B&W Nautilus HTM1 Center Channels

4.96/5 (25 Reviews) MSRP : $2000.00

Vented 3-Way Center Channel Speaker - (2) 6.5" Woofers, 6.5" Mid and 1" Tweeter

Submitted by John a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2013

Bottom Line:
I use the HTM1as a center channel with Wilson Watt Puppy 7's and have been very happy with its performance in my 5 channel system driven by a Plinius Odeon amplifier which puts out 200 watts per channel into all 5 channels @ 8ohms. Dialog is very clear and precise thru the center channel and there is no "congestion" during loud playing no matter the sound levels we play the system at. Its also very musical when we listen to Blu Ray or DVD concerts played in 5.1. Buy one, you'll be very happy you did.

Submitted by George a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2012

Bottom Line:
You Ain't heard nothing until you listen to Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors" in DVD-Audio with high-end amplification and B&W Nautilus 800's and HTM1 Center Channel. You just sit there with your jaw on the ground thinking that you're not believing your own ears.

As for movies, the true test for any center channel speaker is the quality of the male voice. Well, the HTM1 is the only center channel I've ever heard that doesn't make a deep male voice sound overly chesty -- like it's coming out of a empty coffee can or something. The voices are clear and correct. The HTM1 is a lifetime investment in audio enjoyment -- you will never need to upgrade uless you're an audio fanantic that can never be satisified. For most of us, the HTM1 is the last center channel speaker we'lll every buy.

Submitted by sol_kanar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have had the HTM1 in my possession for 2 months now and everything about it is absolutely excellent. The midrange is very articulate, has terrific imaging, and an enveloping soundstage.

Like the midrange, the tweeter is equally as proficient. The only negative comment however is that it can be a tinge bright at times, but my conjecture is this is an engineering choice because typically vocals are favored to be more _forward_ sounding, especially in the home theater environment.

The rest of the sonics are very impressive. The bass develops very nicely, and it's particularly picky in terms of listenning room dimensions. The entire ensemble of the sound is very captivating and does give the feeling of true soundstage. I had a friend audition the htm1 along with the N805's with Dave Matthew's "Crash" album and he said he could almost reach out and touch each of the artists. At the conclusion of the CD he was in utter awe.

Particular pieces that stood out were tracks 5 (#41) and 8 (Let you down). Each individual strum of the song "Let You Down" could be heard with absolute clarity. The drum beats were tight and the subsequent decays were present with delicate detail. In my mind, I essentially, with the help of the Nautilus HTM1's and 805's, was able to rediscover the Crash album.

After finishing the brief audition my friend commented on the uncanny ability of the HTM1 to sound so warm and broad while maintaining excellent imaging. Typically characterists such as the above formentioned are trades made during the design and engineering process. It's uncanny how B&W were able to find an optimum, at least in my opinion, maximum in which _both_ qualities could be achieve without much sacrifice.

Another great benefit of the HTM1 is that it shares the same tweeter with as the 803, 804, and 805 (maybe the same as the rest as well, but i'm sure about the ones i mentioned). This means superb timber matching throughout the entire Nautilus line of speakers. Currently in my 805 HTM1 setup, I am witnessing this. I do not recognize a deficiency in sound when effects or passages pan across my three front speakers. I will soon be aquiring the N803's and I am eager, and hope that this property will remain true.

Overall, the HTM1 speaker is an awesome investment for people who enjoy hometheater and 5 channel surround music. I highly recommend this speaker for its great soundstaging, imaging, detail, warmth, and compatibility.

Purchased At:   sound factor, CA

Submitted by bcins a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
This has to be The Best center channel made that I have ever seen, heard or heard of period, end of story. This thing will throw a voice from a good DVD in DTS straight through you !!

System:

Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Amp
Sunfire Theatre Grand III Processor
Pioneer Elite DV47ai DVD/CD player
Fujitsu 50pxha10us Plasma
B&W Sig 7se front & rears
B&W Nautilus HTM1 center
Sunfire True Sub Signature

Don't waste your time on cheap imitators. Save yourself some time and energy and just save until you can afford this speaker. I got lucky to pick up a floor model for less than the typical $2,000 retail tag.

Purchased At:   Wilshire Home Theatr

Submitted by willmsn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
Holy cow!! Run don't walk to purchase this speaker. If you have any of the nautilus speakers, this center channel is absolutely without a doubt the best. I have used the HTM2, CDMNT, and the CDMCE long ago. All of these different speakers went through sale after sale. I continually upgraded from one to the next. The quest is over. I'm no millionaire or fancy smancy I probably make less than most anybody who will ever read this review but its almost impossible to say that this speaker is not worth the price of admission. This hobby becomes so addicting that if you buy quality speakers you can easily sell them and continue to upgrade over the years. I went through three sets of speakers in two years and it was worth it. There is more than 10 times the detail locked up inside of DVDs and the software that you purchased and I guarantee your missing out on it without this thing in your house. Just think that big huge thing is sitting on top of your TV. Man power!! For example in the movie T2 arnold is shooting a gattling gun at the police located down below. With all the shooting, explosions and utter chaos going on, you can CLEARLY hear the rotation of the gattling guns barrel. This sound was not even present when I had the HTM2. If this is the kind of thing that gets your pantys in a wad than this is the speaker for you. The speaker in no way sounds like a speaker. It will utterly dissappear in the room. If you turn off all of your other speakers and just listen to the center, you can still be fooled into thinking more speakers are running. The imaging is dead on. Its that good. One more note heres my system and don't waste your money on the HTM2 it does no justice to your sonic quest, the holy grail is at your b&w dealer:
ROTEL RMB 985 AMP
SUNFIRE TG2 processor
N803's up front
HTM1 (this thing is huge!)
SONY SACD PLYR
TOSHIBA DVD
SONY HDTV
PROBABLY THE CHEAPEST SPEAKERS B&W MAKES USED AS SURROUNDS
PHILLIPS TIVO DSS
* I gave this speaker four stars for value because 2 grand is 2 grand. Don't purchase this speaker if you have a reciever because even I'm on the limits of not having enough power to run the speaker the way the designers intended. Its like having a porsche and running it with diesel fuel. Buy some used seperates if your stretched, it'll cost you the same as the reciever

Price Paid:    $2000.00