Monitor Audio Silver RS1 Bookshelf Speakers

4.43/5 (7 Reviews)

Expect clarity, detail, speed and punch from the stand-mounting RS1, a compact, two-way reflex-ported system that incorporates a single 6” (150mm) C-CAM bass/mid-range driver and a 1” (25mm) Gold Dome C-CAM tweeter. With high efficiency (90dB) and power handling (80W), the RS-1 will release all the dynamic impact of music and movie sound with little cost to living space.

Submitted by Povilas Kaminskas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2017

Bottom Line:
I thought I should add an important note to all the reviewers that are pretty right about these speakers. They are great in many aspects except one... The seriously lack the depth of bass. Yes the bass is punchy and pronounced and they kick really well. But the depth is lacking to my ear very much. I play electronic music and most of if cannot be handled by these speakers. You don't hear any 50hz sounds, I am not even sure if one can hear 60Hz sounds. I have auditioned Boston Acoustics A26 speakers that are similar in size but the bass... Man, it is deeper than some column speakers can provide, a totally different league. So generaly you can easily produce a deep bass with that size of a cone. An RS1 just annoyingly lack bass depth.
Another thing that when you crank the volume up you can clearly hear the cone running all over the place and trying to produce that bass. Yes they might be 80W in power but after half the volume the bass becomes so... not tasty, noisy.
So my advice is choose other speakers if you desire full bodied sound. I have no choice but to add a subwoofer.

Submitted by joncinland a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2010

Bottom Line:
I directly compared these to several hand picked bookshelf speakers in my own sound room. They were my price point favorites. Overall winner was the Snell .5, but these were close and were much less expensive. Mordaunt Shorts had better resolution, but not as warm. This is a no brainer. I found them more detailed than the B&W and more satisfying, but less bass. Add a solid sub and you have some magic here. Of the 10 spacers I reviewed, I kept the Snell .5 and the Klipsch RBs. I an a tube amp guy, so I use the Klipsch to rock out where i need high output. Otherwise the Snells are the top pick.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Johnny Farm a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
Really a little gems !!! extremely high quality sound from these speakers,
looks and construccion are excellent too, highly recommended.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by George Swift a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2010

Bottom Line:
Bought these RS1 before they all sold out hooked up to my old Technics SU-V660 85w put them on top of my
RS8 turned up the volume and the music they produced it was amazing on first impressions your mind said
this music is coming out of the larger RS8 an exellent bookshelf speaker good base with a clean mid and top
end, full marks to M/A you would have to be a very fussy audiophile to not be impressed all for £ 199.90 inc
postage QUICK THEM GET BOUGHT

Submitted by tar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
Got them in Feb 2006. Right out the box, they sound bright and harsh. But, give them time to run-in, they will sound much better. How much time? At least 300 hours. Mine took that long before the mid-range sounded ultra-smooth. Silbilance become less pronounced and higher freq sounded sweet. The sound is fast and they don't have any problems tracking fast rythms as long as your amp is up to the job.

They are a bit weak in the bass department, but that's because there's only so much air they can move in that cabinet. Putting them on stands worked wonders. More control and less woolly in the bass. I set them up about 25cm from the rear walls. Too much out from the walls, and the bass loses punch.

For best results, I bi-wired them. They sound better with a cleaner top-end than if I used the al-cheapo metal stamped plates that shorted the binding posts. Throw these away and use bi-wiring instead.

In terms of looks, they look real nice with their grilles off. Wife didn't like it though. So, I put them back on.