Focal 806TEC Bookshelf Speakers

3.67/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $995.00

JMLab Cobalt 806 6-1/2"" Bookshelf Speakers - 806TEC/ 2 Way/ 75 Watts Max Power/ Priced Per Pair/ Technic Styling

Submitted by tkyc a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2007

Bottom Line:
I purchase the JMLab Colablt 806's on sale and have been very impressed. They replaced a much loved pair of Paradigm Studio 20v2. The sound of JMLabs speakers was smoother and more refined than my previous speakers. They also imaged a little better. I agree that without a subwoofer I would not be happy. Bass is about the same as the Paradigms but no speaker I have heard this size can really handle low bass. The JMLabs work great with my 2 NHT subs. If you can afford a good subwoofer, like SVS, Hsu or Outlaw's, the combination will bring you very close to the really hi-end stuff, assuming you have good associated equipment. I highly recomment the 806's with the above in mind. At close out prices they are a steal in my book. I love them.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by Belgarchi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2005

Bottom Line:
* These speakers are very user-friendly. Great, modern look. Dual good quality binding posts. Front vent, allowing to use them in many locations (bookshelf, against a wall, on stands, etc.). Well protected by a steel grill (will not become crap after a few years, like textil), and a "bridge" in front of the tweeter.
* Impressive technology. Superb mid-bass, with a sandwich kevlar cone, big magnet, die-cast frame. Concave tweeter made of titanium. Complex, 11 components crossover (probably 24 db/ocatve electrical slope). Unfortunately, a few electrolytic caps are used. Very good, thick enclosure (3/4" MDF). Good internal cables.
* The sound has very good and very bad aspects. Very, very detailed. Wide bandpass. High efficiency, very good dynamic, high maximum level. Free from box coloration.
Good imaging. But there is a slight lack of coherence, a little bit of aggressivity. I didn't measure them yet, but there is, probably, a little bit too much high medium and treble frequencies. It should be possible to improve the result by adding a resistor or a L-Pad.
All things considered, excellent value.
P.S. I disagree about their bass performance: the mid and upper bass are amazing for their size. Extreme low frequencies are missing like for all bookshelf speakers, and low mids are recessed

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by BIGMAKO1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
1 SHOPPED FOR 3 MONTHS TO FIND A HIGH END BOOKSHELF FOR A MUSIC ONLY SYSTEM IN MY BEDROOM. I LISTENED TO ABOUT 50 PAIRS OF SPEAKERS IN THE PRICE RANGE I WANTED TO BE IN. ( $600.00- $999.00)
I SOUND TESTED MUSIC FROM - THE WHO , BLACK SABBATH, STEELY DAN & KING CRIMSON(90'S). A WIDE VARIETY OF ROCK MUSIC THAT I LISTEN TO , TRYING TO ARRIVE AT A SPEAKER FOR MY TASTE. THE COBALT SEEMED TO SQUEEK OUT A MISSION BOOKSHELF (THAT I FORGET THE MODEL NUMBER OF) AND SEEMED TO BEAT B& W BOOKSHELF IN THE $500.00 RANGE BY A MILE IN IMAGING HIGH END AND MID- BASS PERFORMANCE. THERE WAS A SPEAKER THAT I NOW REGRET NOT BUYING WAS THE KRIX EQUINOX @ $800.00 PER PAIR. BUT I HAVE TO DRIVE ALL OVER THE STATE SPEAKER SHOPPING IT IS HARD TO REMEMBER WHAT YOU HEARD AN HOUR AGO IN A DIFFERENT SHOWROOM 60 MILES AWAY (HARD TO FIND GOOD AUDIO SHOPS CLOSE TOGETHER IN NJ)ANYWAY, THE COBALTS ARE DISSAPOINTING. THEY SOUND THIN AND SEEM TO NOT PERFORM WELL ON OLDER MUSIC(CLASSIC ROCK) THE AMP SYSTEM I DEMOED THEM ON MUST HAVE BEEN SOMETHING OUT OF MY PRICE RANGE.
I AM VERY DISGUSTED WITH THEIR BASS PERFORMANCE I WENT OUT IN 2 DAYS AND SPENT $400.00 ON INFINITY IL-100S 250 WATT SUB TO MAKE UP FOR THE THIN SOUNDING BASS. NEW ENERGY CONNOISSEUR SERIES C-3 WOULD BE A BETTER BUY!
I MADE A BAD CHOICE AND I GUESS I'LL BE SELLING THEM ON E BAY.

Purchased At:   SOUND EXCHANGE