Quad 11L Bookshelf Speakers

4.78/5 (18 Reviews) MSRP : $449.99

The 11L is the entry point for the series, with a single five inch KEVLAR Format Bookshelf
bass 5" (125mm)
Net Weight 6.3 kg each
Gross Weight 13.8 kg pair

Submitted by John a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2017

Bottom Line:
Hi,

I recently picked up a set of the original 77-11L (77 series 1). Im not sure how they are compared to the current "classic 11L's" but for my set up they are fantastic. The set replaced my Snell K/ii's, and so far no regrets. Alos took some sets of B&W out of the standing.

Placement is key with this set, but if proper placement is achieved the sound stage really opens up. Fantastic lower end, very accurate lower end, not booming at all, but does not lack in any manner. The top end is nice and clear but not shrill. Simply a joy to listen to. For most of us we use the "smile test"... lets just say i grin non stop when i have music playing on the 11L's.

The cabinets just oozes quality, amazing finish. I picked up the black piano finish, and I still find myself just staring at them. Nice and heavy as well.

The drivers, nice cast baskets, and the motors (magnets) though not shielded, house a nice hefty magnet. The Kevlar cones are on point. My B&W 686's with the 5" Kevlar drivers have nothing on the Quad drivers. I was quite impressed with the size of the sound stage on such a small size speaker.

Like I stated above, placement is key with this set, but if you are in the market for small speakers, that is true of pretty much any and all you will find.

As a collector, and a music lover I can say this is one of my favorite sets of small speakers. If you have the ability to find a set of the 77-11L original series, run dont walk. well worth the investment.

Kind Regards,
John

Submitted by Ed Miller a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2017

Bottom Line:
Simply put .. dollar for dollar the Quad 11L speaker is THE best in the marketplace. Period! Stop reading reviews of other speakers. Go visit your local retail outlet that carries them, reach into your pocket and buy a pair and then go home and enjoy a lifetime of crisp, clear, fidelity in music.

The biggest challenge will be what color cabinet to chose.

Submitted by Martin I a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2012

Bottom Line:
These are excellent speakers...full stop. Purchased a very nice pair of 11L originals from a well known auction site in fabulous yew finish. They are compact and beautifully finished. 4 terminals per speaker to which I run 4 x monoblocks. 2 per speaker.

They are compact and fantastic on rigid stands. Can be placed fairly close to a wall (20-30cm) and toed in slightly for best imaging.

I can only describe the sound as breathtakingly lifelike. The detail from the soft domed tweeter is revealing yet never bright or edgy. The little bass/mid cone delivers a detailed mid range,acoustic guitars are just amazing, and plenty of tuneful bass from their diminutive size.

Some reviews out there descirbe them as being dull or having an edgy midrange when driven hard. Let's face it, these are small speakers designed for smallish rooms and are never going to deliver party levels of sound. Having said that, they go loud without fatigue and deliver a fantastic spread of sound across the room with a tremendous sense of air around each individual instrument. Very neutral in delivery.

I've had many types of speakers (bookshelf and floorstnding) but for out and out realism in this price range they are by far the best. One reviewer out there says, do you really need any more? I'd say you'd have to spend a hell of a lot more money to get a significant improvement. A very satisfying musical experience. Buy without hesitation

Submitted by lad-dog a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
At the time of writing this review I have been listening to my Quad 11L2's in the beautiful Rosewood finish for about 6 months now. I must say I have to agree with all the hype these speakers receive. I have been switching monitor speakers in and out over the last ten years. Some of my previous coveted monitors were Silverline SR 12's, Totem Rainmakers and Von Schweikert VR-1's. In listening to the Quad's I can honestly tell you they best them all. These simply are the best monitor speakers under $1000 PERIOD!!! Sure you can find better out there but you will have to spend upwards close to $2000 (not in my budget!) These would include monitors from Merlin, PMC and Proac...all around $2000 and up!!!!

The Quad 11L2's just totally disappear and allow the music to be heard. They are one of those speakers you can build an entire system around and be very happy. I first was using an NAD C340 integrated with these and the music was incredible through my Oppo bdp 83SE....but then I upgraded from the NAD to an Exposure 2010S2 integrated and WOW!!!! The music is so smooth, detailed and refined and for a monitor speaker I feed there is sufficient tight bass for an overall musically engaging experience.

My compliments to Quad for making such an amazing speaker!!!!!

Associated equipment:
Chord Company Chameleon Plus interconnect
Rega P3 turntable

Submitted by Henrik Eismark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
Purchased 2010 for GBP240.-

Sound is very nice, well rounded and well tempered with no flaws at all. In fact they put my economy sub-woofer out of work as it didn't harmonize.

I don't however experience the exuberance from the other reviews. It's worth the money I paid and maybe twice more as new and unused.

Playing on renovated and upgraded Quad 405-II and 44. incl new OP_AMPS of best quality and placed on stands.

I have no doubt they will serve a lifetime for many people.

Given the size and price it's brilliant product but it won't replace somewhat larger high end speakers. I recommend these to anyone on a budget requiring honest sound reproduction.

Personally I could at my age of 50 do with a raised tweeter, but that would be against the linear principles probably.

Great sound for it's modest price.