Ascend Acoustics CMT-340c Center Channels

4.64/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $298.00

High efficiency rear ported design with advanced crossover featuring EXBAC technology. Dual 6.5" Aerogel woofers with phase plugs and 1" wide dispersion soft dome tweeter. Response 55hz - 20khz +/- 3db, sensitivity 92dB, 8 ohm nominal. Weight = 20lbs each

Submitted by alfmeister a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2006

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a center channel speaker to match the dispersion of my Ohm 4XO speakers. Most center channel speakers just can't keep up with the Ohm's and so over the years I resisted adding a center speaker. I decided after reading the reviews and with a 30 day money back guarantee I should try this speaker. I was immediately impressed with the wide dispersion pattern and the deep bass that the large cabinet provides. The Audax aerogel drivers are excellent. The audax tweeter with the wide dispersion faceplate seamlessly integrates with the wide dispersion pattern of the OHM 4XO's and is also a good tonal match for the Lancer LE-50 surround speakers which also use Audax drivers. I highly recommend this center speaker. Using a center with smaller woofers means that it won't sound very good with music and that was what I was looking for; a center channel speaker that sounds like it's part of the orchestra instead of a one man band.

Purchased At:   Factory direct

Submitted by jimjazz a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2005

Bottom Line:
After reading the hype on this speaker, and others from Ascend, I ordered a set from the factory direct program. In 3 months of trying 2 different receivers and not being able to get the type of dynamics needed, I sold the system.

Dialogue never made you feel like the actor was in the room. Turning up the volume was no help. The Psb C-6 is far better than is this center.

Purchased At:   Ascend

Submitted by Tinear a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2005

Bottom Line:
This speaker was purchased along with a pair of CBM-170s to be used in a dedicated movie/recording studio. The speakers arrived promptly, well packed and in excellent condition. They were positioned with the 170s right and left with the 340c placed under a projection screen about 2 feet above the floor on a small stand focused toward the listener. After about a 24 hour break-in I gave them a serious listen. These speakers demonstrated a wonderful accuracy with voices, in particular, sounding very natural. The 170s really disappeared throwing a large (for such a small speaker)image slightly behind and against the front wall where the screen is mounted. The 340c, while exhibiting the same accuracy, seem to contain the image more with the sound coming more directly from the cabinet. (I'm told the 340c uses a different crossover than the 340m and, therefore, the latter is a speaker I have not heard.) It might be the confinement of the sound I heard from the 340c could be due its' location in my studio though I did try it in my bedroom system with similar results. Consequently, I returned the 340c but kept the 170s and later was given a prompt refund. Ascend Acoustics is an excellent company that makes some of the best small speakers available right here in America.

Purchased At:   Ascend Acoustics

Submitted by jehagain a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2005

Bottom Line:
All of my speakers are mismatched and low quality so I carefully chose Ascend to replace everything with. I can only afford to buy one piece at a time so I started with the center channel CMT-340. Ascend shipped my order immediately and the speaker was packaged very well and double-boxed. I wasn't expected such a large box to arrive at my door. The speaker itself was a lot larger and heavier than what I am used to. It really dwarfs my cheap Sony center. It's build appears to be high quality. I like the fact that it's just plain black because when I'm watching a movie I don't want any distractions. I don't even want to see the speakers. So the way it looks is perfect for me. It is the first center I've seen with a port on it. Again, I'm just not used to speakers in this league. Now the Ascend center by itself, amongst all the cheap Sony speakers, still made a huge difference in the overall sound of my home theater. The dialogue was so clear and detailed. And there's actually some bass coming from the Ascend center, something I'm not used to. I started hearing things in movies I haven't heard before. There was one scene that had a song playing in the background that I just realized was there, and I've seen the movie several times already. I'm greatly looking foreward to purchasing the rest of my Ascend speakers.

Purchased At:   www.ascendacoustics.

Submitted by rd51 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
A lot of research went into my decision to purchase these. I have Been looking for main speakers for a over a year. It first began once I purchased a Cambridge Soundworks mc500 center channel and found a substantial amount of midrange detail that was missing in my monster Cerwin Vega at-15 mains. My search was on.

I spent quite a bit of time studying DIY speaker projects and learned quite a bit about crossovers,cabinet volume, ported Vs unported, etc... This is one reason I looked at Ascend. But that puny little cbm-170 did not meet the testosterone quota for me. No substitute for cubic inches. I want audiophile sound with a speaker display that makes me salivate. You wont find that much with the 340 cause its a black box. But it does sound wonderful. I purchased the 340 pair with stands special they have running for $598. and what a steal! I took special attention while unpacking and said to myself "this is basically done as best it can be while maintaning this price point." So whine all you want and then try to build a better cheaper product.

I had them dropshipped to work so I could break them in and also since I am saving up for dual SVS subs I want to add to to this combo.

No point in bringing them home yet so I hooked them up at work with an ancient Sony stereo reciever an Onkyo cd player and crappy speaker wire. That didnt matter, they are still magical.

I cannot wait to hook them up to a quality amp and processor.

At first they sounded bright but only needed a touch of treble ajdustment and some adjustment in my brain to the new level of detail. I have had a few experiences visiting snooty audiophile stores that once the tubes were warmed up I heard bliss. You know when sound floats invisibly in front of you. These speakers came much closer to that than anything else I own. Another observation was when I barely touched the mid bass drivers they would move very easily. Very responsive.

Now that I have listened to these for over 10 hours I find I cant wait to pop in the next cd.

I am discovering things I have never heard before in my collection. At work I am using an Infinity Hts-20 sub (POS) that really has no business with music however the 340’s have such a perfect rolloff that I could turn the sub down to where it just creates that sound pressure thump to fill in. The 340’s handle all of the midbass that music requires the rest is just pumping air. At first I listened to “masters of acoustic guitar” and these provide plenty of thumb WHAP without a sub.
I have a pair of comparably priced Polk Audio RTI-38’s that I sampled as mains before turning them into surround speakers for my home theater and there is no comparison with the 340’s in just about every aspect. When I am finished I plan to blend these with a pair of SVS 20-39pc+ and I’ll be done for a little while.
Bottom line is you CANNOT beat this deal in sound quality VS cost. You guys at Ascend need to keep this little jewel available and start on something that can compete with Rocket and Swan cabinet finishes even if it cost’s more I don’t think it will matter.

Purchased At:   ascend.com