Boston Acoustics VR 920 Center Channels

4.73/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

Center Channel Recommended Amplifier Power 15-250 watts Nominal Impedance 8 ohms Frequency Response (3dB) 55-22,000Hz Bass Unit Dual 5-1/4 x 7-1/2" (135x191mm) Crossover Frequency 300, 2700Hz

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have owned the 920 for about 2 years now and I have to say this is one great center speaker. I have it running with the VR 975 Lynfields which are very good speakers to.If you are thinking of getting this center stop thinking and go get this one while you can. Boston is the best speaker around period.

Purchased At:   Sound Systems

Submitted by rbneron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
If you have VR mains, RUN to the nearest store to pick this up. Awesome! A local dealer that rhymes with sweeter is currently selling it for less than $400 NEW (I paid this much used).

Replaced my previous HD424. Obviously, this is a much larger (and more expensive) speaker, but you get what you pay for. The clarity is astounding. You'll notice a big difference among shows in terms of attention to audio quality.

Using with VR950 mains; matches very well acoustically and visually (actually taller than the 950's are wide).

Purchased At:   E-bay

Submitted by pengels a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
I drive the 920 with a Yamaha VX995 5X100w receiver. When I can afford high end separates I'll see what that does for the 920. While I shopped for the 920 I used a Mirage m290i bookshelf for a center. No surprise, the 920 blew that setup away as much as the Mirage smoked the crappy built-in TV speakers. My wife who hates all electronics and the boxes they come in busted my chops for the price I paid for the 920 which to any red-blooded male is infinitely more useful money than what my beloved spends on jewelry which doesn't get any more useless. Even she was stunned by the sound of the 920. A nice test is the opening dialogue in Lord of the Rings by the ethereal female voice of Arwen the Elven princess. It will goose-bump the nape of your neck, it sounds so awesome. Like a 3-D imaged sound effect with presence like she's in the room. Also try the classic lobby battle scene from Matrix. The clinking of brass cartridges on the marble floor and the metallic clacking of the slide being jacked on the 12-guage shotgun is absolutely and totally REAL. This baby is the last component I will upgrade, if ever.

Purchased At:   Kromer Radio

Submitted by Alexander a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
The center channel is the speaker that is most solicited in a home theater setup. That is why I opted for the Boston VR-920. It is suited to match television sets 32 inches and above. I found this speaker to sound very straight forward and clear. Voices are crisp and rich, with a good amount of detail..

Purchased At:   Private sale, used

Submitted by Nomann a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
Baught it to replace a Boston micro 90c that now goes to my second setup.

What to say? It does what it is supposed to do. Clear dialog, good overall sound.