Focal Chorus 706S Bookshelf Speakers

• Crossover frequencies: 2400Hz
  • Maximal power handling with musical program: 80W
  • Dimensions (HxWxD):
  • 370x220x250mm 14.6x8.7x9.8inch
  • Weight: 9.6kg (21.1lbs)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by alice 69 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2009

Bottom Line:

I'm a entry level audio guy,
    Just got started to build my system. I listed the componets that I got so far.
    AC 640 A V2
    Focal JM lab 706 / target 31 " stands.
    AC 640C V2
    Wasatch interconnects
    Audio Quest speaker cables.

I went to Electric city Sight & Sound for my system. Scott is da man!
    Now you won't belive this but I got the 706's new for $150.00 for the pair just because they were
    last year model. Originally $650 or more for a pair.
    This is the best $150 I had ever spent!

Yeah they take some to break in. But man do they sound awesome.
    great detail & imaging with good bass weight. The bass extention is pretty good, I know I put on
    AWB " Cut the cake" and it got down there. Nice and tight,fast ,controlled.

Very rich midrange,Sweet high with alot of sheen,smooth but not bright.
    These spaeker have a lot of emotions and excitment. Instrustments are just superb.
    Female vocals.....speaking of female vocals. i played Diana Krall "live in paris" Boy, I wasn't expecting
    to be blown away. But man these speakers just let Krall vocals shine. Infact the whole band shine.
    when it comes to great Vocals the Focal 706 are to die for.

It was an emotional expearince. I know what music is suppose to sound like because I too am a
    musician.

All I can say it i got a fantastic deal and I am very,very happy with the 706's. They really do kick butt.
    They are right. You know the real audio purist in what they say. Bigger is not always better. Infact I read
    70% of the time they buy just the monitors(book shelfs speaker) for more coherence.
    I can see why now. I really can't say anything bad about them oh yeah they need breaking in time.
    other than that .. Just freaking fantastic!!!

Oh yeah just one thing "I got the 706's new for $150.00!" Yeah BABY!!!!!!!

Anyway thanks for reading my so what of a review.

Happy Audioing!!!

Submitted by Rock789 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2006

Bottom Line:
    After nearly two years, I am still very happy with my system. I auditioned several different models of Focal JM Lab, Mirage, and Klipsch. I listened to many other companies which I eliminated from my list for one reason or another.

I am using a Denon 2805 to power these and it seems to be a very nice match although I do plan on amping someday...

I have these speakers as my #6&7 speakers, as I have the 716S for fronts and surrounds, and the CC700S as the center

IMO, these speakers play 2-ch music, sacd multi-ch. music, and movies very well.

If you are looking for a nice set of bookshielf speakers around $500, audition the Chorus 706S and you won't be sorry.

Purchased At:   Golden Gramophone

Submitted by Gummy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2006

Bottom Line:
    For the money these are great speakers. They sound better on Jazz, classical, blues, accoustic and vocal but a little weak on Rock'n roll. They are very smoothe top to bottom but don't extend down as far as some other bookshelf speakers, plus lack a little lower midrange punch.
    They have taken a very long time to break in. ( I guess 150 hours plus) but after the break in the bass is more extended and treble less harsh.
    They also have a slight nasal/boxy sound to the lower midrange but that only shows up on some male vocals or certain drums.
    I use these with a velodyne FSR 18 so the lack of deep bass is not an issue.
    These speakers also image very well and when you close your eyes you can fall asleep thinking that you are at a real performance. There is never any fatigue so you end up listening for hours often been late for things as you get so imersed in the music.

Purchased At:   asia sound Singapore

Submitted by TXMark a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
    I bought these speakers after I got a Denon DVD-2910, because the new player made my JBL speaker sound pretty darn bad. That started my audionervosa trip!!!!

Based on the fact that I have yet to hear a pair of JMLabs that I do not like (from the 706S's to the Nova Utopia Be's), I decided that the 706S speakers would be best for my smallish listening room.

These speakers are simply fantastic, and give plenty of sound, and while the bass is not super (and few bookshelf speaker have killer bass) they do just fine for my listening room.

The speakers have now had over 4 months to break in, and on SACD recordings, they produce excellent sound, and through a soundstage well beyond the speakers. The mid range and upper frequency is extremely nice, and offer a sound quality similar to the bigger (and more expensive)JMLabs speakers. On REALLY well done SACD recordings, the sense of air, space, hall, etc are all there in spades..this from a small speaker!!!!

I would recommend this speaker to anyone who wants a small speaker (for a listening space that would be destroyed by large speakers) to give a serious listen to these speakers. I have run classical, opera, jazz, blues, some rock (despite the lack of bass, though a subwoofer would fill this out nicely!!!), and some world music, and the 706S speakers handle it all with aplomb!!!

Purchased At:   Sound Mind Audio-Aus

Submitted by Rem a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
    This is a gem of a speaker for the money I compared with B&W 601S3, Energy Connosieur 3, Dali blues and Athena SB1 and the 706s s gives you a well balanced sound with good treble and good imaging. I like the composure of the with jazz and acoustic guitars very nice indeed the B&W 601S3 but the 706 sound to me a bit more balance. Anyway the 601 were priced $150 USA more than the 706 S so at the end of the day the chorus offer a real value for money status.

Purchased At:   West Coast Hi-Fi