Harman Kardon HKB 6 Bookshelf Speakers

The HKB 6 should be evaluated in terms of dramatic sonic output rather than diminutive dimensions. It delivers full, rich, musically inviting sound. A 6-inch polymer-reinforced low-frequency transducer is matched to a vented cabinet design for high efficiency and low bass extension. A titanium-coated, 3/4-inch tweeter floats detailed treble over a wide listening area. If you're looking for a compact speaker that reproduces music and movie soundtracks with outstanding presence and impact, this is the model for you.

Submitted by brokentilez a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2005

Bottom Line:
Bought these speakers after wanting to buy a nice home theatre system on a college student budget. Bought a used Pioneer VSX 811S and decided to get some decent speakers. I bought the HKB6. They sound great with it. Great for cds, mp3s, and movies. I would DEFINITELY buy these again for the 75 dollars I paid at ebay. They are worth double that. I however am too poor to pay the suggested 200 retail price. If I could afford it, I would buy larger speakers that were floor standing. But for a sized home theatre on a budget, these sound great. I wish I wouldv'e bought more. I can't find them on ebay any more. :( . Whenever they were selling them, they had a ton, but I didn't want to buy any more because I think people figured out they were on ebay and getting a great deal so all the bids went too high for me to afford.

Submitted by hendricksonet a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2005

Bottom Line:
I set out to buy my first audio system. I didn't want to settle for buying my system at Best Buy so I went online in search of a great sounding system. For the first time I was happy that I got a pop up ad. It was advertising HK Direct on ebay. From there I bought all my speakers. All of them were Brand New never opened shipped directly from Harman Kardon.

When I hooked these up to my HK AVR430 I was amazed. The clarity was something I was hoping for, but did not expect for the $48 sticker price I paid. To test the speakers a bit more I popped in the Top Gun DVD and was blown away. Everything sounded awesome! From then on I have loved turning up the volume on any movie and listening to every detail.

When I tell people that I paid $48 for these their expectations fall, but when they sit down and listen to them they want to know how to get a pair for themselves.

Overall I would recommend these to speakers anybody, except if you can afford higher end B&W or B&O speakers.

Purchased At:   HKDirect

Submitted by Kynon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2004

Bottom Line:
I love these speakers.
When I went on eBay, I was looking for a budget pair of speakers. At $70, I was by no means expecting something like this!

The highs and mids are comparable to my old Klipsch, and when it comes to bass, these things can THUMP.
Far more than I expected from bookshelves.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Justus a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
I also purchased these unheard. I felt for the price I could always resale these on E-bay. They are larger then I was expecting, but I am happy for that. They look very good. They have very good styling. The size and weight (18lbs) clearly reflect the quality build of these. I have 7 of them but am only using 6 for my 6.2 set up. I just put the other in the closet for when I decide to go with a 7.2 receiver. The sound is fantastic. I listen to music, tv, and all types of movies. I feel this was the best possible decision that I could have made. There are no other speakers of this quality and price that even come close to what these offer. They are rated at 150w but I am only putting 80w to them and they are louder then I could ever need. 100% Fantastic!

Submitted by cageydude a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
I set out a month ago to replace our old receiver and speakers, and did a lot of comparisons in local shops. We mainly needed a good HTS setup, but wanted to enjoy music as well (probably 80% movies).

For the receiver, I purchased the Yamaha HTR-5660 from J&R, and am extremely happy with it (though I wish it had more coaxial audio inputs).

For speakers, my wife and I listened to several package systems (JBL, Infinity, Yamaha, Sony), and looked at components. We were leaning toward buying components, simply because we found the packages lacking in depth and midrange.

However, I happened upon the Harmon Kardon ebay store and saw that they were selling several combos direct. I wound up buying the 5.1 system which included two pairs of these HKB6's, the HKC center channel, and the HKSUB 150" front-firing sub.

I was hesitant at first, because I was buying these unheard, but the specs were impressive, and HK has a 30-day no questions money back policy.

Thankfully, I'll not be sending them back. We love the speakers, and I've had friends over who spent much more on their systems, and they are awed by the quality. They also look great.

There are a few caveats. First, I should have bought the 7.1 package HK sells, since my receiver supports 6.1, but I can simply buy another pair of HKB6's, and use one (not sure what to do with the other, though).

Second, these speakers are a lot larger than I expected, and I wasn't sure what the wife would think, but she loves them. Still, if you're thinking of the small Bose or other package speakers that you find at BB or CC, you'll be surprised how large these are.

[I'm placing this review on the HKC and HKSUB pages as well]

Purchased At:   HK direct