Quad 11L Bookshelf Speakers

4.75/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $449.99

The 11L is the entry point for the series, with a single five inch KEVLAR Format Bookshelf
bass 5" (125mm)
Net Weight 6.3 kg each
Gross Weight 13.8 kg pair

Submitted by Martin I a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2012

Bottom Line:
These are excellent speakers...full stop. Purchased a very nice pair of 11L originals from a well known auction site in fabulous yew finish. They are compact and beautifully finished. 4 terminals per speaker to which I run 4 x monoblocks. 2 per speaker.

They are compact and fantastic on rigid stands. Can be placed fairly close to a wall (20-30cm) and toed in slightly for best imaging.

I can only describe the sound as breathtakingly lifelike. The detail from the soft domed tweeter is revealing yet never bright or edgy. The little bass/mid cone delivers a detailed mid range,acoustic guitars are just amazing, and plenty of tuneful bass from their diminutive size.

Some reviews out there descirbe them as being dull or having an edgy midrange when driven hard. Let's face it, these are small speakers designed for smallish rooms and are never going to deliver party levels of sound. Having said that, they go loud without fatigue and deliver a fantastic spread of sound across the room with a tremendous sense of air around each individual instrument. Very neutral in delivery.

I've had many types of speakers (bookshelf and floorstnding) but for out and out realism in this price range they are by far the best. One reviewer out there says, do you really need any more? I'd say you'd have to spend a hell of a lot more money to get a significant improvement. A very satisfying musical experience. Buy without hesitation

Submitted by lad-dog a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
At the time of writing this review I have been listening to my Quad 11L2's in the beautiful Rosewood finish for about 6 months now. I must say I have to agree with all the hype these speakers receive. I have been switching monitor speakers in and out over the last ten years. Some of my previous coveted monitors were Silverline SR 12's, Totem Rainmakers and Von Schweikert VR-1's. In listening to the Quad's I can honestly tell you they best them all. These simply are the best monitor speakers under $1000 PERIOD!!! Sure you can find better out there but you will have to spend upwards close to $2000 (not in my budget!) These would include monitors from Merlin, PMC and Proac...all around $2000 and up!!!!

The Quad 11L2's just totally disappear and allow the music to be heard. They are one of those speakers you can build an entire system around and be very happy. I first was using an NAD C340 integrated with these and the music was incredible through my Oppo bdp 83SE....but then I upgraded from the NAD to an Exposure 2010S2 integrated and WOW!!!! The music is so smooth, detailed and refined and for a monitor speaker I feed there is sufficient tight bass for an overall musically engaging experience.

My compliments to Quad for making such an amazing speaker!!!!!

Associated equipment:
Chord Company Chameleon Plus interconnect
Rega P3 turntable

Submitted by Henrik Eismark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
Purchased 2010 for GBP240.-

Sound is very nice, well rounded and well tempered with no flaws at all. In fact they put my economy sub-woofer out of work as it didn't harmonize.

I don't however experience the exuberance from the other reviews. It's worth the money I paid and maybe twice more as new and unused.

Playing on renovated and upgraded Quad 405-II and 44. incl new OP_AMPS of best quality and placed on stands.

I have no doubt they will serve a lifetime for many people.

Given the size and price it's brilliant product but it won't replace somewhat larger high end speakers. I recommend these to anyone on a budget requiring honest sound reproduction.

Personally I could at my age of 50 do with a raised tweeter, but that would be against the linear principles probably.

Great sound for it's modest price.

Submitted by Videodrome a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2006

Bottom Line:
At the time of this writing, I have had the Quad 11Ls for about 3 months. In terms of how they meet the glowing reviews that have been bestowed on them, I am glad to say they certainly live up to their reputation. They have few weaknesses. What few there are, are sins of omission. As to their strengths:

First, the speakers image extraordinarily well. In this respect, they remind me of an old, coveted pair of Celestion SL600s. The 11L’s ability to render a wide and deep soundstage for a speaker at this price is simply amazing. Center fill is stunning, particularly on vocals. On a couple of occasions, while listening to two channel music, my wife has commented that she really loved the sound of “the center speaker” (also from the matching L series). I always enjoy seeing her reaction when I tell her it isn’t playing. The image she perceives is coming only from the left and right speakers. There are simply no gaps in the center image. And vocals are dead center. Close your eyes and it’s as if they’re right there singing to you. The speakers simply disappear. Chamber and Jazz music is also very good on the Quads. As to tonal balance, the Quads possess a very smooth midrange, but can be a teeny tiny bit dry on the extreme top end, depending upon associated electronics. I would characterize them as being more neutral than warm. At the same time, they are not analytical, sterile, or cold. They are also amazingly transparent. I have owned electostatics, and the Quads really approximate their level of transparency for a box speaker. Similarly, they are also quite fast in terms of transient response.

Now the less than stellar attributes: As I mentioned, these are sins of omission and are certainly to be expected based on price, cabinet size and the inherent limitations due the size of the drivers. As you would no doubt expect, bass response is the 11L’s Achilles heel -- they simply cannot move the air of a larger floor stander. If that’s a show stopper, look at the 21L or beyond -- I hear that model is quite satisfying for those needed a fuller bottom end. That said, I don’t want to sell the 11L’s bass performance short -- what’s there is pleasant, free of boom and goes surprisingly deep; but if you’re into Crunk, Reggae, Organ Music, etc., look elsewhere unless you have a quality sub in your system. I am, in fact, running the speakers with a sub crossed at 80Hz and they mate fairly seamlessly. If you’re in a similar boat, this may make a jump to the 12L unnecessary.

Second, the speakers are very revealing despite their modest price. Initially, I powered them with an old pair of Adcom GFA 565 monoblocks. I have since upgraded to a McCormack DNA-125. Some may find it odd to pair a $2K amp with a pair of sub-$1K speakers, but believe me, the Quads shine a spotlight at whatever you throw at them. That includes bad recordings. So be forewarned, don’t expect to hear what these speakers are capable of with sub-standard electronics. And if it’s a great recording, sit back and enjoy; but if it’s a bad one, the Quads are not going to glaze over its sonic deficiencies. My advice is to pair them with neutral to warm sounding electronics. An appropriately powered tube amp would really make them sing.

Third, the speakers are not up to par with larger floor standers in terms of visceral dynamics. Though this is mostly a function of its bass limitations, you’ll still notice a lack of “slam”, across the entire frequency spectrum. This may also make the speaker less than ideal for cavernous listening / home theater rooms. Again, a sin of omission and the speaker excels with nearly all the musical genres you throw at it. But for the bumpin’ and thumpin’ stuff, you’ll be left felling a bit wanting.

Lastly, I wish Quad had made the 11L more efficient. Granted, 86dB with a 6ohm load is not a beast, but it does limit amplification choices. Had Quad made the speaker 8ohm and over 90dB efficient, it could have really opened up some interesting pairings with low output tube amps (i.e. SET designs) or digital / Class D amps. SO reading between the lines, don’t skimp on the juice. The product literature says you can use as low as a 30 w.p.c. amp, but I think that would be underpowered if you plan to listen to the speaker at any volume and would offer limited headroom for movies (if you’re using the speaker in a home theater setting).

In summary, I am extremely pleased with my purchase and would not hesitate to recommend them. I was lucky to pick up a pair of the discontinued yew finish for a great price. The cabinets, with their 7 coats of piano lacquer, are simply beautiful. I was also able to purchase the matching 11L center in yew. Together, they make a wonderful speaker ensemble that excels on both two-channel music and home theater playback. Even if the 11Ls were twice the price, you can’t go wrong.

Purchased At:   online retailer

Submitted by dharmasteve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2006

Bottom Line:
I'd always wanted a pair of Quad 11L's but never really having the spare cash I'd accepted they were not for me. A couple of years ago I'd bought a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 standamounts to partner a slightly forward and agressive Musical Fidelity X-80 amp. The 9.1's had won Speaker of the year and were classy, full and musical. A couple of months ago whilst playing around on the internet I saw my local Hifi store had an end of line in the limited edition teak laquer finish Quad 11l's on offer at £199. Bingo!!! Fifteen minutes later I was in the shop credit card at the ready. This was pure desire but better late than never.

There is a great deal of similarity between the Wharfedale 9.1's and the Quad 11L. The 9.1's have really classy rich but fluid sound that's really hard to dislike. They'd mastered the X-80's slightly aggressive presentation and I was really happy. The Quads though are a class act. They look AAA111, really beautiful laquer finish. The sound though is nothing sort of magical. Wherever possible the speakers bring a close up feel. They add width and depth to the soundstage. For a small speaker bass is real quality. Not in the depths but in the quality. Bass guitar strings have firm and recognisable edges and all bass is solid. Nitin Sawhneys, Anthem Without a Nation on the Beyond Skin album test out bass. It will show it up for good or bad. Is the bass wooly of solid? Mobile or slow? The Q 11L's have the edges and movement to excite. Midrange and vocals are perfectly forwards in the soundstage. Melody and musicality always prominent. If the upgrades are anything like these they will be magic. This is one happy chappy. If they come your way get them. Although they are great out of the box, after the 50 hours burn in time they open up to give sheer pleasure.

Purchased At:   Bartletts

the Quad 11L L2s are the real deal!

The Quad 11Ls look and sound great. I thought that maybe they would not have enough bass for me but in a small room 13x14, the 11Ls have plenty of bass. I actually have them with a 30 wpc tube amp (ASL 1003DT) and they are really a match. The Quads are more detailed in the mids and a touch forward w ... Read More »

Quad 11L Monitors

Greetings All, I am thinking about making a purchase of these Quad 11L Monitors, and using a Jolida 1501RC Integrated Hybrid Amp to power them. The amp is both tubed and solid state. Just wanted to get any thoughts that anyone might have on this combo. The monitors get rave reviews here on AudioR ... Read More »

Quad 11L or Wharfedale Diaomond 9.1

Hi- I'm new to the world of Hi-Fi and this is will be be my first real set. [Pardon me if I don't use the right terminology] My friend sold me his NAD C340 Amp second hand and I'm looking for a pair of speakers to go with it. I've done some web research, gone to the shops and it's now down to Qua ... Read More »

Epos M 12, Quad 11L or Von Schweikert VR-1

I'm looking at buying a pair of one of these. In terms of looks the Quads are the hands down winner. Anyone have comments on these choices or similar products?Read More »