GR Research AV2 Bookshelf Speakers

* 2-way bass reflex design
* Proprietary crossover
* 1” GR-T3 soft dome tweeter
* Two M-130 5.25” composite paper woofer with phase plug, polymer chassis, and vented Kapton voice coil
* Frequency response +/-1.2 db (anechoic) 3 db down point is 55Hz
* Sensitivity is 91.5 db (1watt/1m)
* Nominal power range 5-100 watts RMS
* Impedance 4 ohms nominal 3.6 ohms minimal
* Height 17.5", width 8", and depth 14.25"

Submitted by steveandlisa123 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2008

Bottom Line:
This was my first attempt at DIY speaker building and to be fair, this is probably more accurately described as speaker assembling as GR research designed the crossover and cabinet diimensions to match their drivers and tweeters.

anyway, the whole process from research to ordering to building was very fun. Danny at GR Research offers incredible customer service and knows how to work with a Noob like myself.

I've been listening to them for about 2 months now and I would say they are fully burned in. They are simply astounding speakers - smooth mid range, clear high end that is lively without being overly bright. They just sound fantastic and I'm thoroughly enjoying them. They also offer remarkable bass for the driver size. (They are rear ported and are 3db down at about 50 hz.) I have since added a subwoofer to cover the sub 50hz range and I'm in audio nirvana.

In short, I think these are a bargain and well worth the effort to build. If you can solder and do very basic woodworking, you can build your own speakers.

I have compared them directly to my previous Boston Acoustics CR77s (excellent speakers at about $300) and also to B&W's new 686 bookshelf speakers at $500.

The AV2s trump them both and other reviews suggest they can take on the mighty Paradigm studio 40s, but I've not compared them yet.

Purchased At:   gr-research.com