Speakers I have no need to look at any other speakers regardless how much more expensive they may by or how "good" they may claim to be. I just got the CLR 3000 Center Channel an upgrade from my "beloved" CLR 2000 which is right now in a nice home in Denmark, Europe since it was purchased from a friend who is running 3 of them as L,C,R. Ive been enjoying Definitive Technology Speakers for over a year and all I was missing was this wonderful center channel.(Im using the BP2000TL as mains and 4 BPVX as rears in a 7.1 Channel System).Not to take away anything from the CLR2000 but with the CLR3000 the you get more deep voice,better dynamics,more natural sound,more transparency and much more detail.I have listened to many center channels from (Legacy Audio,Aerial Acoustics,Martin Logan,Thiel,Coincident,Paradigm,JBL to name a few) some costing 3 times as much as the CLR3000 in so called "High End Systems" and nothing has come close to the "trasparency and detail" that the CLR3000 produces.When I play DVD Audio CDs specially in DTS surround sound you can actually feel as if you were right there in a live concert. The same goes with MultiChannel SACD's, and when I play regular redbook cds I switch my processor to 7 channel stereo so I can enjoy the performance of this wonderful center channel.Remember that in order to trully apreciate the performance of this center channel I advice you to connect it in "Full Range" as I have and you will experience the ultimate with movies and music as well.

Purchased At:   Audio Breakthrougs

Submitted by chimera128 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
Well I just got the C/L/R 3000 along with 2 BP7000SCs, and I am very pleased with the performance with all. The speakers aren't broken in yet but dialogue is very easy to hear. I haven't had a problem with bass output from the C/L/R 3000 (that is what the knob on the back is for)and am happy with how well it blends in with the BP7000SCs. There is no tonal change going from left to right, or back for that matter. The BP10Bs blend quite well with the three along the front and I can't wait to replace the two promonitor's (wired through a sub)with BP30s.

Purchased At:   Local Retailer

Submitted by Dr_Bass a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I never used to buy-in to the break-in thing with speakers but after 8 months this speaker keeps getting better and better. I used to use a CLR2000 as a center and was never really happy with it, so when I got my hands on an extra BP2000 (which also happens to be every other speaker in my system right now, 2 in front and 3 across the back) I used this extra BP2000 as my center for a while and was very pleased. I layed it on the floor and pointed it up at the listening position, but after a few months it was always in the way and a bit weird looking so I went out and bought the CLR3000 and moved my BP2000 as my back center.

I must say that I went into this purchase not expecting great results. I expected it to sound like my CLR2000 with a little boom to it but I was totaly wrong. If my BP2000 was a 10 as a center then the CLR is a 9.5 First of all the 6 1/2 mid's are sealed which makes a very big diference and the 10" sub is beautifuly blended in to the rest of the system. I don't know how they did it but Definitive really did a good job on this speaker. Dialog is clean without muddying up deep voice characters but is right there when the action hits the center stage. In the Air Force One DVD during the take over scene, the machine guns enter the center and the Definitive makes you think its right there in the room with you. DTS music sound sweet, on the Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD in DTS Glenn Frey's voice didn't sound to good on my old CLR2000, I used to turn the center off but not now, the CLR3000 makes the whole DVD sound stunning. It's almost like having another BP2000 right there in the middle of my screen but not quite, the BP2000 had a little bit more warmth and authority to it but the trade off in convienence was worth it.

I run my CLR3000 vertical under my TV and tilt it up at the listening position. I found that running it vertical yeild a bit better sound quality.

I definately give this speaker a 5 star rating and would recommend it to anyone who is serious about their sound. Keep up the good work Definitive!!!!!!!

My system:
Denon AVR-3802
Sony Progressive Scan DVD player
Pioneer LaserDisc player
Sony CDR recorder
Sony MiniDisc recorder
JVC SuperVHS
Sony DolbyDigital decoder (used only as an AC3 RF demodulator for laser disc only)
5 BP2000's (2 in the front and 3 across the rear)
CLR3000 center
4 Powerfield 1500 subwoofers

Purchased At:   Monmouth Stereo

Submitted by Brat Prince a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
Price paid in canadian dollors.

I have been planning on upgrading my feeble old system for a few years now. I currently have a modest little system, Kenwood VR-509, Bose fronts, little boookshelf infinity rears, and a Sound Dynamics center and subs.

The C/L/R 3000 is the first piece in the 6mth upgrade. Followed by a full complement of definitve tech speakers. BPXV/P's for rears and surrounds. And BP 2000 fronts.

Right out of the box, this speaker has sounded amazing. I truly relize the difference a great center can make. I have been shopping around for a while and have listened to many simmilar makes. (Mission, Bose, Polk, Infinity) And for the price vs quality, you can't beat them.

They do take a while to really break in, I have been playing them hard for almost 3 months, and in the last few weeks the bass has really opened up in the 10" sub.

The bass I now recieve from the system has really mad a difference. I have actually had to turn down the 2 woofers I have now.

It does take a little tweaking to get the bass at a happy level with the rest of the system.

As for movie dialog, WOW. It is so crisp and clear now, and I am still using a crappy receiver. One odd thing I have noticed, is that when we listen to music in mp3 format from the PC into the stereo. I am finding little things I never noticed before. And not good things, bad quality music rips that sounded find on little speakers. I am now going to have to redownlad half my music. Small price to play for the big tradeoff.

All in al, I can recomend this speaker enuf.

Purchased At:   Advance Electronics

Submitted by Matt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
After I set this up in my system and playing with its settings I sat confused as to why I was having difficulties understanding what was being said. It was only after turning up the volume considerably on my Yamaha RX-V3000 did the subtle conversations become clear. At that level it preforms outstandingly but I dont always want to be sonically shaken from my seat while watching a movie. I plan to play with it some more and I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any. Overall it is still an outstanding speaker but you should know about this weakness.