Tube Audio Design Aural Ecstasy TAD-805SD Bookshelf Monitors Bookshelf Speakers

3.67/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $349.00

The new TAD-805SD replaces last years 803SD vinyl bookshelf speakers.
Now made with real wood veneer, much heavier build with improved high tech engineering. No crossover for clarity that rivals speakers costing ten times more.
Perhaps the greatest new bookshelf size speaker out there.
Only sold mail order. Custom stands and matching subs and center channel speakers too.

Submitted by gritzcolin a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2011

Bottom Line:
I got these on sale for $189 I have used them for 3 years now as my Front Surround speakers and I honestly can't say I'd be happier with anything else offered at that price point unless I found some insane deal on some $1000 speakers. I won't say they compare to my Polk LSi 7's because it's clear to me they don't but they blow away Bose 201's or pretty much any speaker in a similar price range. Listening to a SACD of Dark Side of The Moon with these was a wonderful experience, they are very directional though best used in a set up where you aren't moving around a lot and can adjust them to where you sit.

In the end it was worth the money, the build quality is about that of similar Bose products but with much nicer drivers.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Audiobugg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2008

Bottom Line:
I wrote the previous review in Dec. 2007, and at the time of writing came to an unsatisfactory conclusion due to what I heard as a certain harshness to this speakers presentation. Yes, I had broken it in for at least 300 hours, and had tried several different cables, all to no avail. I had long passed the allowable return time, so I moved these speakers to a much used office system. After an additional 300 hours of play time, I could not believe what I was hearing. The harshness I had heard before was gone. Instead I was hearing what I had hoped for when I first decided to buy them; an open, clean, musical sound. It is evident to me that Paul needs to tell all potential buyers to be patient, and not to expect any great shakes out of the box, or even at a few hundred hours. Like a fine wine or cigar these speakers do become much better with age.
These are indeed worth their asking price, and in my opinion now, worth much more. In my experience you would have to spend 3 to 4 times the price to equal them. Their bass response in my system clearly calls for a sub-woofer, but that combo. really allows these speakers to shine.
I still think Paul's return policy is a joke, but I don't believe it will matter if one takes the time to let these speakers "Age." I would not hesitate to buy them again.

Purchased At:   Direct

Submitted by Audiobugg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2007

Bottom Line:
I purchased these speakers based on their very attractive pricing, and the fact that in the past I purchased a pre-amp, and integrated tube amp from Paul, and have been satisfied with each purchase. I'm sorry to say that these speakers did not work for me. I ran the heck out of them to break them in so I could give them a fair chance, but I could never get comfortable with their sound. I listen at somewhat loud levels and there was a strident quality to their presentation that I could not eliminate. I tried a tube integrated amp, as well as a very smooth sounding solid state amp, but no cigar. I tried several types of speaker wires, still not happy. Now please note that the performance of any component is very system, as well as room dependent, and my not liking their sound could be a problem exclusive to my set up, YMMV. I do have to warn potential buyers to beware because while Paul does give a 21 day home trial, it's going to cost you a bunch of bucks if it does not work out for you. The price is $289.99 + 45.00 shipping + another $45.00 to ship them back, and yet another $45.00 "Re-Stocking fee" so you do the math. One last problem; while they are packed very well, mine still had a blem.

Purchased At:   Dealer Direct

Submitted by whiskeytango6 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2007

Bottom Line:
There are things in life that can't be explained, and things that shouldn't be explained......the TAD 805 is just that.......an enigma. This speaker resembles another well know $2500.00 loudspeaker of British make.......sans around $2100.00 of the cost. I ordered direct from the maker, the speaker of course is made in China, which helps to keep costs down........I had 1 or 2 minor flaws in the finish..........BUT! for a $300.00 speaker in high gloss piano black........you can't be picky about finishes.....overall.....a beautifully well done speaker. I ran them in at around 300 hrs. listened during that time with the grill off........yes, it is better........and, looks cool as hell!
The 2 way system is actually crossoverless.........so that the two drivers act as one.......almost in line with a lowther.
The sound produced is captivating........you must run these with an adequate time to break in, until loosened up the sound can be dull, tight, congested.......and then......you can tell!............the sound just opens up like the heavens during a thunderstorm.........so very dramatic.......once again, I believe due to the lack of crossover. Excellent pitch and timbre with a tight and forceful bass........down to a respectable 42hz.
The mids, which is the beating heart of any loudspeaker was indeed beating with grace..........clear, concise; voicing is phenominal.......this is a speaker that should cost $2500.00 but doesn't ! IT SOUNDS LIKE IT, PRODUCES MUSIC LIKE IT, LOOKS LIKE IT......AND BRINGS JOY LIKE IT! For $300.00...............You cannot go wrong!
There is one caveat. During my listening, I picked up on quite a bit of cabinet resonance.........enough to cause a potential problem with coloration to the sound produced. I firmly believe that cabinet resonance is a desired benefit if it is produced in proportion to the sound heard. The louder the speakers played the more resonance was heard and felt! I applied several sheets of lo res to the internals of the cabinets and turned this giant killer in a lo-resonance giant killer. It definately helped in the mids! Resonance can make a speaker sing and adds life; prevents the speaker from turning into a sterile, antiseptic, dull $120,000.00 transducer............you know who.......Don't hesitate to aquire the TAD's.....they are very, very good!

Purchased At:   dealer direct

Submitted by Randall Johnson a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
I admit, I was paid to say the review