Usher S-520 Bookshelf Speakers

• Dimensions(wxdxh):18cmx25cmx30cm

Submitted by Gavin Sherlock a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2012

Bottom Line:
Strengths

Good Tonal balance with well integrated drivers. Excellent imaging and sound staging. Good levels of treble detail. Great Build quality.

Weakness

Treble can be a little too forward in the wrong system. Midrange tends to be a little bleached in quality, not as rich.

Bottom Line

I bought these to rotate with in my system with other mini monitors such as Proac, Spendor,
Epos and Wharfedale as I enjoy the different sound each speaker imparts. In isolation this is a superb sounding speaker with a fast lively sound and adequate bass for its size. Its only when you compare the with other (usually more expensive) designs that you can hear that they don't have a particularly rich sounding midrange. In the context of budget speakers they are very good with a generally attractive character, nothing stands out as being wrong, imaging and sound staging are probably class leading. Vocals have good projection but not sufficient body or weight and this is down to the midrange again. Still my criticism is in the context of my other monitors I own and I still enjoy the sound they produce, if you don't have anything to compare with you probably wouldn't be any the wiser as to what is missing.

Submitted by Alexander Hughes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2012

Bottom Line:
I heard these at a friends and could not believe there small size for the sound I was hearing.

I had some ageing Tannoys so needed to improve and just did not like the spendors I had trialled from HFC

I brought a stunning yellow pair that cannot be missed visually and sonic-ally have just left me amazed. yes they need good equipment to work I use Black Rhgodium Salsa BiWire and they are bi amped but its worth it as they have two separate crossovers, My Tannoys had bi wire terminals that were wired together on the inside, (go figure).

I have lived with them now for 3 years and would not be parted from them, the bass is superb and Foobar with its EQ active you can extend the bass by a few hz lower and the speakers stays alive. Used in a bookshelf they sound amazing. I have had them on stands but silver didn't work. i actually think they sound better in the bookshelves.

The treble is superb with no sibilance at all, and the sound is very smooth, Imaging is superb far wider than my old Tannoys and they give excellent depth of vinyl as well

Other kit i have owned or still own:

Tannoy 603-II
B&W 685
Misson ??? to long ago ather bright
Kef ?? again too long ago very bassy I remember and superb with rock.
Usher Be718 DMD - stunning

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Stliong a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2009

Bottom Line:
Honestly, I bought this new based on the glowing reviews and found that it may not be up to my taste. The S-520 certainly has strong positives such as realistic imaging and clarity especially with solo instruments, but the brass needs more sparkle to sound realistic. The vocal also sound a bit thin unless it is paired with a real full sounding set of equipments. So it's a very focused speaker that can do most things at an acceptable level but to be as good as what the reviews said you need to pair these with some serious high end equipments and even then they'll sound excellent with certain types of music only. In the end you'll end up with a much more expensive amp and player than the speakers themselves. If I had to go back, I'd go straight to the PSB Alpha B1 that's much more flexible and has way better midrange. Though the highs on the Usher seems a bit more transparent.

Product model year:   2008

Purchased At:   Authorized Dealer

Submitted by jlehto a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers off ebay more less for something to do. I have a pair of B&W cdm2 speakers I like. along with a pair energy 2.1e speakers I use sometimes just for something different to listen to. I mostly use the speakers for mixing and listening to mastered tracks that I recrcord with my home studio set up.

I had noticed on one of my tracks I had pro masterd on my brothers system who runs a denon receiver into some paradigm mini monitors V2 that there was just way to much high level background noise. I could here it at home on my B&W speakers that I run with a conrad johnson mf2250 but it never seemed that bad to care.

So, I set out to try and re eq the track myself to lower the treb and not loose the right amout of detail, esay, right ,well not really and it;s even harder when your speakers don't resolve to that level in a way that gives you the right idea of what you need to do.

So listening to my B&Ws I strained my ears to hear what I hear on my bros
paradimgs. after a few ab compairisons a realized the B&W speakers had all the detail and even a bit more but not much it was just more laid back and did not make some of the high level background noise less apparent but just more in the background like is should be.

I bought the ushers because I wanted to see what they had to offer and well I would have to say they don't really stack up to a pair of Paradigm mini monitors at all when it comes to ambiant sound actually they are almost void of it. witch leads me to think that they are almost worthless as a real honest monitor speaker. don't get me wrong they sound great but they are not honest.

I don't know what else to say about these speakes execpt that way back in the day when I just wanted pair of speakers the would make my cds sound good and would not get too bright and beaming a pair of these ushers would have been a god send big time.

However, things have changed for me and I need more than some smooth sounding speakers.

I would call the usher S-520 a stereo speaker made for home audio not monitoring.
I would also recomend them to anyone who wanted their music to sound good all the time and was not in need of objectivity for it's own sake.

I'm actually going to build a system around the ushers for just playing music and movies loud, real loud.

Purchased At:   EBAY FROM USHER USA

Submitted by Derrick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2007

Bottom Line:
The speakers are one of the best sounding speakers in the price range of 400 dollars or less. Currently, they sell for 400 dollars so I have no idea why the reviewer above stated them as expensive. There are numerous brands in the audio world that cost twice as much and do not look or perform on par with the Usher S-520. First, they look fantastic in glass black but are available in red, yellow, white and light-oak. You will not find too many high gloss finish in the $400 range. I love the smaller size and the non obtrusive look. Also, they blend in well with my black Samsung LCD and black racks.

Now, to the sound. The sound is amazing for the size (they sound larger than they really are). Immediately you will notice the detail mids and highs. They are warmly revealing but never harsh compare to Klipsch. Like all bookshelves, bass cannot compare to full standing towers but these smaller monitors hold their own against larger rivals such as B&W 601/600 S3 and even the 602!

I highly recommend these pair to anyone looking for monitors in the $400 range. In fact, these are the best pair at 400 dollars.

Great deal. These are the ultimate 5-star value speakers.

Purchased At:   Dealer