Boston Acoustics VRC Center Channels

• MagnaGuard magnetic shielding
  • Reference-quality Boston Sound

Submitted by Mike 2352 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2006

Bottom Line:
Bought this speaker about 6 Mouths ago to go with the VR3. I was very disappointed with the sound, it was very tinny and lacked base tone to voices it was very bright sounding.

Purchased At:   Team Electronics

Submitted by NeedMyAudio a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
I upgraded from a Boston Acoustics (BA) CRC Center. After using the CRC for a few years, I decided that this speaker was lacking in size and capability in my surround sound system. The CRC did not have the same AMD tweeter that my BA 950 mains had and the CRC only had a 4 1/2 in driver. The center channel always seemed weak in volume compared to the 950 mains.

I originally purchased the CRC because I couldn't afford the next step up in the BA line. I don't want to seem like I'm putting the CRC speaker down. It really is a nice speaker (for a smaller system).

The VRC that I just purchased really makes a difference in the center channel performance of my system for both video surround sound and CD audio! The volume is noticeably better but the big difference in the quality of the audio. This speaker has a much richer quality to its audio. The VRC is a wonderful center channel speaker.

At $400.00, I thought that the VRC was a little pricey. But at $320.00 I felt that it was worth the price.

Purchased At:   Flanners Audio & Vid

Submitted by Screw Loose a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2005

Bottom Line:
Bought this to go with my Boston VR3 fronts, and Boston Bravo surrounds. Keeping the unique Boston sound all around was a major factor in my purchase. The mid driver and the VR HO tweeter do almost all the work in this center-so even though it has 2 bass driver's you don't notice much from them. It would have been better to have 2 tweeter's and/or 2 mid's with 1 bass driver. BUT, the mid and tweeter do an excellent job. The crossover is first rate with no wash out between the two. The high notes come out the tweeter, and the mid's through the mid. It also does an exceptional job with music-very detailed. In addition to Aerosmith and Clint Black, I like Andy Williams and Tony Bennett. The vocal's are excellent through this thing.
With subwoofer's providing most of the bass nowaday's, I just wish Boston would expand on the # of tweeter's and mid driver's they put in each speaker.But, it does a very good job indeed. I'm alway's amazed at the sound quality that Boston's put out with even one speaker, like in my Receptor Radio. This center is well worth the money, especially if you like the Boston Sound. Clear and Bright is especially what you want in a center speaker.

Purchased At:   Magnolia Hi Fi