Polk Audio Audio M10 Bookshelf Speakers

3.5/5 (2 Reviews) MSRP : $199.00

M10 Loudspeakers are perfect for building starter systems, or for small room or multi-room applications. With the addition of a PSW Series powered subwoofer, you can assemble an impressive home theater system on a budget. Use them as surrounds in a den or bedroom system. Wall mount them in your workshop or basement rumpus room for “industrial strength” durability and great sound.

Submitted by phileserver39 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought the beautiful cherry veneered version or the M10. These speakers make good rear channels for my Pioneer VSX-99 amp which is plenty powerful enough to drive them. They are a fantastic buy. If $ is taken out of the equation and they are judged strictly on their sonic quality then they lack bass and the imaging is just so so. But hey, they are well worth the flapjacks you'll spend and you can't go wrong for springing for the cherry finish.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by beken a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2009

Bottom Line:
Sometimes a friend asks me what I would recommend for speakers on the cheap. So I bought a pair of these during a post-Christmas sale and thought if they're good, I would use them for my home theatre afterwards. These are less than 1/10th the price of my regular music system stereo speakers and I didn't expect them to be giant killers. But they are good enough to recommend for home theatre or entry level stereo systems for your non-audiophile friends. At $68 per pair, they are heads and shoulders over any computer or "iPod dock" speaker.

Out of the box, they sounded awful. But took about 10 hours to break in and they image half decently after that, treble and bass become less muffled and noticeably clearer and more extended. Bass extension is pretty good for a speaker this size, but I couldn't help but think there may be a bit of a mid-base bloat to the overall sound. That may clear out as the speaker wears in more. Music I was using was some old 70's and 80's rock, Pink Floyd, The Who, Elton John to some jazz and then some classical. Resolution isn't quite as good as my other speakers. But for the price, they were fine and I enjoyed my music.

Would I recommend these to a non-discerning friend? If they don't want to spend more, then yes.

Product model year:   2008