Polk Audio RT15i Bookshelf Speakers

4.65/5 (20 Reviews) MSRP : $119.00

It''s small enough to fit just about anywhere, with a real wood finish that looks great on the most prestigious naturally finished speaker stands and AV furniture, and sets new performance standards for speakers in its size and price class. It''s available not only in the new real wood finishes of its fellow RTi Series speakers, but also in a matte white laminate finish.

Submitted by Ronk489385 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
The speakers I use have seen a huge downwards shift in price and size. A previous main speakers, which I bought in 89, was the huge Acoustat Spectra 11 electrostatic speaker at $1000. A few years ago, I "downgraded" to a B&W 601S2 at $450. I further downgraded to a Audio Axiom M2Ti at $179 (discontinued special). I recently bought an open box Polk RT15i for fun as it was cheap. As you can see there is a trend -- I am on the hunt for the perfect cheap speaker.

I like speakers that are very detailed but yet accurate, smooth, and clean with clear accurate treble and tight bass. I don't need deep and powerful bass. Having read the reviews from Stereophile and being able to pick up an open box special that had some cosmetic damage real cheap, I said to myself, "Why not?" The speakers came without boxes and minor cosmetic damage but without any damage to my wallet at $60 (if I remember correctly).

I could not use it in my living room because the speakers did not have bananas so I used it in my bedroom in place of a pair of Wharfedale Diamonds 7.

The sound is clean and smooth with sufficient detail but not analytic. The treble is clear but I have heard better. The Optimus LX5 has one of the cleanest treble in a budget speaker, but unfortunately, the rest of the sound is mediocre. The main problem with the Polk is the mid-bass boom that I hear, but I suspect it is partly a function of my bedroom.

This speaker is decent, especially for the budget price I paid. It is not perfect and I have not found my perfect speaker yet -- a mini-monitor with perfect mid-bass to higher treble that will clearly beat every price-is-no-object speaker system in every parameter (except maximum volume) from upper midbass to higher treble but costing under $300 max (preferably under $100). I guess I will have to keep looking.

Submitted by aej09 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
This review is also for the R15, not the Ri15.

I first heard these when I was helping a friend get into HT. I couldn't believe the sound from these inexpensive little speakers. Full and rich (with a sub), with midrange detail and decent, but not fatiguing highs. He ended up getting two as surrounds. When I saw them on sale for $40 a pop I let him know ( he was lokking for two more for his new 7.1 setup).

Regretting I had not bought a pair I put in a couple bids on Ebay. After they all failed I lucked out and found the same sale at Circuit City-$80 a pair.

As I was using mine for mains in the secondary system in the basement I put them on stands, ans they just got better. Good soundstage, decent separation (for $40 speakers), but the dynamic range on these bad boys is the impressive bit. I'm using these these with an eight year old passive sub (dual 6.25" drivers) and I can't imagine what they would be like with an active sub!

I've listened to everything from Creed to Sade, Miles Davis, and John Lee Hooker. These things work the whole range beautifully. They lack compared to the Infinity IL30's and IL100s sub in my main system, but at 7% of the price this is definately one of the best bargins out there.

Submitted by a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
This review is for the r15, not the r15i.
I caught these on sale at CC for $80. Regular price $140. They are worth the money. I got these to replace some KLH 911b's In comparison the polks have deeper bass, better imaging, and a better midrange. I also think that the tweeter is very clear. I have my treble set flat. Highs are detailed, but not overly bright. I can only imagine how these will sound once I get some stands for them.

Submitted by Victor Chu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
i hooked the the speakers up to my kenwood receiver, I bought this as open box, and i think they are good. I play music from my mp3 so i dont think im getting the best sound from my computer. But overall they are nice speakers. I read the reviews and am glad i got them. I havent pushed them but they play low sounds very low. They dont have too much bass, which is good for apartments. I had a polk bookshelf speakers about 15 years ago, and they were awesome. So i know these would be good.

Purchased At:   circuit city

Submitted by JC a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
These speakers just went on sale for $160 at my local Circuit City, which is $40 less than the normal price. Don't know how long the sale lasts, but what a deal! Terrific sound, compact size, and a cheaper-than-expected price.