Sonus Faber Concertino Home
Description: System: 9 litres two way system front reflex port. Cabinet: Construction with decoupled side panels for resonance control.

Submitted by pabs911 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2008

Bottom Line:
I purchased these off ebay including the Franklin&Lowell stands Sumiko sells with them. They are quite simply the best speakers I've ever owned. To this point I've only ever used them on my $1000.00 retail Yamaha 5.1 receiver (not the best amp in the world to judge such a speaker by) in an HT setting, but I am none the less astounded! This new version of the Concertino was made to be used in home theater systems as well as two channel ones, and it shows. There is a point during King Kong (HD DVD set to Dolby TruHD) when they first encounter the fog surrounding the island. The captain blows the ship's foghorn and these little speakers give that horn weight, power, dynamism, and reality like no other I've ever heard. A friend of mine has a very expensive Rotel/Def Tech system that at far louder levels simply cannot match the feeling that horn makes on my system with these Concertinos. That foghorn goes to my very core and in so doing immerses me more deeply into the movie. Kong's growls, the Rex's growls and gurggles...EVERYTHING takes on a realism that although dynamic is in no way overdone. That is what is so shocking about these little speakers... whether it's Diana Crall's voice or King Kong's growl, these speakers do it with art, style, and subtle power like nothing I've ever experienced before. Whether you paid retail or 40 cents on the dollar like I did, you cannot go wrong with these speakers. I've heard that many people actually prefer the Concertinos to the larger Concertos (I've never heard those) even though the Concertos go lower, but that is because the smaller speaker has a bit more "art" to everything it does. I can certainly believe it!!! WOW!!!!

By the way, these little piano black speakers are also the most beautiful speakers I've ever owned by far! Gorgeous!

Submitted by muziekfreak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2007

Bottom Line:
The looks

Like every Sonus Faber the looks are just awesome. Nutwood panels with attached to te sides with nice cuppe screws were even the Sonus Faber brand has been engraved/pressed in it. Futhermore the baffle,back even under the speakers you will find a nice leather finish. These speakers look so good!! Very timide in design (not 9 but 10liters cabinets) For sure WAF* approved.

The Concertino stands are just the same. Nutwood sides with a hugh mass (heavy) to ensure that your speakers can lose their aweful cabinet resonanties. Iff their even present without!

Very nice, i loved them from day one for the looks allready,

The Sound

We have tested many speakers, about 15 pair of speakers ive owned a very few were monitors. The infinity QE is one of my best monitors (seen the price) But the Concertino is now my number one for sure. The have a senstivity of 86db. The newer one has 88db. Iv'e read the above review of the man who had them on a tubeamp.

Trust me these babys need to match your set. We have used..

Dynaco st80 power tubeamp (2x40w ultralinear 2x20 triode)
On this amp their very relaxed to listen to, not really like a it should be. The sounded like a speaker that you can listen to for oldies music very nice timide lowregion for such a small speakerssystem. But not my first choice of amp. Seen the fact mine are 86db the need al littel bit more power ot come lose. The Dynaco is capeable to drive speakers that have a 2ohm impedance.

Well i thougt lets try my reference set-up in the livingroom. Put a side my Magnepan mg1 loudspeakers. And hooked the Sonus Faber up to my Mcintosh c26 and Mcintosh MC2105 poweramp 105w per channel. Unbelievable what a detail and pristine sound ! Very nice...very very nice! I was stunned what those little babys can do. Detail beyond believe at ervery volume the keep on sounding awesome. Not harsh sounding or irritating SSS noises when playing on a unreal volume.

Just awesome sounding, a open sound, and real natural response. Voices and guitars sound the best on these speakers just so real. The set-up isw most important you need to find a GOOD match with these Concertinos. Then the will blow you away for their size!

Ive just bought meself a Rel Quake subwoofer to handle the lowest regions that lacks with the speakers. My magnepans mg1 is still standing still (and those huge boys make real music) now you know. How good the really are iff you let a magnepan standing still for it ;-]

We hooked them up to my other poweramp the Audiolab m480, 2x150w @8ohm 4 ohm 340w per channel.
The most powerfull amp i own, the just sounded great to, No problems their a little bit less detail then my beloved Mcintosh (autoformers 10-100khz) But yet still very nice sounding and powerfull sounding. A great soundstage their not for the rockers or livealbum lovers. Iff you buy them be sure that you hook up a nice subwoofer to get that great soundstage. That you want in a live preformance.

Do not ever underestimate the low regions of a loudspeaker. Most people think that the low region of a speaker is not so important in terms of quality. After all under the 100hz or so, you cannot place subtones anymore. That is true but do try with a bi-wire speaker. To leave you woofer off...you will notice that your dynamics are gone!

So important, buy a good sub. And that does'nt have to be a 7000 euro Luna or something. You have good subwoofers for realy low prices now these days. Just try it.

Purchased At:   secondhand

Submitted by mbuc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2006

Bottom Line:
Very nice speakers, perfect built quality. Bass is better than you might think judging from their size. Bass even improves if the speakers are located in the corners of the room. The Concertinos sound nice with standard amplification but the sound improves dramatically if you use a high quality amp. I had best results with a tube preamp and transistor power amp. A tube power amp (Primaluna Prologue Five) sounded awful. If you use a high quality tube preamp even a standard transistor power amp like NAD will do very fine.

Submitted by audio217 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2006

Bottom Line:
The Sonus Faber Concerino speakers are the smaller brother of the the much more expensive Sonus Faber Concerto. They are smaller in size but do not take a back seat to their larger brother in overall audio reproduction. I auditioned both speakers and the Concerto has a deeper bass and does play louder but the overall mid-range presentation of the Concertino I think is sweeter and clearer. The Concertino is well suited to a small to medium size room whereas the Concerto is for a medium to large room. You don't need a lot of high powerered amplification. They will run fine on a tube or solid state amp 25w to a 100w. I have mine closer to the walls for a more prominent bass reproduction. Placement is of course very important and you may have to experiment to get the sound you are looking or.
I have an Exposure 2010 50w Integrated Amp and a Philips 963A SACD player. I have a Silver Anastasia Audio Interconnect and PS Audio Prelude Speaker cables. The fit and finish of these Italian speakers and stands are first rate.
Very high quality and look great! The are made of high grade walnut and believe it or not black "leather"!! I play jazz, blues, symphony and light rock music to a very acceptable audio level. The Concertino's seem to handle all sorts of music but of course they are excellent on vocals!

Purchased At:   Hawthorne Stereo

Submitted by ivan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is a review on the new Concertino DOMUS. I bought these beauties in february to complete my Roksan Kandy amp and cd setup. I heard the Home and the original Concertino before and IMO the Domus has a bit "cleaner" character. The sound is more open with better dynamics. I think it is due to the new tweeter similar to the ones in Cremona Auditor.

The design is exceptional. It has the SF´s lute shape with teak wood and black leather.