Yamaha NS-A836 Bookshelf Speakers

2.33/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $300.00

Speakers with 12" woofer

Submitted by Marv a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
First off let me state by saying that I purchased a pair of these speakers at Sears for $70. The sign stated $70 however it was not clear on whether that price was for the pair or each. Speakers that were price each had "each" on them. To make a long story short. I purchased, recieved one, went back up stairs, made "a bunch of noise" truth in advertising, bait and switch, sears used to be honorable...blah blah blah. Recieved pair for $70.

Now that being said. After paying 70 for the pair I still don't have that "wow I got over" feeling. I feel I pretty much got what I paid for and would probably have been making a return trip if I were to have paid more.

I don't understand how a speaker that size could not have ported. Sure it's technically a bookshelf but come on. My "bookshelves" are on 12" stands. I'm really not a Yamaha fan and this proves why.

When compared to my 12 year old jbl l80t there is none! jbl has more air more bass more mid more stage more depth more .....the list goes on. My jbl had 10" drivers vs 12" on the yamaha. I guess size really doesn't matter (to a point). These jbl's are the pre-crap stage of jbl when they used to make REAL speakers instead of whatever you want to call those boxes they have out now

If I could find a replacement woofer for my 12 year jbl's I would have them in operation right now. My idiot cousin blew one woofer.

These speakers were purchased as a stop-gap measure until I could get what I want. As much as I miss my jbl's I also missed listening to things in stereo. One speaker wasnt going to cut. Especially when it comes to HT.

I like that they are rated to handle the wattage of my amp (200wpc) but they seem like they don't know what to do with that wattage.

My system:
Jbl studio monitor rear

Purchased At:   sears

Submitted by Ken a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have to agree with Russ. These are not "so-called" top of the line speakers. But, in their category they are excellent speakers and a great value. I have made a personal commitment to Yamaha products from this point (I previously preferred Fisher) and will buy more Yamaha products.

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by Russ a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had these speakers for three or four years and don't believe the bad things people are saying about them. For the price, these speakers are a great buy. I have them hooked up to an Onkyo receiver and they sound really good(althought I do have a small sub too) for such a low cost. They have good accoustics and can handle a lot of power(I have actually used them to DJ small parties). I don't ever regret buying these, because I couldn't really afford much more at the time. So basically they are a great value for your money and a pretty good quality speaker. I paid $200 for the pair at that time.

Submitted by Colin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
It produce too much bass even in my large carpeted living room. I place the speaker upside down to move the woofer aways from the floor to make it work. They are to big to place on speaker stands.

But they work great for music that has a lot of bass, like Enya's CD.

Submitted by Yong Chae a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
I think I paid $200 for these when I got them a few years back. I use them in a spare bedroom so I don't listen to them that often. These are crappy speakers in a nutshell. I would not buy these again. I use something called a BBE Sonic Maximizer to process the signal and it makes a huge difference. It adds more bass, clarity and punch. Without the Maximizer the speaker sounds like you're wearing earmuffs while listening. Just my $.02.