Paradigm Reference Mini Monitor
Description: 2-driver, 2-way bass reflex. Quasi-3rd order resistive port

Submitted by D.B. Sykes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought these years ago, mine are the v.2 models in the light cherry laminate finish. They have seved me well as remotes for stereo in the man cave. I also have a set of Paradigm Reference Studio 100's v.2 and 20's v.2, both of these sets are in the light cherry veneer finish. The 100's are the mains in my living room, and the 20's were remotes in the den. I recently broke down the system as far as the remotes go, and try my hand at a home theater system for the bedroom. Capitalizing on what I already own, I picked up some stands (30") and set the Mini Monitors for the rear channels, and the Studio 20's for the fronts, with a Studio CC v.2 for the center, drug the Servo 15 v.2 sub in the bedroom aswell and tucked it beside chest on chest. Hooked it all up to a new
Denon AVR 2112ci and an OPPO BDP 93 blu-ray player, and a Samsung 750 series 40" flat screen hung high on the wall at the foot of the bed. The end result was truly amazing, these old monitors have and still serve me very well, even at 10 years old, they sound as good or better than anything in their price range up to $750, I see them on the Bay frequently in black for around 100 bucks, an absolute steal at that price point. They worked well as remotes but now they really shine as rears in a HTS. If you can grab an old set of these under 200 and use them in a similar scenario as mine you won't be dissapointed

Submitted by Logan Brown a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2010

Bottom Line:
After spending several months looking at different monitors in this size range including the Paradigm Atom Monitor and some active recording monitors, I settled on Paradigm Mini Monitors.

Compared to the three other speakers that I have in the price range, the mini's are my 2nd favorite. My favorite are Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble I's, then the Mini's, then my SpeakerCraft AIM LCR One's, and finally my first pair of speakers: Clement's Audio 107di's.

The choice between the Ensemble's and the Mini's was personal. I prefer the tone of paper, and the bass of an acoustic air suspension.

Pros:
They are fantastically neutral, yet not cold and lifeless.
The bass extension is phenomenal for a speaker this size.
They image beautifully.
High end is crisp and clear.
The mids sound natural, and shine on vocals.

Cons:
They don't flip the record for you.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Enochrome a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2010

Bottom Line:
This review is for the latest version of the Paradigm Mini Monitors V.6.

I auditioned these and the B&W 605. I thought the 605's were amazing and
excelled at vocals and jazz. I also, liked that that they are bi-wired. Yet, I chose the
Mini Monitors because I felt that they handled a larger variety of music and had a
fuller/musical sound. I won't go into technical specifics, because I am not a seasoned veteran
of gear, yet I have a large collection of almost all forms of music, and have worked at a record shop
for many years (which sold vinyl).

This sound won me over, even though it goes against the current preference for complete neutrality. Neutrality was a strong point for the Minis, just not as much as the 605's. Vocals were airy and had detail.
What the Paradigm excelled, in my IMO, beyond the 605s is this:

- It handled fast hard rocking music as easily as slow folk.
- provided details in all instruments without causing clinical separation that cd's can do. It made your cds sound better.
- It was unmatched in sonic detail of strings.
- Has a control of the frequency range that was dynamic: highs were not extremely extended, but butter smooth without the dreaded "roll off"; Bass was so tight, yet full that you would think they were fioorstanding speakers.
- Once again, the bass is their strong point that the 605s could not come close to.
- The soundstage was wide and accurate. The off angle range was incredible: you lose very little standing off to the side.
Get these speakers. They are $200.00 cheaper than the 605s. My blue-ray movies sound amazing, and on the opposite side of the spectrum, my vinyl sounds soooo goooood!!! That is testament to the Mini Monitors when it can excel at both formats. They design, and make all their parts in house in Canada, nothing is outsourced, so the build quality is unmatched in this price range.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by stratman672001 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2008

Bottom Line:
I decided after six faithful years of enjoyment I would semi-retire my Atoms and go for the next line up and that was the monitor series. The Minis specifically. I did check out a pair of JM Lab speakers as well but found them rather bass shy. The Minis, on the other hand, had a more even response all the way down to 40 hz with a gentle rolloff below that. The JMs had slightly more detailed highs but not by much. The only dissapointment was that it wasn't that much more revealing than my old Atoms. That's not so much of a damning statement of the Minis as it is more a testament of how good the Atoms really are. Are the Minis worth the extra green? in a word: Definitely!
The Monitor series has been completely redesigned from the ground up and I definitely am going to check them out. From what I've heard so far they are a smashing success soundwise.

Purchased At:   Summit Sound

Submitted by wpm a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2005

Bottom Line:
The following is in reference to the version 4 Mini Monitor. One word can sum up the sound of these speakers... STUNNING! This is a no BS, smooth, full sounding speaker that literally SHAMES the competition, at three, four, times the price.

I have never heard a speaker in its price range (or any range, for that matter) sound so natural and inviting. Everything about theese speakers exudes class and makes you just want to kick back and listen for hours.

They may not have the fancy wrapping that other, high-priced monitors have, but what they don't have in packaging they more than make up for in sound quality, and that, my friends, is what it's all about.

If you like your music full, rich, warm, and easy on the ears, but with just enough detail to let you know what's going on, then the V4 Mini Monitors are for you.

Purchased At:   Innovations in Home