Yamaha NS-6490 Bookshelf Speakers

4.44/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $111.80

The NS6490 3-way bookshelf speaker from Yamaha is especially designed for use in a Home Theater. Magnetically shielded to protect your TVs picture, the solid black cabinet houses 7/8-inch tweeter for clean highs well above the range of most similar speakers, a 4-inch midrange driver for well-defined dialogue and voice and an 8-inch woofer for dynamic, forceful lows. The speaker terminals are gold plated and banana plug compatible. Plus, you dont need a huge, expensive amplifier to power these sp
  • 3-Way Acoustic Suspension Design with Magnetic Shielding
  • 8"(20cm) High Compliance, Silver Metal-Like, Long-Throw
  • Cone Woofer with Cloth Surround and Inverted Dust Cover
  • 4"(10cm) Ferro-Fluid Cooled, Silver Metal-Like Cone Midrange
  • Driver with Inverted Dust Cover
  • 7/8"(2.2cm) Ferro-Fluid Cooled Balanced-Dome Tweeter

Submitted by Alex a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2010

Bottom Line:
Beautiful looking speakers but comes with many audible problems like: fake bass sound, too much treble and lacks mid range sound! They're good looking but disappointing in sound performance.
I like to listen to smooth jazz, but not on these speakers, I feel like smashing them with a sledge hammer!
And if you ever think of playing latin or reggae music on these speakers, guess what? They will sound like it's coming out of a toilet!!! Listen to my wise advice, save your money and buy something else!

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by D.G. a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
Beautiful speaker with amazing clarity for the price. A bit on the large size for a bookshelf though.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by herschelrj a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
Got a great deal on these. Since they are being discontinued, they were on sale. When the guy told me $19, I thought apiece. Was I wrong!!! It was for the pair. I have several sets of lower end speakers. I am on constant watch for the best sound at the best price. One day I will be able to afford the Martin-Logans or other high ends. But this was a great deal. I have some 201's that I was using as my fronts in my HTS and some 141's as surrounds. I used the NS 6490's as my front B speakers for a while and they sound great. Really nice highs and mids. I have a sub so that takes care of all my bass. Well as a true enthusiast, I have tried several different setups. The one I am settling on for now is the NS 6490 as my fronts and the 201's as surrounds and the 141's go in the pile with the KLH's ans Sony's that I don't use. I will probably set up another HTS in my bedroom if I can convince the wife, who is wonderful and has put up with my constant need for the perfect sound and system. Right now, these speakers rock. Just happened to be at the right place at the right time. Totally get my recommendation!!! Try the Santana 5.1 DVD and get blown away.

Purchased At:   Fry's

Submitted by C4103 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have used these speakers for just about a year. They are amazing. You can not go wrong with these speakers for 50 a pair. There is no comparison to anything else this price. The highs are very very crisp, and the bass is very punchy. It seems to lack in the midrange at sometimes, and there seems to be this one note that the woofers hit sometimes that really sounds a lot louder than other frequencies, but I may just be imagining things.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by yfei a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2004

Bottom Line:
They are unbelievable speakers for the price! First need to say is sound stage and imaging. The sound stage is very wide open, seems not limited by anything. And 3D imaging is excellent! Better than any speakers I have had, including B&W 602S3 ($700) and 601S2($400).
The highs is accurate and airy, not any irretating. Everyone came to my home listened to these speakers are amazed by the highs. Mid is lacked when just out of the box, and paper sounding, but after months of break in, the mid becomes warm and natural. But still a little lacked, maybe need more break in or mod. The bass goes low after break in, but still slightly lacked. But over all sound is very natural and covers all frequencies, from this aspect it win again over all speakers I have had. Only weakness is mid range prominence and low strength.
Over all, these are the best speaker under $300. I will sell my B&W 602S3 soon and keep these speakers. Looking for mod to improve mids.

CDP Marantz CD17 MKII