B&W LCR600 S3 Center Channels

4.71/5 (21 Reviews)

This is the larger of the two LCR (Left, Centre, Right) models in the range and its greater volume and larger drivers make it more suitable to partner the larger models in the range – DM603 S3 and DM604 S3 – as a centre speaker.

Like the LCR60 S3, the ability to use the LCR600 S3 in either horizontal (more usual in the centre position) or vertical orientation, together with its magnetic shielding, makes it an extremely versatile speaker. This is especially relevant when considering the practical problems of successfully accommodating five speakers in a domestic home theatre installation.

Most LCR systems will be used for enjoying movies. However, all B&W speakers have a long design heritage rooted in the high quality reproduction of music and our LCR models are no exception to this design philosophy.

Submitted by dkbohn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2009

Bottom Line:
Got a great price on these from Soundhounds

Just like many others I found that these speakers to be very nice. In the beginning I thought they were a little better than pretty good, but after a little break-in period they started to sound better, shortly after that I BI-AMPED them and thats when they really came alive, I'm telling you a huge difference. Before I Bi-amped them I would have said a solid 7/10, but after I must say 9/10 for sure.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by sactohye a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2005

Bottom Line:
The B&W LCR600 is currently being driven by a Sherwood Newcastle R-725 receiver. It makes up the center speaker in my home cinema system along with the DB604S3 for the left and right channel, DM602S3 for the rear and an ASW650 subwoofer.

The LCR600S3 sits perched atop a Mitsubishi WT-42315 RPTV. Straight out of the box, male voices tended to sound a bit bass-heavy, so I set the Center Speaker to Small in the decoder’s setup and put the foam plug supplied with the loudspeaker in the port. This took some of the bass away from male voices so that they now sound more natural. This loudspeaker has a rear-firing port, which might account for this phenomenon. Higher frequency sounds are clean and clear. The sound from this loudspeaker is excellent no matter how loud it’s played. I have never heard any distortion or breakup from it, even at uncomfortably loud levels.

With all the technology and quality built into this loudspeaker, it’s surprising it doesn’t cost more than it does. After four months of listening to it, I can find no weaknesses. The LCR600S3 is an excellent value and is hard to beat.

Purchased At:   Audio/FX, Sacramento

Submitted by smokehouse a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought this to replace a LCR6 S2 speaker. First off I must say that to my ear, there is little to no difference between the two other than looks. The highs, mids and bass are equally as defined after the initial break in period. Not unlike many other well-made speakers the LCR600 requires good equipment. This is not a weakness, but it is a requirement. Every time I upgrade this speaker sounds better. Not just better, MUCH better. A few years ago I upgraded to better cables (ok, I know some don’t buy into this so just ignore this part if you think it’s bull). That immediately brought more detail, especially in the highs. Highly recommended (I went with Straightwire Octave).

The big changes however came when I replaced my Marantz SR-7400 with a Rotel RMB-1075 5ch amplifier (used the Marantz as a pre/pro). This speaker literally came alive. The bass had much more punch, the soundstage opened up and the voices flattened out and instantly became more lifelike. I thought I had it made until ditching the 7400 and replacing it with a Sunfire processor. Every improvement added by the Rotel was doubled and then some. Every time I upgrade my stuff this speaker just gets better. I know this guy has a limit and won’t sound better each and every time I upgrade. I strongly doubt this would sound like a Wilson center if running off a $25,000 amp but it’s are absolutely worth every penny and then some.

I would describe this speaker as warm and inviting. The tweeter is absolutely amazing and produces some of the sharpest highs I’ve heard in a speaker of this class. Man, I love those Kevlar mids as well. As a center this is easily one of the best I’ve heard anywhere close to $500, heck it out performs many $1000 center channel speakers as well. Absolutely blows away the CC6 S2 and LCR60, well worth the extra $$.

One last thing, beware the size and weight of this thing! I have mine on a Lovan stand in front of my Hitachi RPTV. I strongly doubt it would be smart to place thing on top of my set let alone many other TV sets.

Purchased At:   B&W Dealership

Submitted by Tone a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
This review is actually for B&W's S2 model of this exact same speaker called the LCR6.

Okay, I was in the market for a B&W LCR600 S3 and lucked out to find a used mint condition predecesor LCR6 S2. I had just hooked up the newly acquired B&W LCR6 to my right stereo channnel and played Rush's Tom Saywer, then look over with wide eyes at Michelle (total babe girlfriend). As I pan the balance left and right to the sweeet-sounding Mission 764 tower and then to the LCR6 she confirms immediately that the B&W sounds way better....and that I'm "NOT EVEN TO THINK ABOUT UPGRADING TO MORE OF THESE EXPENSIVE SPEAKERS!!" Enough said??

I'm not into $30,000 stereos, but I am into $7,000 ones, and have been for 2 decades - even my $7,000 car stereo has a JMLAb front end in the form of high end component Focals. So take it from someone who is probably right for your price range (considering you are looking at this regularly $750 Canadian priced Center Channel and not a $2,500 one) - this speaker sounds warm, clear, sweet and makes me want to turn that sweetness up more and more. I detected no harshness whatsoever in 2 channel stereo mode, and expect the same once I integrate it into my surround system.

As expected, at 89db and 8ohms the B&W seems to require ample amounts of clean power, but what a payoff in sound quality. From this experience I may soon end up uprading everything to this next level of B&W speakers.

Note: I purchased this unit used so it was probably broken in upon arrival - from the other reviews I suspect this is an important thing to remember if you are buying one of these or a LCR600 S3.

Purchased At:   Sounds of Music

Submitted by andrewdavis10 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have read other reviews about this speaker stating that it is a bit 'woofy' 'huffy' or over-large and chest in the tenor range of speech. I have to agree perfectly...at first. This is a thouroughly capable and nuanced speaker that takes a long time to break in. Given a f3ew months of regular use, the mid-tenor range evens out, and this speaker goes from a good speaker to a greak speaker.

Purchased At:   Soundscape, Baltimor

B&W 603 S3/LCR600 vs. Infinity Kappa 600/Kappa Center

My search for speakers has finally been whittled down to 2 configs. In my title line I mention fronts and centers, but I intend to buy a full set for a 7.1 system (full set o'Kappas or full set o'B&W series 3's. I like what the B&W's do with midrange, and I *love* the Kappa tweeters. Can anyone g ... Read More »