RAW Acoustics HT2

Submitted by audioferret a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2007

Bottom Line:
I recently received a pair of Al’s HT2s in the mail on his demo program. A user just pays shipping to the next person and they can demo his speakers in his own home. I have already built a pair of HT3s for my two-channel upstairs and I was thinking about building the HT2s for home theater. I like the idea of having identical speakers all-around on a home theater setup, so I requested a pair to see how they sound. They arrived nicely double boxed and packed neatly in Styrofoam, with neat speaker protectors taped over each speaker.

The HT2s are a bookshelf-ported speaker in an MTM configuration using a pair of the CSS WR125 and a custom Arum Cantus Tweeter. They are a 10-ohm, 87dB sensitive load on your equipment, which I found to be a quite manageable load on my system. Al offers this in a sealed configuration, but I did not get a chance to hear them.

The key here is subwoofer integration. For the serious buyer, these speakers were designed to have a subwoofer to cover below 60-80 Hz. In full range mode, I was able to get usable in-room bass down to about 60 Hz, but they definitely felt lacking in the lower bass. Considering that the lowest key of a grand piano is 27 Hz and an Organ goes down to 16…a subwoofer is a must for just about any system. Plus, with a mains-sub combo, you can tame bass nulls easier because the position of the subwoofer can compensate for the mains and vice versa. I have a 70 Hz null at the mains and a 63 Hz null in my sub, both of which are mitigated by complimentary placement.

The grills for the HT2 are magnetic, a really nice touch. The magnets are buried under the veneer so you don’t have to look at empty peg holes when you leave the grills off, which is what I did. They are quite beautiful, with an expertly done real cherry wood veneer. I still can’t see how Al makes the seams so neatly. I was again very impressed.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by audioferret a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
INTRO

Setup: The equipment used for this review may not be state-of the art, but it does reflect what I believe is a good price ratio and is relatively affordable for the average consumer. When purchasing a home theater setup, I expect to spend about half of the budget on speakers. In the case of my setup, I plan on building the speakers myself, which kinda throws this calculation off…but hey. I am using a Kenwood KRF-X9050D for a receiver; a THX certified, 110 wpc 5.1 receiver. For movies, I am using the 5.1-channel audio outs of my Pioneer DV656A. The CD-Player is a Kenwood CD-204, connected to the optical input of the receiver. TV is a Sony Wega. The room is treated with six DIY sound panels located at the right and left first-reflection points on the side and rear walls, with two corner traps in the upper right and left corners. My original Mains are a pair of Kenwood floorstanders and a voice-matched set of bipolar surrounds and center. Subwoofer is a 150W, 10” powered subwoofer – also Kenwood. I powered the mains separately off of an Onkyo Integra integrated amplifier that I intend to replace once I get a separate Home Theater amp (money again…) You might have noticed that I got most of my stuff as a matched set… Adjusting for cables, cheap VCRs, and antennas, total equipment cost runs a little over $2,000, with everything purchased at discount or used.

The subwoofer and mains were blended in with a combination of the Avia Home Theater setup and the Onix RDES subwoofer integration system (normally $400, I got mine for $100!) The speakers sent by Al Wooley already had 70hours on them, and I put another 40 before the review playing everything from classical to hip-hop. A radio shack meter and two days of adjusting speaker and subwoofer placement later, and I was ready.

Purchased At:   direct

Submitted by mcgsxr a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2006

Bottom Line:
RAW Speakers at my House

Over the past 6+ weeks, I have had the pleasure of retaining 3 sets of speakers from RAW Acoustics, based out of BC, on the West Coast of Canada – I am just outside Toronto, so it was a real treat that Al would ship these out to me, to try on, review, and post what I think.

For the record, Al and I have no formal or informal business arrangements, I do not make any money from his business, nor he from mine – we are both members of an online forum (www.audiocircle.com) and I contacted him to see if I could hear his HT3 speakers – they use a driver that I have experimented with, the WR125S, as well as the Extremis 7 inch woofer, and a proprietary ribbon tweeter.

Al graciously provided me with two other sets of speakers that he builds, in addition to the HT3 – the HT2, and the HT6, to compare and contrast, and post what I thought.

Over that timeframe, I have had 6 people to my house to hear his speakers, and some have posted to my thread around these speakers on Audiocircle in order to lend some other ears to the speakers, during their time at my house.

For those of you ultimately not familiar with my system (you mean you have not spent hours scouring AC for all my posts, etc? eeek!) it is as follows:

Room – unfinished basement of approx 25x35x7.5.
Front end – Bolder fully modded SB3, Bolder Rev1+Jensen caps upgrade PS for SB3
Amps – I use a JVC EX A1, a 3875 gainclone, and fellow AC member MarkC brought his hybrid tube/fet 300wpc monoblocks…
Cabling – Bolder M80 speaker cables, Bolder Nitro 0.5m IC, Bolder M80 IC, and MarkC also brought some Kimber 4TC with him
Power conditioning is a DIY Balanced power unit, search for Felicia on Audiocircles for more information, on the front end. 30A dedicated pony panel off my main electrical box, with dedicated lines out from that for 6 components, if need be.
Atlantis Reference 24 inch stands for HT2 and HT6. HT3 are floorstanding.

Purchased At:   http://www.rawacoust