Mission 780 Bookshelf Speakers

4.5/5 (28 Reviews)

2-Way Reflex Speaker - 5 inch (130mm) Keraform Driver - Silk Dome Tweeter

Submitted by Analogue Addict a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2012

Bottom Line:
I've owned these speakers since 2000. In that time, every other piece of associated equipment has been upgraded - amps, pre, analogue & digital sources, line & speaker cables etc. I have never had any desire to change the Missions, they maintain their transparency and exceptional timing and drive. Not quite up there with ProAc, Ruark et al but they hold their own. One can clearly distinguish the sonic signature of interconnects and speaker cables. The current system is an Acoustic Signature turntable with hot rodded RB250 arm, DL304 cartridge thru a tube phono stage directly into 2x Tripath TK2050 power amps vertically biamped with custom cat5 diy cables. Interconnects are Cardas with Eichmann plugs. This incarnation is bliss!

I also had the well documented 'weeping' driver syndrome, and the Missions failed :/ however the distributor here in Aus replaced the keraforms with replacement Audax drivers, no change in sonic signature.

A couple of caveats: Speaker cables must be carefully chosen to avoid treble brightness. as another reviewer has already mentioned, avoid silver cables. Biwiring improves the already excellent focus, biamping takes it to the next level. With the right speaker cables and amp(s) hey presto, there's the bass others have claimed is lacking. Use good mass loaded stands. I use Dynaudio stands filled with sand. I found that quite a lot of toe-in achieves pinpoint imaging.

In summary if you find a pair on the secondary market with replaced drivers (if they work, they've been replaced) snap them up. I've seen them sell on -that- auction site for <$100 which is a crazy bargain, hence the 5* value rating for a discontinued product

Submitted by Michael Fritz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2007

Bottom Line:
Hi,
we bought these speakers to replace my sons jbl control 1, basically to upgrade his system. Got them for about half price, 500 A$, they had them on special. We compared them with Quad's 11, which appeared to be more lean, less colourfull and anyhow less musical. The Mission showed more emotion and speed, may be more vibrant in sonic terms.They look stunning, almost sexy, with real timber veneer. They are excellent in small to medium sized rooms and enjoy good stands.
Unfortunately the mid/bass keraform drivers didn't last long, as I found out Mission had more then a problem with those divers, and we assume they were using them in the shop as demos for quite some time.
Anyway, we had to wait 7 weeks to have them fixed under warranty, which was a bit annoying.
But since then they never missed a beat, and we are very happy with our choice.
My son is thinking now to upgrade his amp, a Teac 300 Reference midi unit, as those speakers are capable of much more, as we found out when we paired them with a quad 34/306 amp.
As Mission has stopped producing this series now you should calculate a pair of mid/bass drivers in, they are around 135 A$ per driver in case you go for second hand ones. The latest version of those drivers are slightly bluish in colour
and should last, according to Mission.

Purchased At:   westcoast hifi, west

Submitted by king of the dancehall a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
I'd read the glowing reviews that adorned these speakers a couple of years back, I'd heard a pair in a hi fi store and had been impressed with the midrange and clarity of these missions. However they didn't have the drama and bass of bigger speakers. I'd been getting by for years with a pair of kef coda's and more recently an mj acoustics pro 100 sub. I saw these speakers advertised by some fool who'd bought them to go with a kef centre speaker in a surround set up, only to realise he'd be better off with matching speakers. He was lumbered with 2 month old speakers, warranty covered,with receipts, I took them off his hands for a measley £80 plus postage. A friend of mine has a set of Dynaudio 52's which are superb, better than the missions in the bass department, but the missions have an ever so slightly sweeter midrange and treble. I would say the Dynaudios are easily better allround speakers but they cost far far more. I'd been considering a set but felt the money would be wasted as I'd only be paying the extra for improved bass and as I already have a decent sub this was unnecessary. With the mj woofer, the missions work sublimely, better than the dynaudio's alone and for less money. I'd recommend this set up to anyone. Sweet and detailed yet with the excellent mj sub making up for the missions bass shortcomings. A lack of bass is the only criticism you could aim at these speakers, but for their tiny size they do a good job. Anyone expecting more bass from such small boxes is after all asking for a little too much. I've also heard they can be difficult to drive, my amp(a tag 60i) is powerful and dynamic so I've never had any problems. However, from what I'e heard, I'd think very carefully before pairing them up with anything less than a decent 50w amp.

Submitted by Prune_Phace a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
The 78 series are onethe better Mission speaker ranges.Due to the use of the now better silk dome tweeters.
Fast and lively speakers with good rythmic ability.Quite refined(not as smooth the Dynaudio 42 though)

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by kcvtsai a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
The sound and image are firm and solid for a price and size of the speaker. Sounds great!! But had some problem with my base unit, since the first day I bought the speakers. water droplets seems to form at the base unit and now the base unit doesn't work and I had to get it fixed with the cost of 1/3 of a new unit!

Purchased At:   Hong Kong

Opinion: Pioneer SX-780 vs Technics SU-V2

Anybody know anything about either of these amps? Be glad for some opinions! Which of these two amps - Pioneer SX-780 or Technics SU-V2 - do people regard more highly?Read More »

Mission 780 problems

Hey guys wondered if you could help. My Mission 780s have spend a while in the cupboard and i got them out to start a new system in my study, problem is there is no bass whatsoever being played through them, and no vibrations through the woofers at all i've checked the amp and all is fine on that e ... Read More »

Onkyo 570 vs 780 ???

Hey all. Newbie to the boards looking for a good (If there is a good one) Home Theater in a Box. I've heard plenty of good things about Onkyo but I'm not sure if the 780 if worth the extra couple hundred bucks for the 10" sub and the 5 1/4" speakers, as opposed to the 570 that has 4" speakers and ... Read More »

Wharfedale 9.1 v. Mission 780

Hi, I'm undecided about these two speakers. I've not had the chance to audition them side by side and wondered if anyone else had tested these two speakers against each other. I won't have the chance to do so either as the Mission's are only available brand new from a discount seller who don't st ... Read More »