Aerial Acoustics Model CC3 Center Channels

4.67/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $1400.00

Center Channel Speaker

Submitted by Thomas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
I own the CC3B version which is just under 9" high and 12.5" deep (narrower and deeper then the original), and with crossover modifications to improve the openess of the midrange. It also weighs more and is rated at 50hz +/- 2db vs. 55hz for the original CC3. The drivers and environment controls remain the same.

A few months ago I separated my HT system from my music system which resulted in selling my Thiel MCS1 center channel I was using with a pair of Thiel CS7.2s. Well, not one of my better decisions as it turned out. Without going into all the details I have begun to rebuild the original system for music and HT. The center channel was the first place to start. The Thiel MCS1 is expensive at 2200$, so I gave the 1500$ Aerial CC3B a trial. As it turns out the CC3B works exceptionally well with my Thiel CS7.2s. The Thiel MCS1 shares the same 'house' sound of my 7.2s but is a little laid back and doesn't match the punch of the 7.2s. No problem with the Aerial CC3B, it can easily match the 7.2's punch and dynamics, and always seems at ease doing so. I have an LCD projector and mount my center below the screen. The 7.2s are tall speakers, and the difference in heighth was noticeable with the MCS1 as sounds panned across the screen. The CC3B's vertical dispersion is excellent and fills in the soundfield between the Thiels for a seamless blending effect. The horizontal dispersion is excellent as well. Overall the CC3B dissapears more convincingly then the MCS1 did. While 1500$ isn't cheap I think the CC3B offers great value in return for it's performance and should be considered for any non-Aerial HT setup. It is neutral enough to blend with most accurate and neutral L/R speakers. You may find that the CC3B outperforms the same brand center for your mains.

Submitted by WT a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
In my pursuit of the perfect center channel I decided to try the Aerial CC3 as I had heard many positive comments on it from various audio dealers. The speaker comes in a HUGE box and it is WELL packaged. I have never seen such a beautiful well build speaker. It is extremely heavy for a center channel - it's built like a tank. However, this build also ensures there is no sound loss - all the sound goes out the front like it's suppossed to. This speaker has the best dispersion of any center channel I've listened to as well. The sound just fills the room. I have the speaker matched to a pair of M&K S150-THX speakers until I can afford a pair of 10Ts. I must say that this combination sounds fantastic as the M&K are some of the most detailed speakers I've ever heard - this combination sounds BETTER than a movie theater! The CC3 is power hungry and requires some good clean power. I'm currently using an Acurus A200X3 but want to upgrade to a Classe CAV150 as I've heard that's what Mike Kelly (owner of Aerial) uses and recommends. The CC3 does sound a little boxy on some soundtracks. I can't determine if it's the soundtrack, the amp, or the speaker. I want to purchase a Martin Logan Cinema center channel to compare against. I've been told that the Martin Logan sounds even better than the CC3 - anyone have any experience with that? In closing, the Aerial is the BEST center channel I've heard so far. If you want the Best sounding center channel, the best built speaker, and you have the power to feed it - then GET THIS SPEAKER! I give it 5 stars as the overall rating and 4 stars for the value rating (since it is the most expensive center channel I know of $1,500).

Submitted by Bob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
Top rated center channel on the market. Great with movies and DTS music videos. Never draws attention to itself and blends in well with front speakers. Dialogue is extremely clear. Mike Kelly (the owner of Aerial) is great to deal with and very generous with his time to help with any questions.

Submitted by Greg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
Most of the other reviews on this thread are not for Aerials - they are for small B&W CC3. Beware!

I owned 5 other CC speakers before thse, trying to find a good match for the Waveform Mach 17's, but capable of more dynamics than Waveform's small MC speaker.

The CC3 is a class act with tremendous dynamics and yet retaining the precision and refinement of a high end speaker. The best CC I have heard!

Submitted by RH a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 3, 1999

Bottom Line:
This is the best center channel I have ever heard that is able to perform even in the highest caliber systems. I am sure that there are a lot of people using this center channel with other L & R speakers. This is the only center channel along with the Aerial surrounds (SR3's) that have received the AAA rating in Stereophile's Guide to Home Theater. I is a three way design with four drivers. This allows for greater dynamics and wider horizontal dispersion that a lot of other designs. It is extremely well braced and very dynamic. The only center speaker that I know of that doesn't have a maximum wattage rating for driving it. It is neutral and reveals whatever is on the recording/movie whether good or bad. I can sit any where on my couch and not be bothered by a lack of dispersion. Most center channels require a pretty close sweet spot to perform their best. This center channel was so good that it even got reviewed in Stereophile magazine which is purely audio. What makes this center channel more of a great value even at $1,400, is the fact that it has two controls on the back of the speaker. An environment switch that be turned to one of three positions (on top a tv, in a wall or on a stand). It takes into account how the different boundaries are going to effect its sound and compensates for it. The other switch is for sound track emphasis in the vocal reproduction. Aerial knew that a lot of dolby digital movies are over done especially in the vocals which creates a bright sound. This switch allows three setting which will determine the vocal reproduction (0 setting for normal or no attenuation, - for a slight reduction and -- for a larger reduction). This center channel is very dynamic with no port. Their is no lower midrange bass emphasis like a lot of center channel speakers which make female/male vocal chesty sounding. Whatever the voice, it sounds just like it should. I know it is expensive but you won't have buyer's remorse afterwards. It will just draw you into the film and let you stop listening to the speaker. Isn't that the purpose of a great center channel speaker. You don't even know that the voices are coming from a speaker. It is so good that it makes my 35" seem to small. The voices are so natural and the speaker so dynamic that it seems to cry out for a large cinema screen to match.
Easily a five star speaker! Watch out, it may embarrass a lot of L & R speakers in the process.

Regards,