Totem Acoustic RAINMAKER Bookshelf Speakers

4.5/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

• Borosilicate dampening
  • Full-plane vertical cross brace for extreme rigidity and increased dampening
  • No-compromise drivers, wiring and crossover
  • Impedance 4 ohms minimal

Submitted by Huyanh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2010

Bottom Line:
Before Rainmaker, I used to have some really good speakers such as: Sonus Faber Concerto Home, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Triangle Celius 202 (even the vintage AR3 and Celestion Ditton 33...). To some extend, those speaker did serve me well. Sonus Faber Concerto Home are so musical, but it too sweet; Vienna Acoustic Haydn Grand sound good with classical music but be come harsh with classic jazz, Triangle Celius so good with many type of music but I really dont have much room for them.

Having a chance to audit several Totem top range such as: Mani 2 Sig, Mani 1 Sig, The One anh Forrest... I was impressed by their transparent, clarity, dynamic anh specially musicallity. But the price did not make me supprise. You pay 3.000 - 5.000 usd for these babies to get that good, its's nature. But the Rainmaker knocked me out right away by its performance over the price (950 usd for new pairs)

Neither have the "big sound" as Mani 2 Sig, nor the purity of Mani 1 Sig/The One. But the Rainmaker does reach 70% quality them with the cost of one fifth. Lucky me, I got Rainmaker with an incredible price: 350 usd form my friend (an audio dealer). These tiny baby satisfy my various taste of music: classic jazz, classic & chamber music, classic rock and folk song. In the last five year, I've been playing around with many speakers to find the speaker that featuring: small (I dont have big room), easy loaded (I prefer tube or solid state classA), musical (I need long time fully enjoy with music) and all-around (due to my various music taste)... The speaker quest stopped only I find Rainmaker.

Rainmaker sound very musical, rich, lean to warm side and dynamic. The vocal sound lively, warm, thick with the voice come deep from the singer's chest. Classical music reproduced so life-like: layer to layer, brass, woodwind and string sound so real without being harsh even with high volume at fortissimo section. Classical jazz become easy to enjoy even with trompet, trombone.

I do fall in love with these babies, bravo Totem!

Other equipment in my sytem: Rogue Audio Cronus EL34 tube amplifier, Alchemist Class A amplifier, Music Hall Maverich SACD, Micro Seiki turntable, Transparent Music Wave speaker wire, Jorma Design inter connection.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by bsamwel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought these as a replacement for my pair of Linn Keilidhs, because I couldn't stand the thought of my children being crushed under one of the 40lbs Keilidhs. I put them on a pair of granite slabs, on spikes, just like I did with the Keilidhs. I'm using them with an Arcam Alpha 7SE CD player and an Arcam Apha 8R integrated amplifier.

The general feel of the speakers is very relaxed, they don't tire your ears as much as the Keilidhs do. Like the Keilidhs, these speakers are very good at voices. That's one of the reasons why I chose these speakers. Where the Keilidhs separated the voices from the music, the Rainmakers integrate them, presenting a completely integrated sound. This is a mixed blessing: the Keilidhs were able to give me goosebumps in more cases than the Rainmakers, because I'm very sensitive to voices. But for generic listening and enjoying, the Rainmakers allow for longer listening pleasure. The Keilidhs' strong epmhasis on highs was very good for voice reproduction, and admittedly they have very good detail in the highs, but it did make my ears tired failry quickly.

Overall: good bass reproduction for bookshelf speakers, broad and balanced sound with plenty of detail.

Pros: very balanced sound, does not tire the ears.

Cons: bass very sensitive to distance from wall (due to bass port at the back), I'd advise at least 75cm- 1m distance. Not as engaging as the Linn Keilidhs, I'd go for full-size speakers for those who prefer intense listening sessions. One particular jazz song hit a harmonic frequency that wasn't dampened by the borosilicate.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Ashback a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have these speakers with a Marantz PM7003 and CD5003. The sound is wonderful. I live in Bangkok and it was a rare treat to find these on sale here new. I listen to Classical, jazz, and rock music, and also use them for two channel dvd use. The image is fantastic, the brass is shiny, vocals silky, and sudden percussion really jolts me into listening. Overall, this has got to be the best system I've ever had, and at $2,000 for the lot.

Submitted by Sagarush a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2010

Bottom Line:
After one year of use, I'm really happy with Rainmaker. Great sense of timing, good bass, great image and very musical. Simply, I adore the sound. Very often, you'll be set for many hours in a row with jazz, classical, rock, pop, heavy rock . Good match with Naim. Simaudio and Cambridge Audio like A640V2 with Transparent speakers cables. More than satisfy!!!!

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Teracus7 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a good monitor speaker for my computer to go with my Asus Essence Xonar card and amplifier, and this speaker sure fits the bill !!! It sounds great with all types of music and its a very neutral sounding speaker that has great imaging. I rated this a 5 on value because I got it used for $600.00 shipped and it was in mint condition !!!

Product model year:   2009

Totem Rainmaker vs Mirage Omnisat v2

I have small area next to TV for fronts. Considering Totem Rainmaker or Mirage Omnisat v2. Tying in with home theatre and great musical sound. Which would be better all around for both. I realize I will need a decent sub for either. Any recommendations. Large room 14-18-20tall. I was told that I cou ... Read More »

Totem Sttaf vs Rainmaker

I'm putting together a HT/stereo system, and based on what my local dealer has available, I've narrowed my speakers down to the Totems. I'd like to know if anyone has had experience with or been able to compare the Sttaf's against the Rainmakers. These speakers will most likely be paired with a N ... Read More »

Totem Rainmaker Review.

Had a chance to listen to the Totem Rainmakers the other day and thought i would leave my impressions.I went to a local high end audio dealer to listen to the Linn Katan as i had read many good reviews of this speaker and was curious.I found the Katan to be rather thin sounding,not very full bodied ... Read More »

Totem Rainmaker vs. Studio 20's v.3

Does anyone have any experience listening to the Totem Rainmaker compared to the Paradigm Studio 20 v.3's? My dealer invited me to a head-to-head demo tonight...I'm familiar with the Studio's (own the v.2's) but I've never actually heard anything from Totem yet...he assures me these gorgeous litt ... Read More »